Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are the rules on privacy violations?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...me3s-homosexual-romance-dialogue.68405/page-4

In order to mock a developer, two or three users have dug up her personal photographs, and ridiculed her children and her family. Yes, it's on her public Facebook page, but it's entirely strange when people move from ridiculing a developer's work to the developer's personal character to the developer's family life.

Even if it is not necessarily against the rules, I wonder how moderators would react to something that they find creepy, and what actions they may normally take on doing generally creepy things.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
It is a bit creepy that people are digging up her personal info (even if it's public) and then making fun of that. Not quite the same as showing how much of a shit game designer/writer/programmer they are.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I wonder how moderators would react to something that they find creepy, and what actions they may normally take on doing generally creepy things.
Welcome to the Codex, enjoy your first day here :)

Stella Brando

Arcane
Man, we gotta toughen Wyrmlord up.
I am already quite tough as it is, but there is something quite nauseating about malicious strangers making crude remarks about a bunch of children, just because they were kids of a developer they didn't like.

Just imagine that if they keep it up years down the road, then when those children will go to school, they will find other kids shouting, "Hey look! It's the spawn of Hamburger Helper! Let's throw hamburgers at them, so their mom will stop writing gay mangas." All because Codexers nastily splashed personal pictures of her kids all over the internet. Do you really want to be a part of that potential abuse that could be inflicted on those children?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Now wait a minute. Anyone who's stupid enough to post pictures of their kids on Facebook, particularly if they take a job as a gay romance writer for a computer roleplaying game-making company like BioWare, bears at least partial responsibility for whatever happens to said pictures.

I mean where in the fuck has common sense gone in this world?

Repressed Homosexual
It's true that semi-public people posting stuff and pictures from their personal life on Facebook without having it restricted to outsiders as tightly as Guantanamo Bay, even if they're blissfully unaware of the darker sides of the Internet, leave themselves up for abuse.

That said, it's pretty disturbing and sad, and it doesn't have its place. It's not necessary to act like a stalker to prove a point.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
For you, it is a job as a gay romance writer.

For her, it is her bread and butter, and a roof over head.

Why hold somebody's job against them? Everybody has to do something to make a living.

mondblut

Arcane
Just imagine that if they keep it up years down the road, then when those children will go to school, they will find other kids shouting, "Hey look! It's the spawn of Hamburger Helper! Let's throw hamburgers at them, so their mom will stop writing gay mangas." All because Codexers nastily splashed personal pictures of her kids all over the internet. Do you really want to be a part of that potential abuse that could be inflicted on those children?

Oh my god, what a sweet vengeance that would be. The glorious Kodex finally finding a way to strike back at the destroyers of our genre, hitting them where it hurts most.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Wyrmlord, I was holding her very, very poor decision to post pictures of her young children on the internet against her. The job part was ancillary.

But now that you've shifted it there, what she apparently does do as her job is equally cretinous.

"Mommy, what do you do for a job?"

"Well, sweetie, I write stories for fantasy computer games."

"What kind of stories?"

"They're love stories, romances."

"Oh! You mean like between the handsome prince and the beautiful princess?"

"No, it's more like between the little hairy dwarf and the big, burly knight."

"..."

Majestic47

Learned
Crispy once again is the cold logic in this.
I have nothing against Hamburger Helper's family, but posting your own children's photograph leaves it open for abuse.

I do agree it is mean-spirited in nature, but you could've made the photos private instead of public to shelter them from negativity.
It was private stuff, family even. It's not recommended to show to public. Like my room.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I am already quite tough as it is, but there is something quite nauseating about malicious strangers making crude remarks about a bunch of children, just because they were kids of a developer they didn't like.

Meh. I think it says more about the people doing (and justifying) it. Creepy basement virgins and aspies saying bad stuff about pictures? ONOES

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...me3s-homosexual-romance-dialogue.68405/page-4

In order to mock a developer, two or three users have dug up her personal photographs, and ridiculed her children and her family. Yes, it's on her public Facebook page, but it's entirely strange when people move from ridiculing a developer's work to the developer's personal character to the developer's family life.

Even if it is not necessarily against the rules, I wonder how moderators would react to something that they find creepy, and what actions they may normally take on doing generally creepy things.
Which law has been broken? Information posted publicly is not private. While it might be unseemly / unwanted / derp, there's not much we can do about it. People insult other people.

Welcome to the real world.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
She is a public figure (the worst picture of her came from an interview she put out to sell her product) and information posted on her public facebook is not private.

Annie Vandermeer Mitsoda

NOT the real Annie
Honestly, I find the whole stalking thing abhorant. I mean, actually getting someone's full name, then going to their facebook profile and then copying and pasting their pictures here...isn't that a bit extreme? What's next, posting a link to her LinkedIn page? Her Twitter feed?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
this thread is a prime example of codexian attitude in regards to illusory privacy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom