Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are the best/most perfect games

Cadmus

Arcane
Man I forgot about AoE II that game gives me the same feeling as well

sser

Arcane
Developer
Hitman: Blood Money.

If you said 'make me a game about a hitman that takes place in puzzle-esque maps with near-endless ways to complete them,' you're probably not going to get the best game ever just by the defaulting and prohibiting nature of the task, but you can definitely design a game that's perfect within those constraints, or within that context. Blood Money is that game, IMO.

Cadmus

Arcane

If you said 'make me a game about a hitman that takes place in puzzle-esque maps with near-endless ways to complete them,' you're probably not going to get the best game ever just by the defaulting and prohibiting nature of the task, but you can definitely design a game that's perfect within those constraints, or within that context. Blood Money is that game, IMO.
Oh shit yeah that's another one.

And I absolutely get the vibe from JA2 but I never managed to play it for long. It's on my list.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
BG2, Thief 1(not Gold, without extra levels) and 2, Myth 1 and 2, Diablo 1, Heart of Darkness, Captain Claw, DMC3, Street Fighter 2 and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.

Forgot to add: Knights of the Chalice and Volgarr the Viking.

Last edited:

Xeon

Augur
Suikoden II
Breath of Fire III
Fallout 2
SMT: Nocturne
GTA: San Andreas

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Fallout 1
Tie Fighter/X-Wing
Quake 1
Starcraft 1
Wipeout 2097/Wipeout 3

It's hard for me to think of something (besides maybe some minor stuff) that I would like to change about these games.

Honorable mention:
Mount and Blade - it's an awesome and addictive game already but there's a lot of room for improvement.

Deleted member 7219

Yeah, I'd put Hitman: Blood Money, Commandos (and expansion), Commandos 2 and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory on the list. All of these games reward patience and planning and if they have any faults, they are so tiny as to be barely noticeable.

Ivan

Arcane
Super Mario World
Super Mario 3
Rayman Origins
Mega Man X
Super Metroid (followed CLOSELY by Metroid: Zero Mission and Metroid Prime)
Fallout 1
Planescape Torment
Mark of the Ninja
Devil May Cry 3
STALKER (choose your mod: ZLP, Oblivion Lost)
STALKER: Call of Pripyat (Misery 1.0)
Hitman: Blood Money
Thief 2
Silent Hill 2
System Shock 2
Doom
Blood

Last edited:

Cadmus

Arcane
the best/most perfect games...
...are rarely the same ones.
:dance:
It's easy or at least feasible to achieve perfection or near perfection when you're striving for mediocrity, OTOH when aiming for the stars it's doomed to fail.
meh, no, you're just supposed to go on your feelz and not start a whats an RPG debate :cool:

I'm actually reminded of many games I liked in this thread, like Chaos Theory.

DemonKing

Arcane
I'd agree that "perfect" and "best" don't always match up. The original Half Life was easily the best shooter to come out in 1998, but it wasn't perfect - the awful endboss and final levels saw to that. However what led up to that point was so good it will always remain etched on my memory.

If I wanted to make a list of games I'm happy to wax lyrical about to anyone then:

Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord
Eye of the Beholder 2
Thief
Company of Heroes
Rome: Total War
FEAR
Icewind Dale
Knights of the Old Republic
Tomb Raider (reboot)
Max Payne 2
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
Commandos 2
Far Cry

baturinsky

Arcane
Not the best, but nearly perfect:

Doom
Quake
Chrono Trigger
GTA3:SA
DmC
Hitman: Blood Money
Dishonored
Civilization 4

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
JA2
Pool of Radiance
Chaos strikes back
Quake 1
Ultima V
Unreal Tournament 1999
C&C 2: Tiberian Sun
Wizardry 7
Lemmings
Elite
Blade Runner
Full Throttle
HoMM 2
X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter
Myth 2

IMO these games were most successful in achieving their design goals.

Last edited:

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Disciples 2.

Coz it does everything right. Art, visuals, music, sound effects, voice actors, game mechanics, plot twists, endings - all components form a singular masterpiece. There always was something magical about this game. I remember that when it was released, everybody compared it to HoMM 3 for some forsaken reason that is beyond me. People were like:"Cmon, why do u even play Dis2? It's short, slow, boring, dependent on random a lot. Play HoMM 3 - dats a good strategy". Jeez, I DO NOT WANT yer good strategy! I love the slow pace of Disciples two and ramdoness only brings adrenaline element in turn-based mechanics. And Dis2 isn't all about deep strategy and tons of units. It's a game you enjoy looking and listening to, following the story. Just look at this shit with headphones on:

Death Knight's "They will suffer" makes my beard crawl even today and combat music is so fucking hyping. The game never pretended to be a super deep strategy - it has only 4 factions (perfectly balanced and decently variable tho), but it is the best TBS atmosphere and plot-wise I ever played. Therefore, the best single-player TBS for me. Perfection.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
If I want good atmosphere and story ill watch a movie.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom