Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What do you think about AoD?

Rate AoD

• Good

Votes: 123 58.3%
  • Bad

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • Meh

Votes: 78 37.0%

• Total voters

Rpgsaurus Rex

I really didn't like the awkward 3D graphics - what's the purpose, if the models aren't pretty anyway, and there is 0 functionality to it? It would have looked so much better in a stylized 2D, isometric PoV or some such.

The game itself is fine, I guess, but really not my type of thing. Tactical RPG where you only control one character? Meh. Lots of dialogue and skill checks? Would be fine, if it had a gameworld like PS:T that you actually grow to care about, but it doesn't.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I like it quite a lot. It is a very focused game that delivers exactly what it intends to and not a kilobyte more--I think that might be its biggest enemy.

The writing is very serviceable: It adequately sets up the hostility of the world, it is believable, never gives too much detail, holds the attention, and creates some pretty distinct characters. I was surprised by this aspect of AoD a lot. Usually a game of this scale will have writing that is overblown to the point of being laughable or minimalist to the point of being non existent. It is also quite consistent with it's own universe: if you are a trusting, caring person, you will be screwed over and over again. But once you walk away from it all, you probably won't distinctly remember a single line or outstanding plot point. After a while, it all starts to blend together into a collection of political and literal back stabs. Something similar happens to the locations of the game (that I've seen). In game, I remember the music being very appropriate and subtle while, out of game, I can't remember a single note of it (and that is not from lack of experience).

Is it fair to expect these things from a game of AoD's scale? Maybe not, and maybe the full game will change my opinion. I certainly hope so.

I would also like to point out that the constantly shifting camera angle made it very hard for me to traverse and recognize the town, at least initially. Now instead of recognizing a building's profile from one angle I have to be able to discern it from quite a lot more. I think this is my biggest gripe with AoD, but I also recognize that it is far too late to do anything about it. The entire game has been designed around it at this point. It has always been my opinion that a fixed camera is the best solution for an RPG of this style: it allows you to design the most visually pleasing and iconic locations with the least effort/assets and it saves the player a lot of annoyance.

As for the much discussed combat difficulty, I quite enjoy it. I do not even believe it is a very difficult game, but it has a very steep initial learning curve. You either know what you are doing or you rage until you do. Once you get over that initial hurdle, it is a matter of trying different things to destroy the large battles. Am I completely proud of the way I have done things? Perhaps climbing up a watchtower's ladder to take on the Aurellian camp one at a time isn't the most physical use of a battle turn, but I felt quite relieved when it worked. Some people believe that dice rolls mean too much in combat, and I would be lying if I said that I never felt that in the early game, but towards the end positioning and weapon choice are the deciding factor. My only concern is that lack of interesting and unique enemy abilities might become noticeable in the full game.

Rpgsaurus Rex

IMO it came down to them being too ambitious. The game works, but as you say it just feels to big for its budget.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
My egocentric answer would be bad, but still voted meh as the game tries to bring some incline in these dark times, so props for the effort.

The gameplay basically amounts to combat. And while the fighting has two significant advantages of being turn based and hard, mechanic wise it's basically Fallout. Fallout got a fair share of flak for its combat, but at least it was smooth and rewarding with the cool descriptions and animations. Not really the case here, whacking someone's head in is not fun in a good way (encounter design, interesting ruleset), nor is it fun in a simple, "childish" way (like Fallout was). Also, drop shipping into the combat is just awful, why exactly would an assassin kill his target right in front of a clearly stronger body guard?

The part where you click dialogue lines based on the way you distributed skill points and get teleported around is just... not for me, really. I don't even consider this to be a computer game and the only way I could be slightly interested in it is exceptional writing. Which is not there at all.

The thing that really baffles me about this game is the way it was made from the technical point of view. It is ugly, it is poorly optimized, the colours are awful, the animations stiff, the models poor and the game does not make any interesting use of the 3d engine at all! You get static 3d screens fading to black in between, wow, really? Even hiring some decent artist to paint a few scenes for the cyoa part would be a better idea here. Cause me doing something in a 3d engine only to get a blackout and another static screen is completely pointless. I really have no idea why the decision to go 3d was made, as the way it was done it basically amounts to making the project exponentially more costly and time consuming for no reason whatsoever.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Agree.... It would be better, cheaper and done much faster if done in 2D Screens mode with some animations like Loren Amazon princess or Planet stronghold and maybe tactical screens with Iso view and sprites for combat like in Realms of Arcania... With optional party members and/or NPCs awarded throu playthrough. Game is still good though.... just over ambitous.

Monad

Learned
My egocentric answer would be bad, but still voted meh as the game tries to bring some incline in these dark times, so props for the effort.

The gameplay basically amounts to combat. And while the fighting has two significant advantages of being turn based and hard, mechanic wise it's basically Fallout. Fallout got a fair share of flak for its combat, but at least it was smooth and rewarding with the cool descriptions and animations. Not really the case here, whacking someone's head in is not fun in a good way (encounter design, interesting ruleset), nor is it fun in a simple, "childish" way (like Fallout was). Also, drop shipping into the combat is just awful, why exactly would an assassin kill his target right in front of a clearly stronger body guard?

The part where you click dialogue lines based on the way you distributed skill points and get teleported around is just... not for me, really. I don't even consider this to be a computer game and the only way I could be slightly interested in it is exceptional writing. Which is not there at all.

The thing that really baffles me about this game is the way it was made from the technical point of view. It is ugly, it is poorly optimized, the colours are awful, the animations stiff, the models poor and the game does not make any interesting use of the 3d engine at all! You get static 3d screens fading to black in between, wow, really? Even hiring some decent artist to paint a few scenes for the cyoa part would be a better idea here. Cause me doing something in a 3d engine only to get a blackout and another static screen is completely pointless. I really have no idea why the decision to go 3d was made, as the way it was done it basically amounts to making the project exponentially more costly and time consuming for no reason whatsoever.

This is why low budget games will never make it. They'll get criticized for stupid shit like "stiff animations". I thought gameplay was the most important thing but all you assclowns ever criticize are fucking animations and graphics.

Johannes

Arcane
Since there's no real interaction with the world, yes, just using some nice painted screens everywhere outside of combat would've been a better decision. Then a separate combat map.

Kinda like bigger cities in Betrayal at Krondor, for example.

I think that would be a great thing, having painted backgrounds, and city maps with just clickable stuff and people. And just combat maps. How much cheaper it would be I havn't got a clue about, since they AOD have not payed artists much I ... hmmm.... nevermind.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kinda like bigger cities in Betrayal at Krondor, for example.

Hmmm...

BAK-Ch02-0325.jpg
Mitt-Romney1-e1334258751834.jpg

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, it's a pretty convenient and efficient solution. Just hire a good artists to draw some background, add some detailed and atmospheric writing and your're all set. It would have been perfect for a game like AoD.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
This is why low budget games will never make it. They'll get criticized for stupid shit like "stiff animations". I thought gameplay was the most important thing but all you assclowns ever criticize are fucking animations and graphics.
Yes you dumbfuck, it's not like my whole point was that this game would benefit from more simplistic and ascetic presentation.

Also, if you wanted to act all edgy butthurt about "gameplay" you could probably pick a better game for it as AoD devs don't seem to be too fond of it themselves, but whatever, morons gonna moron.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, it's a pretty convenient and efficient solution. Just hire a good artists to draw some background, add some detailed and atmospheric writing and your're all set. It would have been perfect for a game like AoD.

Problem is, if your entire game is a town, you won't have much left.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Game.

I'm okay with the 3D world. It adds character. Also, anybody can make a text-based CYOA. By making an explorable 3D world, VD and co are learning useful game development skills, that may help them in the future to make games that actually need one.

Johannes

Arcane
If the world was actually interactive outside of dialogue screens, I'd agree that it would be worth it. But as it is, when sneaking, initiating combat, climbing, everything is done through scripted dialogue, it doesn't really add much.

Making a text-based CYOA might be easy technically but that does not mean making a QUALITY text CYOA is easy. Regardless a text-based CYOA with some props you can move around in, hardly improves the experience for most.

Grim Monk

Arcane
Got it last week and here are my first impressions:

I really liked :greatjob: it.

Tried 12 character builds, and won the game about 6 times...

Also, why are some :? people saying it not an RPG just because a lot of action is text driven?

Darklands Gameplay
wxxqujiw.x3u.jpg

It may not be your cup of tea, but it has legitimate CRPG precedence...

Anyway, I can ;) now make a character that will reliably win about 60% of the fights in the demo.

Will play a bit more before posting my criticism/suggestions...

zeitgeist

Magister
Great screenshot, now compare it to a typical AoD screenshot.

new_dialogue_font.jpg

Notice anything different?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Agreed. Listening to the storyteller or not should also have lockpicking, seducing, climbing, digging, spellcasting options etc. And yes, this screenshot is "typical".

Stinger

Arcane
Yeah considering the context of that it's a pretty bad example of whatever you're trying to portray.

Can you find an actual example of a proper quest that forces you down a linear path with minimal options to branch out?

Tycn

Savant
I think AoD may be the best RPG evar. Single character combat is inherently less tactical for reasons already mentioned but it's enjoyable to find a strategy that works and choice of equipment being of consequence also helps, which is more than can be said for many other esteemed RPGs. The writing is more than adequate to achieve intended effect and the choice is impressive, as promised. Graphically it's fine although camera occasionally feels slightly impeding with buildings blocking NPCs from view.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom