Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are the Codex's go to youtube channels for rpg reviews/discussion?

OneCheekyKunt

Barely Literate
i am aware of matt chat and that is about it

i also will watch totalbiscuit but he doesnt really cover many rpg's although he seems to have pretty good taste in games IMO

Multi-headed Cow

I don't have any. I just talk to buddybros on The Steams. Let me give you a taste of this evening:

11:57 PM - MHC: My 2nd character's story is that he fell in love with Sera. But then when Sera said "Oh its because we both like women yeah?" My Character was crushed, and felt as though he could never love a women ever again. After discovering Dorian being gay while helping him confront his Father, my character lied about knowing more about gays to establish a relationship out of experimentation, but after having sex my character realizes that he isn't gay and that there was no women to love him. But then he really got to know Josephine and felt attracted by her intelligence, hard work, passion, and pride of her family. He became interested, and began showing shines of flirtation. Leliana picks up on this flirting and then confronts my character, my character broke any doubt he had about his feelings for Josephine by admitting to Leliana that he does love Josephine, helping him come terms to himself of ever loving a women ever again. Leliana acting as a big sister to Josephine warns me to not play with around with her. My character returns to Josephine explaining the situation and admitted my character's true feelings to her, and then later kiss sealing the bond between the two of them. (Still in story progression of my second playthrough, so more love between the two awaits.)

..... I have too much fun with these roleplaying games. I'm still disappointed my first female character couldn't date Cole. But if anyone wants to hear her story just ask xD.
Wednesday, January 14, 2015
12:06 AM - Buddybro: I read NONE of that.
12:06 AM - Buddybro: Take that!
12:06 AM - MHC: !
12:07 AM - Buddybro: I wish I had the smug smiley.
12:07 AM - Buddybro: It's like 80 cents.
12:33 AM - Buddybro: Hey friend c:
12:33 AM - Buddybro: How are you c:
12:33 AM - Buddybro: Are you well? c:
12:43 AM - MHC: I WAS DRINKING ORANGE JUICE AND EATING A LUNCH MEAT SANDWICH AND WATCHING 40 YEAR OLD MEN TALK ABOUT BOARDGAMES IN A VIDEO
12:43 AM - Buddybro: YOU NEED TO GO OUTSIDE.
12:44 AM - MHC: NO
12:44 AM - Buddybro: THAT DOESN'T SOUND HEALTHY.
12:44 AM - MHC: WHAT ELSE IS A PERSON GOING TO DO AT 12:44 AM
12:45 AM - Buddybro: I MEAN.
12:45 AM - Buddybro: WELL.
12:45 AM - Buddybro: PLAY VIDEO GAMES.
12:45 AM - MHC: All videogame a shit Friendo, we've been over this.
12:45 AM - MHC: Board games are the future.
12:46 AM - Buddybro: I feel like that isn't even remotely true!
12:47 AM - MHC: gasmanjay@hotmail.co.uk - tinycom1
12:47 AM - Buddybro: c:
1:01 AM - Buddybro: Cow would you mind donating enough to the kickstarter so that we can get all side missions?
1:01 AM - MHC: pls no
1:01 AM - Buddybro: DO IT OR ELSE.
1:23 AM - Buddybro: What a joke. So I go out with this chic yesterday for pizza. I'm like fukk it, I go outside for a cig and @ the gas station across the street is my hair stylist who who drunk off her ass pumping gas. She runs over and gives me a hug. The Myanmar(ian) chic -- i dig chics from myanmar, lol -- she comes outside and starts yelling @ me like "who the fukk is she" blah blah blah then wants me to take her home, lol. So anyway, I take her home and she is pouting the whole way. I go to drop her off and she's like "that's it -- not even a kiss goodbye" and I'm like well my breath smells of smoke but you can kiss something else and she starts sucking my cock like crazy, i mean crazy!!! then i bust a load on her face and she is sitting in my car analizing her cum face for about 5 min. Chics in Amerikka are totally fukkin strange for the most part.
1:23 AM - Buddybro: Where am I Cow.
1:25 AM - MHC: I dunno
2:26 AM - MHC: 4th stretch goal
2:26 AM - Buddybro: COME ONNNNN WEEB GHOUL.

Hopefully now you see the advantages of cultivating people to talk about Shadowrun with.+M

bussinrounds

Augur
I think that was the same retard who was going nuts because turn based won on the vote for the new Torment.
QrgdeZH.png

There's a thread similar to this here http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/good-gaming-channels-on-youtube.91187/

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like Matt for his interviews, but I dislike youtube reviews in general and generally despise that modern trend of doing everything in video rather than text. I'd much rather read a review at my own (pretty quick) pace than listen to someone talk for 10 minutes.

OneCheekyKunt

Barely Literate
I like Matt for his interviews, but I dislike youtube reviews in general and generally despise that modern trend of doing everything in video rather than text. I'd much rather read a review at my own (pretty quick) pace than listen to someone talk for 10 minutes.

yeah, i guess i shouldnt have included the review part, but i was thinking more along the lines of channels similar to matt chat with interviews with developers and people in the industry

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
OneCheekyKunt The truth is that there is no good oldschool RPG YouTube personality. Most of them have a broader focus than that, and even the ones that seem to like RPGs more than other genres seem obsessed with analyzing the plots of BioWare games.

There is a niche here for somebody to fill - I'd love for there to be an official Codex YouTube channel - but it's a lot of work. The closest thing we have right now might be LPers like RK47 and SniperHF:

http://www.youtube.com/user/r3dknight/videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/sniperhf/videos

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The Glorious RPGCodex doesn't get their information from shitty Youtube videos and Twatter twats done by millennials with the attention span of a gnat, for an audience of millennials with the attention span of a gnat. We actually have a novel system of ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAMES and forming opinions, then discussing them. It's some pretty out-there, avant-garde stuff but that's what makes us the most prestigious RPG magazine in the universe.

As for Infinitron's suggestion, unfortunately "everything is shit" doesn't make for good entertainment. The kids these days just want to hear how AWESUM everything is and why they're such a good person for buying it.

OneCheekyKunt

Barely Literate
The Glorious RPGCodex doesn't get their information from shitty Youtube videos and Twatter twats done by millennials with the attention span of a gnat, for an audience of millennials with the attention span of a gnat. We actually have a novel system of ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAMES and forming opinions, then discussing them. It's some pretty out-there, avant-garde stuff but that's what makes us the most prestigious RPG magazine in the universe.

As for Infinitron's suggestion, unfortunately "everything is shit" doesn't make for good entertainment. The kids these days just want to hear how AWESUM everything is and why they're such a good person for buying it.

like i stated in my previous post, im not really looking for "review" of games type channels

if u have seen matt chat, that is the type of stuff i am looking for, just another source

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
if u have seen matt chat, that is the type of stuff i am looking for, just another source

In that case, I don't think there is one. Matt is one-of-a-kind. Closest thing I know of is a couple of interviews the Ultima Codex did, but that's naturally rather limited: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultimacodex/videos

This is actually something the Codex could do more easily, but I don't think there's any real demand for it. Although I do think live interviews can be useful for when you really want to dig deeply into something with lots of follow-up questions.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
:necro:

dofrtae has made an hour long review of Wizardry 7.

He knows his shit IMO, even though his way of talking isn't the most enthusiastic, his videos are pleasant to watch. At least he's not spergy like many other youtubers.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyhnYIvIKK_--PiJXCMKxQQ/featured
Joseph Anderson is very good, although most of his reviews are for non-rpg things.
I really enjoy the videos of Tasteful Understated Nerdrage. He works extremely slow but has a few cool videos out there, talking about C&C for example.
Yeah, but he hasn't made a video in years.

In general, text would be better, but its not like there's a large amount of good in-depth written rpg reviews out there, so one takes what one can get.

Neanderthal

Arcane
In general I think Zarniwoops bang on, Youtubes not worth shit overall and I value me own opinion more. That said i've watched some stuff from GaminGHD an hes pretty fucking inclined and informed.

Few worthy examples:

Last edited:

Jokzore

Arbiter
I thought the whole point of this place was to escape 'youtube channels for rpg reviews/discussion'.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Any video review under fifteen minutes is generally not worth watching

On the contrary. Any video above the mark of 15 minutes starts to be questionable. The incredibly high and praised number of youtubers like joseph anderson or matthewmatossis who demonstrate a several lacking synthesis is overwhelming. 2 hours videos with extremely poor editing and repeating the same points over and over again just to please your patrons with a lot of content, but with very tiny substance.

The only youtuber worth watching in this regard is Mark brown. His series reviewing The legnd of Zelda dungeons is impressive, with very detailed points and maps/diagram to ilustrate. Even if you disagree on his opinions, you always feel that the time was worth of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom