Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are your favorite viking/mythology fiction thingies like books, movies etc

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Hi viking fans.

What are your favorite viking- and/or mythology-themed books, movies, comics, tv-shows, games, and so on?

My favorite re-telling of nordic mythology is probably the one found in Bulfinch's Mythology.
My favorite hollywood viking garbage is probably The Vikings with Kirk Douglas and a sultry Janet Leigh.

kazgar

Arcane
X9btEFG.png

Gregz

Arcane
Last edited:

studwick

Barely Literate
The Danish Comic-books and Cartoon Movie Valhalla (1986)!

One of my favorites is Loki's eating contest against a skinny red Jotun (In reality the redhaired Jotun is Fire personified)

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Bernard Cornwell's Saxon books are pretty good. Vinland Saga is really good as well. Probably one of the best viking themed story.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Vinland Saga:
vinland_saga_v01_p044xaq0v.jpg
For those who know what's going on in the pic, I wouldn't mind seeing a tactic like that being available for use at least once in the new Expeditions game.

mondblut

Arcane
Games: Hammer of the Gods, of course. Nothing ever comes close. For mythology in general, Celtic Tales which is in a league of its own.

Novels, Poul Anderson had some good shit. 'The Broken Sword' for one.

Movies, meh... Eric the Viking! :lol:

Severian Silk

Celtic Tales had awesome graphics for its time! I love the dithering effect they used.
:love:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Arena multiplayer of Rune was so good, decapitating someone and then beating them to death with their own severed head = priceless.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Arena multiplayer of Rune was so good, decapitating someone and then beating them to death with their own severed head = priceless.
low gravity fights were cool too
kind of like jedi academy except gigantic axes and swords (and limbs) being thrown around

Roobenator

Novice
Valhalla Rising
I saw this a few years ago, it has Mads Mikkelsen in it as a badass warrior. Can't say too much about the plot. It was a shit, if I remember correctly. And the general ambiance was pretty intense.
I second 13th warrior, that is one of my favourite "historical" movies to watch drunk as it isn't too heavy but still builds a great atmosphere, plus it's actually partly based on real historical source material.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom