Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Dexter

Arcane
Been trying to get through my immense Backlog on Steam and started with some Pixel games:

The Final Station: Russian-made post apocalyptic 2D pixel horror/mystery shooting game where you play as a train conductor that has to get out at every station due to some government policy that requires you to find a code for blockers before you are allowed to go on, have to accomplish some government missions while rescuing survivors for money and having to manage your pistol and shotgun ammo against the urge of wanting to explore every area of a map and kill everything. The worst part of the game was probably the "train" parts where the survival mechanics for passengers are kind of stupid in that you have to solve mini-puzzles to keep the train operational and constantly give them food and medicine that you collect on away missions from dispensers to keep em alive.
k2u4q.jpg
txu7j.jpg
4huwf.jpg

Rating: Okay time-waster with distinct style for like 4-5 hours, but nothing special.

Punch Club: Kind of a mix between Adventure game and 2D pixelized fighting management sim in old "Streets of Rage"-style with a lot of humor and gimmicks. You don't actually fight yourself, but have to train your character to keep his stats up (Strength, Agility, Stamina) and pick one of the three trees and fighting styles with distinct skills to specialize on while balancing Health/Food/Happiness/Energy of said character. The stats and skills aren't that particularly well balanced, which makes specific builds a lot more viable and others might be dead-ends and hamper game progression. Your character starts off as a Rookie Fighter who wants to avenge his dead dad going up the leagues, getting involved in Underground Fighting Leagues and eventually fighting mutants in the sewers and power-armored enemies in Evil Lairs.
rguoq.jpg
3uuk0.jpg
okucw.jpg
s5usc.jpg

Rating: Fun for what it is, funny at times, a bit unbalanced.

WESTERADO: Double Barreled: Another 2D pixel game where you play as a gunslinger and have to avenge the murder of your family and burning down of your barn, which throws you out into an open world Western world where you have to talk to lots of people, solve quests and shoot people for money and progression.
20170420055712_163unp.jpg
20170420060953_1fvug3.jpg

Rating: Couldn't get warm with this the hour or so I played, maybe I'll take another look at some point.

Dropsy: Wacky slightly surreal 2D pixel-adventure where you play a clown looking like he came from a horror-movie, have to hug people and objects around town day and night opening up more and more of the "open-world" overworld map, solve people's problems so they stop being sad with your animal friends (starting off with a dog that can go around town, dig up stuff and piss on hydrants) and ultimately discover his true nature and mystery behind him existing.
blubi.jpg
29u39.jpg
pgunz.jpg
kiuz8.jpg

Rating: Good for 5-6 hours pixel adventuring.

Grim Fandango Remastered: Didn't remember very much about the game beside the starting area and a few minor details, although I'm pretty sure I finished it around the time it came out, so it feels like an almost entirely new experience. The best about it is still the art design/art deco/noir style/backgrounds/music/setting which even today still feels fresh and interesting characters. Didn't remember that many puzzles being based on "moon logic" as there were though.
e1uj3.jpg
xyu61.jpg
aougw.jpg
2dufz.jpg

Rating: Still great, but my memory remembered it being better.

The Banner Saga: Beautiful art and music and seems to have actual C&C woven into the story regarding a few heroes and overarching events, downside of which is that a lot of the overworld events are very simplistic and arbitrary choices that either do something positive, nothing at all or something negative. Combat starts off easy and gets more challenging the farther one gets and the abilities and their strength-HP/armor system offers different tacticool choices of how to take the enemies down. Story and characters seem varied and mildly interesting so far compelling me to keep going.
5bu5g.jpg
lqu0f.jpg
5ouaj.jpg
bgu8f.jpg
rmul4.jpg
94ujm.jpg

Rating: Much better than I thought it would be, so far I like it overall.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Final stage of Fallout 2.

Managed to find all the parts needed to sail the Valdez to the Enclave HQ. I had to return to Vault 13, since I must have missed that one locker with the computer parts the first time I was there. Was enraged to find the nice, cuddly Deathclaws had been wiped out by the Enclave. Extra sad when I returned to Navarro and released the Deathclaw prisoner there, and he had high hopes of saving his people, not knowing they were already dead, and me not given the option to tell him. Oversight? C&C (can Vault 13 be saved if I'm quicker?)?

Cyber Dog was killed in the first fight at the Enclave HQ; those Enclave guards are some mean mofos. Vic is suprisingly (for a middle age, overweigh guy) effective with a Gauss Rifle.

I have a feeling I've missed some potential companions due to low Charisma.

EDIT: Fuck that Enclave basement with the electrical floors. Can it get more tedious?

Last edited:

pippin

Charisma says how many companions you can have, it's the number/2. If you had 4 or 5, you can have 2. (iirc)
If you have not played with the added content, do so and go through that very weird dungeon that was cut from the game. It sometimes feels like a minigame on itself, but as it was cut from the game it has little to no relation to the outside world.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I've only had five offers: Sulik, Vic, Cassidy, "Deathclaw scholar" (can't recall his name, but he died in the first fight), and Cyber Dog. Not excactly the most impressive group.
I got the impression Myron could be talked into joining if Charisma and/or Speechcraft was higher.

I plan on playing with Restoration Project some time.

laclongquan

Arcane
Get power armor for them to increase their survivalablity.

Gecko has one ghoul ready to join.

And you missed Broken Hills? Otherwise how can you not have Marcus?

Robobrain and Myron are a bit too hidden for you I guess.

Modron

Arcane
There is another Cyberdog as well and Dogmeat from a random special encounter plus you can get shotgun wed for another meat shield on top of whatever npc limit you have.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
And you missed Broken Hills? Otherwise how can you not have Marcus?

Fuck, I misunderstood his comment about traveling with a horde.
I can't think straight when I got the flu...

Anyway it seems to be a moot point since I'm stuck on the oil platform at the very end. Frank Horrigan + Turrets + 4 man Patrol is too much too fight alone. I can't influence the patrol due to low Cha and/or Speechcraft, I guess. But worse: I can't use the presidential keycard to reprogram the turrets.

Krivol

Magister
Vic, Cass and Sulik are best 3 of all (wih power armours and gauss weapon). Goris is meh. Other I remember are:
- ghul from Gecko (Lenny?) - useless, even with high healing
- waifu or husband (Modoc)
- Marcus (pretty decent but only with pulse/plasma guns, he tends to act like Ian when he has minigun or rocket launcher)
- Myron (look for him :P)
- Cyberbrain (yeah, look for him :P)
- few dogs (one jinxed, 1 or two dogmeats, 2-3 cyberdogs)

I think that's all.

Well 3 other in unofficial patch, but nothing special in my opinion.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Tips for the final fight:

# Use drugs. Now is a good time to go Psycho.

# Put the 4-man squad between you and Horrigan. Or the other way around. Random shots are random.

# I hope you have lots of Super Stimpaks. You're gonna need them.

# If your <Weapon skill of choice> is high enough, go for aimed shots. Not to the eyes, but to the legs. Cripple him. That gun of his will eventually run out of ammo, and then he's forced to use melee attacks.

# One possible way to activate the turrets on the console is to try to log on, select "Help", then "Yes", then "Back to log on" and you might be able to use the Presidential Access Key.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Tips for the final fight:

# Use drugs. Now is a good time to go Psycho.

# Put the 4-man squad between you and Horrigan. Or the other way around. Random shots are random.

# I hope you have lots of Super Stimpaks. You're gonna need them.

# If your <Weapon skill of choice> is high enough, go for aimed shots. Not to the eyes, but to the legs. Cripple him. That gun of his will eventually run out of ammo, and then he's forced to use melee attacks.

# One possible way to activate the turrets on the console is to try to log on, select "Help", then "Yes", then "Back to log on" and you might be able to use the Presidential Access Key.

Tried all that except for going for the legs.
But the big problem is that Horrigan keeps getting criticals with half his attacks.

baturinsky

Arcane
Tried Punch Club. It's fun for a while, but then it's pure grind for skill points. Only they matter, because stats are decaying too fast to bother around them - you only have to bump them to lock with skills. And you don't even have to try hard to get those, because you get them even if you lose the combat.

Combat system is interesting, but too vague, and evidently quite buggy.

Krivol

Magister
Because now I can (new rig) I'm playing Witcher 3 (and I love it) and GTA 4 (because never played it, I had it on my steam for a while and I need to finish that before GTA 5 - which won't buy for 60 dollars...) - and it looks like few steps back from SA. Not a bad game, but I am missing off-roads and char development. Also phone is pain in the ass (dating with freaking anybody... whos idea was this?).

And still messing around with Battle Brothers. You may be butthurt about world simulation, but it's still a great game.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Finished my first playthrough of Salt & Sanctuary. It's very much a 2D version of Dark Souls and therefore about as much of an RPG as Dark Souls (which is to say, borderline at most). Combat is much easier, but there's extensive platforming to which I probably died about as many times as in combat. A fun action game with RPG elements that permit a variety of playstyles.

Ivan

Arcane
Eternal Darkness (emulated on Dolphin)

I really enjoyed this one. Let me say that before I lay out all of the cons, this is definitely more than the sum of its parts. It plays like classic Resident Evil, without the resource management. It has a really cool magic system that's used to solve puzzles, summon creatures (for combart AND puzzle solving), healing and more. The game features a quaint "sanity" meter that will deteriorate the more you encounter zombies/monsters and will yield cool effects (these are best experienced firsthand) that usually break the 4th wall. The narrative is pretty darn cool, as is the storytelling, which slowly grants access to more and more of the main hub area of the game. It felt like Mario 64 in a way, since you experience these mini stories that slowly let you explore the main hub, as you attain the powers and spells that the other protagonists pick up in their stories.

I'm disappointed this didn't get the successor funded on kickstarter, but IDK what the drama behind the dev is. All in all, it wasn't quite what i expected, but it has enough character and charm to warrant a playthrough.
:3/5:

Lostpleb

Learned
I'm disappointed this didn't get the successor funded on kickstarter, but IDK what the drama behind the dev is. All in all, it wasn't quite what i expected, but it has enough character and charm to warrant a playthrough.
The co-founder of Precursor Games was prosecuted and jailed for multiple sex offenses.

Shadow of the Eternals is still undergoing development. The latest preview video was released 6 months ago on their youtube channel, although I have no idea where the money is coming from.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Next up on my play list is the first Delta Force game.
Enlightened Ones, plese tell me why I should play it, or not play it.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Got the Hezrou Guardian down in ToEE on my second try. I can't see any upcoming fight topping this one in difficulty. I had to retry it three times before succeeding.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom