Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Good. Now play some FMs to (at least) triple that number.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I'm dabbling into Romance of the Three Kingdoms 10 and getting acclimated to greater RPG focus. Playing on PS2 because goddamn I can't find the PC version + PUK for PC anywhere online. What does our resident expert RK47 think about ROTTK10?

Last edited:

v1rus

Arcane
Tried Heroes of the Storm cuz of the whole 2.0 thing. Quite fucking fun, and surprisingly, seems quite deep. Arthas riding a bike still grinds my gears tho.

Hollow Knight and Vanquish. Vanquish is finally playable with a decent framerate and Hollow Knight is surprisingly good, I thought it was going to be hipster garbage. I feel like the whole Metroid clone thing has gone too far with too many games trying to do the same thing, but this one feels SPESHUL.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I'm dabbling into Romance of the Three Kingdoms 10 and getting acclimated to greater RPG focus. Playing on PS2 because goddamn I can't find the PC version + PUK for PC anywhere online. What does our resident expert RK47 think about ROTTK10?

Probably the last great one in the series with RPG twist.
There are serious flaws with the mini games and unit balance as well but at least the AI knew how to play (with PUK installed) without PUK installed, forget it. The AI is a lame duck without PUK. And campaign mode is brainless. Fire tactics are insanely effective if you control the wind, and if you own Retreat guaranteed horse, feel free to harass. I did that with Lu Bu and it felt really cheap sending in 10,000 men constantly to disrupt city development and have them waste resources trying to destroy you.

Vorark

Erudite
Finished Fire Emblem 3 (Monsho no Nazo), Book 1

First ever FF game for me, and loved it.

Good:
- For such an old game, gameplay is simply great: interesting, difficult, complex and balanced (your fags can die easily through the entire game).
- A lot of factors has to be taken into consideration when tacticuling: unit range, jobs, weapons, terrain type, possibility of counterattack and so on. And by "taken into consideration" I mean "You don't - your fag dies".
- Permadeath. :obviously:
- You can pull off some unorthodox actions by teleporting units, utilizing mount/unmount command, etc.
- Battle animations look great, after all these years.
- Story is minimal, which is great in such game imo: 90% combat, 8% preparing for combat, 2% everything else.
- Strong womyn on pegasuses, distributing swords - OMG tis haevan!
- Animu-free, except unit portraits. I've heard newest games aren't as good in this aspect.
- Liked the lack of rock-paper-scissors mechanic from Advance Wars (and later FF games, as I've read).

Ugly:
- UI takes some getting used to...
- Some "jobs" (heroes) are clearly superior to others (armorfags).
- Unofficial translation isn't that great (glitchy fonts, etc).

Bad:
- No way of knowing which unit is good and which is shit (stat growths), without either leveling them up for 2-3 levels or using a meta-knowledge (FAQ).
- Very random (criticals, sudden enemy reinforcements), which can be too much for some people.

Verdict:

:5/5:

Looking forward to moar.

Hah, if you liked it then you'll love FE12 too (New Mystery of the Emblem ~Heroes of Light and Shadow). It's a remake of FE3 for the Nintendo DS. There's an excellent translation available. It's one of the best entries in the series, imo.

I'd recommend, 4 (SNES) and 7 (GBA) too. Heard good things about the GC and Wii titles but have yet to play them.

It's only the 3DS entries that went full animu.

(Last edit, I promise) Good resources for the series are the HG101 article and Serenes Forest.

Last edited:

HansDampf

Arcane
The Ur-Quan Masters. This has been on my radar for a long time. I'm enjoying it so far but I'm not entirely sure why. Some of the gameplay mechanics are quite crude, and gathering resources is almost as dull as in ME2. It also doesn't really matter exactly what kind of elements I'm collecting, they will all be converted into RUs anyway, same with life forms and credits. Combat has also been frustrating until I figured out how to deal with those annoying drones.
But still, I'm always curious what's hiding in the next star system. Maybe it's the humor, or the weird alien races that don't look humanoid for a change, or the hint at a bigger plot. Also, the game lacks any form of quest log, which I like in principle. It just would have been nice, if it allowed me to add notes on the star map or mark stars I've already visited. I don't want to write down notes on paper while playing, so I'm just taking lots of screenshots instead...

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
HansDampf

# While all resources get converted into RUs, some do so at a better rate than others. Commander Hayes gave you a rudimentary guide to their values, follow it for maximum efficiency.

# To my knowledge only one theory/fact/lore item presented within the game is 100% false. I'll leave it up to you to discover which one it is, so good job on taking notes.

# You can use the + and - buttons to zoom in/out of the starmap when plotting a course to a new system.

# Have you visiting the Vela system since you started the game? If you have no idea what I'm on about, RTFM. (If you have no idea what that means, Google it.)

# The Ur-Quan Masters version differs from the standard retail release from 25 years ago in one important manner: Letting you know that you're on a time limit. Infinitron The Melnorme are supposed to tell you about this, but for some reason they don't in the open-source version. Anyway, try to beat the game before early 2159. An in-game method exists to extend this to early 2160.

# The hardest objective to complete in the game is discovering the location of a certain monster that a certain someone will want captured. While this objective is optional, it's very beneficial to you to do so, so I'm gonna spoil it here: Visit the Delta Lyncis system. Come prepared.

# Enjoy the music, you'll never get to enjoy a soundtrack like this in a video game ever again.

# Frungy! Frungy! Frungy!

pippin

Mostly Elminage Gothic and TOME. In TOME there's a chat log and one guy called Phoenix 242 (iirc) said something like "I don't want this character to die. It's my favorite. The other 241 ones were shit" :lol:

HansDampf

Arcane
# While all resources get converted into RUs, some do so at a better rate than others. Commander Hayes gave you a rudimentary guide to their values, follow it for maximum efficiency.
I know, but for purchasing items only RUs matter. I don't need radioactive elements, for example, to buy certain modules.

# Have you visiting the Vela system since you started the game? If you have no idea what I'm on about, RTFM. (If you have no idea what that means, Google it.)
Yes, there was an Ur-Quan ship. Other than that I don't remember anything. Maybe I should check again.

# The Ur-Quan Masters version differs from the standard retail release from 25 years ago in one important manner: Letting you know that you're on a time limit. Infinitron The Melnorme are supposed to tell you about this, but for some reason they don't in the open-source version. Anyway, try to beat the game before early 2159. An in-game method exists to extend this to early 2160.
Thanks. I knew there are timed events I'm probably not even aware of since Hayes urged me to deal with the Slylando probes.

# Enjoy the music, you'll never get to enjoy a soundtrack like this in a video game ever again.
Which version do you recommend? I'm playing with the UQM remixes.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Yes, there was an Ur-Quan ship. Other than that I don't remember anything. Maybe I should check again.

No need, you've found everything there is to find there.

Thanks. I knew there are timed events I'm probably not even aware of since Hayes urged me to deal with the Slylando probes.

There is actually a great deal of timed events in the game. Some can be postponed, some can be extended, but in general when the game tells you to do something urgently, be urgent about it.

Which version do you recommend? I'm playing with the UQM remixes.

I prefer the original MOD-files from the MS-DOS version myself.

Deleted member 7219

I finished The Walking Dead: Season 3.

Very pleased with the ending I got. Felt like my choices throughout the season did affect how the characters behaved at the end.

Some of my IRL buddies peer-pressured me into joining them in Overwatch. I've had it for about a month but only played it for a few hours. I'm not good at anything but playing Mercy because my aim is really bad. I'm pretty decent at Doom but that's probably because aiming doesn't require a Z axis there.

Also tried loading up Shin Megami Tensei 1 on my Vita. I don't mind that the UI is a little archaic, but holy crap, I don't think I can deal with all of the beeping. The game makes the same beeping noise whenever you move your cursor, confirm any option or dialogue box. You also have to confirm every single action taken in combat. It's a decent game with badass music drowned out by an endless cacophony of beeps and bleeps... I don't know if I can stomach it.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Playing Elmknight, a bretty nice attempt of Japs to create realtime dungeon crawler... except it feels like a grid-based FPS.
Gorgeous artwork + cool music, but there are tons of cutscenes and a lot of story to cover, and my Japanese skills are non-existent. Combat is very simplistic, but maneuvering and avoiding rockets on a square grid with 90-degrees turns is not that easy, and the second boss battle was pretty tough. Oh, and the PC-98 version takes up to 10 floppies. FM-Towns is 1 CD with some re-arranged music (which sounds very cool too) and a few bonuses, such as the original script and some bonus game. Turns out the game contains only 25% of the originally planned script, which still feels too much.

8YUy4SV.png

Some useful info can be found here: http://shinjuforest.blogspot.com/2014/09/a-little-look-at-elmknight.html

PhlebasIskander

Literate
Playing Breath of the Wild on CEMU. It's pretty much a children's game but I enjoy it. Beyond that, Stellaris, EU4, Underrail and whatever VR fad can hold my attention. Also decided to play PS:TEE for the first time, giving the ol' oversized undead smurf a try after all these years.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

This actually looks really cool. Any English patches around?
Nah. Also the control scheme is takes time to figure out and get used to, glad someone gave me a quick explanation of ingame controls.
Overall it's playable with zero knowledge of Japanese, but you will most likely end up running back and forth trying to trigger the event to start the next level when you're back at the base, but the actual missions are rather easy to understand because you get a bunch of general directions on the world map.

PhlebasIskander

Literate
If your CPU is strong enough, absolutely. AMD cards have some lighting/texture artifacts but it's not that distracting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom