Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are some obscure horror games?

SumDrunkGuy

Honestly the early Resident Evils and Silent Hills are fairly obscure horror games in this day and age. No body makes games like that anymore. No body has for a long ass time, at least not effectively.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Some are less horror games and more adventure, some are more horror games than adventure.

Alone in the Dark
Shadow of the Comet
Dark Seed
Dark Seed 2. Fuck that mirror labyrinth.
Anchorhead.
Personal Nightmare
Hound of Shadow
Elvira, Elvira 2, Waxworks. Especially mine level of Waxworks.
Prisoner of Ice
Daughter of Serpents
Amber: Journeys Beyound

There are also Veil of Darkness and Quest for Glory 4.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Mostly looking for the kind of stuff that'd be on the PS2 since I think that's one of the more experiment pockets of video game development in (relatively) recent years.
Fancy an early Resident Evil style game fighting demons in feudal Japan? Ronin Blade/Soul of the Samurai should fit you up a treat. It's for Playstation (PS2 runs PS1 games, right?) and has two characters to choose from, static overhead camera shots, and haiku save points.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Hungry Ghosts on PS2. A first-person horror game where you control a guilty soul trapped in hell trying to redeem yourself and leave hell behind. Any decision you'd make will bite your ass in future and affect your... rank. Yes, it tracks player's behavior, acting full holier than thou. Which makes sense considering your objective.
Combat is here and is rather... interesting, uses sticks controller's sticks to fight back instead of button mashing.
Japanese lang only but gamefaq's FAQ gives subtitles in english. This shit is so obscure you'd barely find any comprehensive video guide. I once streamed it but never finished. Gotta do a supercool let's play someday at least.

Last edited:

Lurker47

Savant
Hungry Ghosts on PS2. A first-person horror game where you control a guilty soul trapped in hell trying to redeem yourself and leave hell behind. Any decision you'd make will bite your ass in future and affect your... rank. Yes, it tracks player's behavior, acting full holier than thou. Which makes sense considering your objective.
Combat is here and is rather... interesting, uses sticks controller's sticks to fight back instead of button mashing.
Japanese lang only but gamefaq's FAQ gives subtitles in english. This shit is so obscure you'd barely find any comprehensive video guide. I once streamed it but never finished. Gotta do a supercool let's play someday at least.
Sounds amazing. Glad you posted this awesome game.

Monk

Arcane
"15 Forgotten Horror Games Based on Popular Movies"

Back in 1988, a Psycho game came out for DOS, Amiga, Atari ST, and Commodore 64. The setup isn’t that bad. Much like the doomed Arbogast in the original movie, you’re a detective whose search for stolen jewels leads you to the Bates Motel. The game takes the form of a puzzle adventure as you have four hours to solve the mystery. Unfortunately, if you’re attacked by Norma Bates, a dog, or a ghost (?!?), you will fall asleep and lose precious time.

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Some suggestions, for people that don't mind retrogame visuals:

Darkwood

Swallow the Sea

Lone Survivor
/ Super Lone Survivor

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Don't know if this is obscure, but not mentioned yet in this thread:

I have been playing through the excellent horror game "DARKWOOD".

This game's tension grabbed me by the balls hard. It's stark, dark, and terrifying. Great game, highly reccommended. Don't let the slightly tired survival theme fool you. Give this one a whirl, if you have strong nerves.

20230428004605-1.jpg

20221106230654-1.jpg

Top down perspective, 2d graphics. Gather supplies, upgrade your shelter, and survive attacks by monsters at night. Complete quests and progress the over-arching narrative. Meet characters, complete quests.
Limited FOV due to darkness, reflex-based souls-like combat.
To this is added excellent graphic, sound and location design, character art, dialogues, and an appropriately dark narrative.

The maps are randomized, but contain handmade locations. I found this a really effective design. The environmental storytelling within the locations is great, letting the player piece together the story on his own. The atmosphere of the game is thick, sticky, suffocating. Play this at night with headphones, get ready to shit bricks.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Honestly the early Resident Evils and Silent Hills are fairly obscure horror games in this day and age. No body makes games like that anymore. No body has for a long ass time, at least not effectively.
Check out "ALISA", new game inspired by this Alone in the Dark school of games. Haven't played it, Codex consensus seems to be that it's serviceable.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1335530/Alisa/

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
ALISA is indeed excellent survival horror, but I’m here to recommend an Indonesian title called DreadOut. Very rough around the edges but filled with great ideas and keeps you guessing.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
If fishing/horror crossovers are your thing then you can try Dredge.
or this:

Saw a different take on the indie Resident Evil formula last week, one with an experience system and skill level ups.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom