Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Now suppose what would happen in this decrepit gay genre if someone were to make the first-person equivalent of Alien Soldier or Sin & Punishment.

Did you mean the boss rush aspect of Alien Soldier, or perhaps the dashing movement, because I'm genuinely puzzled by this and the mention of Sin & Punishment.
When you mention Alien Soldier the first FPS that comes to mind is Bulletstorm( although a true 3D equivalent would be Vanquish ).
I guess I was a little vague there, I was more referring to an imaginary first-person shooter with the structure of an arcade game under an hour long which focuses less on exploration and more on constant action and iterating on the main mechanics of the game in as many ways imaginable. The sheer variety in the boss fights of Alien Soldier and S&P and the different ways they challenged your knowledge and skill of your given toolset are great examples of this, though the stages outside the bosses are also very good too. I guess Vanquish and Bulletstorm do come kind of close to that, though they suffer from some unnecessary AAA-itis time to time.

Mustawd

Beat Red Faction about a month ago. It was an ok FPS, but nothing special. Not something I'll ever replay again tbh. I remember playing it on PS2 and rage quitting one part. It's funny how anyone even plays FPS games on console. It was hard for me even back when I was gaming actively. Thankfully, KB and mouse allowed me to beat this one.

Just beat Grand Theft Auto Vice City. It was bretty good. I still like San Andreas more, but this one was very enjoyable. I mean it had some of the same janky gameplay as the original GTA3 of course. The missions were ok and the atmosphere was ok and the music was p. good. I just didn't get enough of that Miami vibe. Hard to put my finger on it. The Cuban and Haitian mission felt a bit generic compared to the flavor of the San Andreas game. I felt like I was just playing a reskinned GTA 3 versus a different game. But hey, I liked it more than GTA 3 so there's that. And ofc it has some tweaks to gameplay like driving motorcycles and jumping from a vehicle while driving. The end mission wasnt as retarded as the first game, but it took me a dozen playthoughs to finally beat it. Was fun. Might go back some day and 100% it.

The main issue I had was the grinding of trying to make money to buy those properties at the end. I felt that was stupid. I was ready for the game to end at hour 18 but it took me a total of 23 hours to finally beat it. So like 6 hours of it I was mostly bored and wanting it to end.

Still, I'd recommend it.

Gonna play Ys I next. Never tried any of the games in the series, but it looks p. good.

bloodlover

Arcane
I bought TR Anniversary, Legend and Underworld on the recent Steam sale and I started playing Underworld first. I think that I was supposed to play them in some order for the story to make sense but playing Tomb Raider for the story... yeah.

Underworld is a fun game, it looks nice and I like how Lara is very flexible now. (not in THAT way your perverts). This leads to some interesting puzzles and exploring. The camera sometimes tends to get you killed but it's really not that big of a deal as most people claim it is. I think I died 5 times in 12 hours of gameplay so far and twice it was from the camera angles. What I don't like about the game is that after finishing a level I have to manually go back at the start for the story to continue, or when I solve some puzzle that requires moving or climbing I have to go back to the original spot which means doing the same thing again. It feels like a drag after some time and it;s quite annoying when it involves driving that damn motorcycle around.

I think I should have bought the old games too but maybe in the future. I can't marathon these games anymore, especially on a PC and playing with a keyboard but replaying Tomb Raider 2 should bring back many good memories.

In between TR, I am playing Divine Divinity. This one is more addictive even though I am not far into the game. Will keep you updated.

Cael

Arcane
Playing Dragon Age Origins at the minute, I thimed things out pretty poorly and ended up spending about 7 hours in the fucking fade over the last 2 days :badnews:
The Fade is such a notoriously bad part of the game that there are mods out there that lets you skip it in its entirety. You go in, and then you jump to the next section after with all of the goodies that you'd get in there (about 21 stat points).

I am currently mucking around with Warlock 2. I may return to Fallout Tactics in a bit, but I am catching a writing bug, so that might fall by the wayside.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Setting Tomb raider: legend for playing it on PC. Which graphic style do you prefer, the original or the "next-gen" one?

efce8545caecfcc76e6ca18dd3765461o.png

eb5ab58a4768ee8363699d6183a44b4do.png

103c1f00018ac3b7b23ae4245a12c71ao.png

3dd21f467315f2012577b4c729c3f28fo.png

0e60a3ecce186ed778df41fab140718fo.png

1a25b744e71be27dab314cc62c4cb87co.png

No offense but I think I prefer the old one over the muh next gen improvements

Cael

Arcane
The Fade is such a notoriously bad part of the game that there are mods out there that lets you skip it in its entirety. You go in, and then you jump to the next section after with all of the goodies that you'd get in there (about 21 stat points).

Fuck. I really wish I'd known that :stunned:
Well, there is an advantage in not skipping. You can glitch the damned shrines to get multiple stat point gains per shrine. My record was about 120 stat points total. 6 times what was offered, and 40 levels worth :D :D :D

PorkBarrellGuy

Doing a Wiz 8 playthrough now, exploring Arnika and looking for trouble to get into.

lophiaspis

Arbiter
I've been playing alot of Pirates Vs Vikings vs Knights 2, a free Source mod which is shockingly good. Best multiplayer FPS I've tried in many years. No traces of consolization or F2P bullshit. Pure arcadey fun. They manage to pull off a unique 3-way gameplay style in an excellent way. The voice acting and characterization is close to TF2 tier. Just a total breath of fresh air.

SophosTheWise

Cipher
Started playing Wizardry 8. I really enjoyed building my party (I don't think I've had this much fun creating a party from scratch) but for some reason, I find the game to be really boring. I've played through the monastery and it felt really empty and level design was completely nonsensical. There was barely anything to discover and battles were boring as fuck. I don't know if I'll go back to that game. I'm craving for a sense of discovery and adventure and it just seems like there's no game to scratch that itch. I might go back to Dark Souls 2 but I'm not ecstatic about it. I've downloaded a PS2 emulator and I might try to get into King's Field IV but it looks so clunky.

So I guess I'll just lurk online and search for things that don't exist.

Ezekiel

Arcane
How the hell do you detonate your bombs in Medal of Honor: Allied Assault? I took a long break and have forgotten. I don't see it in the Controls menu. I'm supposed to stop a convoy.

wyes gull

Savant
NFS Underground 2. Undamageable cars and walls that don't slow you down make grinding the outside of a turn a viable option in about 50% of the corners in the game but that aside it's still pretty solid. And all the neon goes well with a synth/vapourwave OST. Thing could do with a 80s mod.

Valtiel

Scholar
I'm struggling with Wasteland 2. I Reached the second part of the game (LA area) and i've lost interest, so I dropped it for a week or two and started playing a lot of EA UFC 3. Now I tried again and i've seen a bit of the new areas, seems to be a little more interesting but still I don't know if i'll make it to the end. Also, is there a difficulty spike inbetween the two zones? Maybe I rushed but I've been struggling in every fight, even with the new weapons I had to buy

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I'm struggling with Wasteland 2. I Reached the second part of the game (LA area) and i've lost interest, so I dropped it for a week or two and started playing a lot of EA UFC 3. Now I tried again and i've seen a bit of the new areas, seems to be a little more interesting but still I don't know if i'll make it to the end. Also, is there a difficulty spike inbetween the two zones? Maybe I rushed but I've been struggling in every fight, even with the new weapons I had to buy

Yeah, the LA part is weak, imo.
And there is a difficulty spike, as NPCs get stupid amounts of health, armor and damage output. Even roaches get AC 6 and 200HP. Compare this to slicer dicers, who have AC 4 and 540 HP
Its some bullshit.

Ocelot

Learned
Crusader Kings 2 "A game of thrones" mod.

It's a nice mod that doesn't rely on the expansions much. Playing as Aegon the conqueror because I'm a newbie and using dragons to quickly establish my oversized realm feels good. The game is amazing, especially if you decide to roleplay a bit instead of going the route of efficiency. I'm going to try a vanilla ironman playthrough next as some random catholic guy and see where that will get me.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Persona 3 Portable, Inquisitor, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle and Tears to Tiara 2.

The three first games, I have less than an hour in each. Tears to Tiara 2, I am playing because I wanted to play a Japanese style SRPG. It's servicable, nothing more, nothing less. It scratches the itch and so on.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Completed Shadowrun Returns a few days ago, going on to Dragonfall now. Just FYI I still have steam keys of both Returns and Dragonfall that I got on humble bundle and I have posted in the humble bundle thread but no one has taken. If anyone wants it, PM me.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Completed Shadowrun Returns a few days ago, going on to Dragonfall now. Just FYI I still have steam keys of both Returns and Dragonfall that I got on humble bundle and I have posted in the humble bundle thread but no one has taken. If anyone wants it, PM me.
Within the first hour of Dragonfall, you will wonder how you could have ever liked the first game. It's that good.

Nael

Arcane
Within the first hour of Dragonfall, you will wonder how you could have ever liked the first game. It's that good.

I still enjoyed Shadowrun Returns. Especially the first time I played it. The story wasn't bad for one of the first successful Kickstarter projects. It did lead to a better game but you gotta show some love for that first attempt.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I still enjoyed Shadowrun Returns. Especially the first time I played it. The story wasn't bad for one of the first successful Kickstarter projects. It did lead to a better game but you gotta show some love for that first attempt.
I'm not saying it's a bad game. It's still good. Dragonfall is just on a whole different level.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Finally playing God of War III. I say finally because I watched that teaser at the end of God of War II ten years ago. I kind of wanted it when I had a PS3, but it wasn't a big priority and I heard bad things about the framerate back then. I keep asking myself as I'm playing why this series had to become another one of those walk and talk over the shoulder movie games. I don't dislike all those games, but I don't want God of War to be The Last of Us. Yeah, GoW wasn't the best action game, but I liked it for what it was, this epic, brutal adventure that you actually played. All they had to do was improve the controls and mechanics and maybe introduce a new protagonist and mythology. But, to be honest, I was never bothered about Kratos' rage and cruelty. The story has never been that important to me. One of the compliments I sometimes hear about the new God of War is that Kratos is an actual character now. He is sensitive and peaceful now. Give me a break. It's not even the same guy.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Oh, totally. After feeling all the changes in Dragonfall, Returns would probably be proper shit now and they finally made it a bit less linear too from what it feels like. Anyway I also just got Gothic 2 to run on my PC and I am going to go through that too finally, since I have been delaying it for too long. I don't think I will be playing Gothic 1 because of the poor controls though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom