Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Broforce,underwhelming so far,expected something more like Metal Slug but it's too chaotic sometimes resulting in you dying without doing anything wrong sometimes,the randomness of the characters doesn't help either

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Been on popamole diet this week.

Been derping in AC Origins for about 12 hours now. Its huge, biggest AC game they ever did. The intro of assassinating first round of bosses that took like 8 hours looked like a prologue till the real game opens up. Just got to climb the first pyramid. Its overwhelming sometimes when I look at the map.

Some shit I like are quests be it side or main, Witcher3-like in a way, bit more effort put into them. Everyone got their own story instead of "pick 5 flowers" or "kill 3 ppl".

One nice addition I like is a bounty hunters coming for you after you kill their commander. If you fuck around alot they will know it and fuck you up if you decide to engage.
Mostly overleveled, last one I tried to fight was lv22 vs mine lv18. Took 90% of my health in one hit. And I hit him like 20 times to get his 20% off. When one of these is in town its time to gtfo.

Senu the bird is p cool too, you can make a travel route and horse/camel will go on autodrive and you can use Senu to explore at the same time. Nice touch.

One thing Im not that hyped about is the whole RPG thing they have going on. Weapons you get are autoleveled to your current level and its mostly +1,+2,+3 damage compared to what you had before, some weapons autolevel with you so no need to change. I still have the same bow that I got at lv 1.
I dont sell a thing, just dismantle loot and upgrade other char stuff with it.
I find it meh, liked AC II upgrade system better.

Main char is pretty cool, not all clear in the head so thats a plus.

Also spent few hours with new Need for Speed. Main story is cringy as fuck but gameplay is pretty fun.
Its more like a sequel to the Crew. Payback/revenge story, challenge other groups of racers be it on street, offroad, drift etc and move on to the next section.
I like it so far.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Unfortunately I have a very limited time in the holidays. Played Star Trader Frontiers so far. Just a cool game. ELEX is waiting as well (ELEX!). But RoA: Blade of Destiny HD is still not finished and I decided it's what I want to play first. 3D Models are horrible but everything else is pretty playable. I have a lot of mods which turns the game all in all a lot more difficult than the original one. Combat is harder and so far I'm always short on cash. I really have to plan how to advance further.
Anything in English that adds Gjaskerlanders for RoA?

HansDampf

Arcane
I've wasted some time on Riven, which is now the third Myst-like game I've wasted time on this year, the other two being Obduction and Quern. I would rank them like this:
Riven > Obduction >>> Quern

Obduction was my introduction to the genre, and I was impressed by how the puzzles were integrated into the world and the story. The game always made an effort to have everything make sense. It often didn't feel like I was solving puzzles, just trying to "turn on the power", for example, to do X. In order to progress in the game you need to learn more about the world, the characters, how everything works, and why you are there. Much of it revolves around an interesting core gimmick which later requires some 4th-dimensional thinking. There were some unfortunate missteps, however, like the maze at the end, which made good use of the mechanics, but it also made little to no sense and was poorly paced. The long load times didn't help either. A fairly modern PC with an SSD is recommended. But overall I enjoyed Obduction, and it left me wanting more.

Then, many people were recommending Quern, some were even claiming it was better than Obduction. Steam reviews were also very positive, so I gave it a shot. I don't know what these people were smoking, but I could not have been more disappointed. It's the total opposite of Obduction in every way. There is no overarching puzzle to solve or mechanic to discover, and none of the puzzles make any sense whatsoever. It's like opening random pages of a puzzle book, most of them being boring and on the easier side. The story is also uninspired, the writing bland. This letter from a major character in the game reads like it was written by the puzzle designer. Even the art design is so mediocre, everything actually looks grey! It's as if they tried to make this game as mediocre as possible, a perfect 5/10. I got so bored that I didn't even finish it, which is a rare thing for me. Watched the ending on youtube, and was glad I quit.

And now, Riven. There seems to be a consensus among fans that, if you are going to play only one game from the Myst series, it ought to be Riven. I've read a summary of Myst before I jumped in, just to get the gist of what was going on. And yeah, Riven does everything I liked about Obduction, but better. Once again, solving puzzles is more about understanding the world and less about solving rubik cubes. At one point I was almost going mad, until I finally understood the purpose of a certain machine. Then everything started to fall into place. The pre-rendered graphics are still nice to look at today, and even the acting was surprisingly good for a video game of that time. I enjoyed Gehn's monologues. One thing I would criticize are the big info dumps, especially one particular journal that seemed to go on forever. After about 50 or so pages I just wanted to move on with the game.

I should try Myst at some point.

Last edited:

Morkar Left

Unfortunately I have a very limited time in the holidays. Played Star Trader Frontiers so far. Just a cool game. ELEX is waiting as well (ELEX!). But RoA: Blade of Destiny HD is still not finished and I decided it's what I want to play first. 3D Models are horrible but everything else is pretty playable. I have a lot of mods which turns the game all in all a lot more difficult than the original one. Combat is harder and so far I'm always short on cash. I really have to plan how to advance further.
Anything in English that adds Gjaskerlanders for RoA?

Not that I know. And since the "modding scene" for RoA is rather limited (but with some good mods) I doubt there is one. You could use the Thorwaler ofc. There is even a mod where your Thorwaler can get some magic tatoos. Unfortunately only in German.

mbv123

Arbiter
Just Cause 2
Haven't had this much fun in a while. Story is garbage, but who cares if I have some 1000 square kilometers to myself and it's full of stuff that's just begging to be blown up. Also Panau is one of those places that I wish I could live in. Shit's comfy as fuck.

Also see those mountains? You can actually climb them. And you don't need to abuse space button either. Also, I'm running this on my shitty laptop and it runs great. One of the best optimized games I've played. Heard that they dropped the ball with JC3 so that's a shame.
8jA4Dd6.jpg

sullynathan

Arcane
Just Cause 2
Haven't had this much fun in a while. Story is garbage, but who cares if I have some 1000 square kilometers to myself and it's full of stuff that's just begging to be blown up. Also Panau is one of those places that I wish I could live in. Shit's comfy as fuck.

Also see those mountains? You can actually climb them. And you don't need to abuse space button either. Also, I'm running this on my shitty laptop and it runs great. One of the best optimized games I've played. Heard that they dropped the ball with JC3 so that's a shame.
8jA4Dd6.jpg
I mean both jc3 and jc2 are the same game

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
I don't get the appeal. Sure, the game's huge, but there is nothing in there but exploding barrels, boring collectibles and the blind AI.

Deleted member 7219

It was novel having an open world game which looked great for its time and would run brilliantly even on older systems.

sullynathan

Arcane
I don't get the appeal. Sure, the game's huge, but there is nothing in there but exploding barrels, boring collectibles and the blind AI.
That's disappointingly true, I played JC2 Demo years ago and found it super fun until I bought the game on sale and was bored out my mind. Also got JC3 too but that's free.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Rimworld Rimworld Rimworld
Gv2e0Go.png

AhMe1HC.jpg

36cDoXH.jpg

One of my colonists suffered a mental break, so she decided to dig up a long dead colonist and dump the remains on the common room table.
FteBDtt.png

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Playing Underrail again. Steam says I've played for 264 hours total, never beat it, got a feeling I won't this time either. Currently about half way through Core City and starting to get seriously bored. My fault really. Always spend too much time fucking around with the loot, can't help myself.

Bought ELEX because I kinda felt sorry for it. Maybe I'll play that!

Freddie

Savant
I have been playing Resident Evil Revelations 2.

While it's a spin off title from the main series, I found it surprisingly good. It has 4 episodes, each split in 2 chapters where you control different (4) main characters each as pair trough the game.

The bad thing is that you need to purchase every episode separately, which during discounts (got this ages ago) isn't actually that bad at all. Implementation has been done very well, but as business model it's something very annoying. I don't recall how much all these episodes cost me, around € 12 at the top and I can't recommend purchasing this without discount.

Now that's out of the way, game mechanics, shooting, melee, combos, and dodging are done very well. Subweapons (different sorts of bottles filled with various stuff, from Molotov coctail to decoys) are worth a special mention because you need to compose them from whatever you find. They work very well in the setting, which is surviving and exploring the island.

Mechanics wise, this felt much more fluid than RE: Revelations 1 and with it's limited options it still IMO challenges RE: 6 of the main series. I really liked the atmosphere (which characters which are IMO very well written for this sort of game) and that you can go trough each episode / chapter pretty fast, or take your time to search all sorts of collectibles. This sort of thing I think is familiar to anyone who has played RE games. Only weapon mods are necessary, and mechanics wise I hoped that going through the game on higher difficulty levels would give better mods, but that isn't the case. That's the only thing I that irked me a bit. Level design is surprisingly open, in sense that areas don't feel as claustrophobic as in RE Revelations 1, but some areas actually are quite open, with multiple paths.

Sound is ok and soundtrack suits it's purpose very well, anything bombastic just wouldn't work with the story / setting where game happens.

To get back to tone of Revelations 2, it's surprisingly down to earth. I felt this was quite refreshing. No saving the world, helluva less cheese and RE kind of humour, but it works.

There is a bit of C&C in this game. Certain characters have certain skills and sometimes you need to open say door with Moira, to make whatever is behind that accessible for characters that are going through the area in following chapter. Sometimes choices have much more impact, like you can either kill or escape from certain miniboss when you encounter it for the first time and it stays dead for all characters. Still regarding C&C, special mention to endings. there are two and played so I could see different outcomes. Certain choice in EP3 determinates which ending player will get. I really liked how it worked, endings themselves and wondered why the hell we aren't seeing this sort of thing in cRPGs?

There are two other single player game modes, countdown where you need to speedrun trough chapters and invisible mode. I haven't really tried those and Raid mode which I found was quite soloable, but lack of players killed me interest to that.

Recommended if you can get this from sale, for those who have limited time budget / like episodic approach for other reasons or 3rd person shooters.

Other tittle I went trough recently is Kathy Rain.

I got this from Stram for less than 2 € I think. It's a adventure game made with pixel art style. Conversations, interacting with the world and inventory management is all done via mouse.

It's difficult to say much about this sort of games without spoiling them but it's sort of a detective story set in 1995. Protagonist is I guess like or hate type of deal, but I like this sort of games for the journey and I found this to be surprisingly good. I didn't felt that even the ending was anticlimatic.

Puzzles are quite easy to figure out, except one got me. There is this 'old adventure game' feeling right there, that these sort of games can be quite addictive and I was quite tired to when I got to that point. So after I consulted the walkthrough, solution was indeed quite obvious (puzzles are logical). Ah, the so tired adventure gamer that brains fall a sleep. Just how many times this has got me during my decades of playing...

Recommended. While Kathy Rain isn't that long, I don't see what stretching this longer could have achieved. I found this very enjoyable for what it is and great value for money.

Since Shadowrun: Hong Kong is still discussed much on this forum I decided to replay it to refresh my memory and few other things. I'm still in very early stage of game, day 1. Will post more about it later.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I completed Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory again. Expert difficulty 100% except for the worst mission in the game, fucking Bathhouse which is purely RNG and I didn't bother with for my sanity.
Znljo.png

Starwars

Arcane
Picked up Dishonored 2 on the sale. Am only a short while in, just found Hypatia at the medical facility, but seems very enjoyable so far I have to say. I liked the first game as well though I didn't find it excellent but yeah, this one seems promising.

Had to fiddle around a bit with the graphics in order to get acceptable performance on my old rig without it having looking like shit though.

mister_matt

Educated
Picked up Dishonored 2 on the sale. Am only a short while in, just found Hypatia at the medical facility, but seems very enjoyable so far I have to say. I liked the first game as well though I didn't find it excellent but yeah, this one seems promising.

Had to fiddle around a bit with the graphics in order to get acceptable performance on my old rig without it having looking like shit though.
I enjoy the art in the dishonored games immensely. The expansions I've played haven't been bad either. My one criticism is that I'm not smart enough to use emergent gameplay to overcome challenges in the levels. I usually fall into the same pattern of hiding behind shit for ages, and shooting darts. Boring.

sullynathan

Arcane
I completed Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory again. Expert difficulty 100% except for the worst mission in the game, fucking Bathhouse which is purely RNG and I didn't bother with for my sanity.
Znljo.png
What does difficulty actually change in Chaos theory and the four original SC games? I wanted to play above normal but always thought the only change was how much damage you took.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Znljo.png
What does difficulty actually change in Chaos theory and the four original SC games? I wanted to play above normal but always thought the only change was how much damage you took.

The guards pretty much have darkvision, and the slightest noise would cause them to go full red alert and blast at anything that's not illuminated.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
You have a lot less health (1-2 shot death in CT) and guards are more alert and will investigate shit more.
Shilling my beyond quality channel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom