Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
I think I am in some kind of funk, I am just not enjoying games lately.

Finally started this game and put some time into it. I thought the inspiration for this was Ultima 7? This is as far from a "living" open world as you can get. Equipment is level locked. Encounters are all fixed at certain points in the map just waiting for you, so, in effect, the game is level scaled because you are obviously supposed to go around only fighting encounters within 1 level or so of your average party level. I feel like I am playing Final Fantasy Tactics here, just with some wandering around in between tactical battles. The combat is fun, though frustrating if you wander upon an encounter that is a couple levels above you, but if it's just a series of tactical battles in between wandering around towns and reading this horrible writing, I dunno if I can bear to play this one much longer.

Stop if you are not enjoying it because that is it.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Tried Revenant other day. Our first big task is to cross a mountains, but access is blocked by Ogroes.
They let you go if you beat their champion in a fist fight. This time I will come prepared, with a few points in Hands.

To my surprise - unarmed combat is even more fun that melee. You have roundhouse kicks, pirouettes, wrestling jumps, slams and bitchslaps.
Half of Mortal Kombat moves in one game.

Some folks from old threads (scattered somewhere on the internet) asked if you can tweak your mana regeneration.
Sure thing.
Extract resource.rvr file to Resources folder, remove that file. Now you can edit any value in rules.def and you're good to go.
There is one catch - regeneration value is shared between player and monsters.
Have fun.

Now I'm digging through Dungeon of Lost Souls from you-know-which-game.
edit: aaaaand done, that was fast. End at lvl25. First three floors have merchants to save, could not find magic merchants so no Identification or magic gear for me.

And yes. you can beat it only with warrior. Pick Locks skill is mandatory. Guns won't work because you won't get anything better than crafter revolver. Magician? Not sure because you can't rest to restore fatigue.
On surface you can find regrowing plants (for healing powders) and some kites if you're bored enough.

Went to final arena, ignored some bitch near the throne and picklocked the door with blue-robed guy behind. Then got this:
MBSUEpc.jpg
Me speak no italiano so
what's goin on?

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
I like pizza too

[EDIT]
I decided to put Divinity Original Sin on the backburner, and played Arcanum. This is more like it! I've fooled around with this game on and off, but never got much of anywhere. I'm still early on in the game, but I am really liking this. Reminds me of Fallout of course, though I still prefer Fallout.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
On PC, Dragon Quest XI and on PS4, Odin Sphere Leifdrasir. Japanese games at their best.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I'm putting some time into Wizardry IV Gaiden, thus breaking my Weeaboo cherry.
And it's a nice and gentle JRPG to break one's cherry on. No lollies, toddlers or spikey haired punks, and the only furries are of the Bradley variety.

Level design is good, with levels being interconnected, always a good thing in my book. No mapping challenges, though, except a few Darkness zones so far.
Game design is basically Wiz 3 with Wiz 6-7 races and classes.
Game is more open ended than most blobbers, since there are three dungeons + a training dungeon, and you can do them in any order you want.

I wasn't quite happy with my first party, so I rolled a new one:
Faerie Thief
Gnome Monk
Mook Samurai
Elf Bishop
Hobbit Bard
Lizardman Ranger

Of these the Samurai is overall the least useful character, and the Monk is the easily the most effective killer, having both the lowest AC and highest damage potential dual wielding Sai.
I'm not sure how unarmed works in this game, though. It may be more effective, and score crits. Or does Monks only have a chance of knocking out enemies? And only Ninjas can crit? Summon aweigh.

I was hoping to develop the Thief into a Ninja but you need about 15 in all stats, and at lvl 11 the Thief still needs 5 STR, so that ain't gonna happen. The Ranger is a more likely candidate now.
Also, not having a Valkyrie (or Lord) is starting to hurt, since I can't cure Poison or Paralyze, nor use the best weapons and armour. The Bishop just gains spells far too slowly.
Opening chests safely is much easier than in the US Wizardries, with only a few minor accidents.
So I decided to ditch the Thief, and let the Bishop use a spell to Detect Trap, and the Bard or Ranger to remove any traps.
With a Valkyrie added to the party, my party will hopefully be able to complete all the dungeons.
Haven't had any party death yet, so overall a rather easy game, so far at least.

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
I want to skip Gaiden 1-3 on gameboy and just go straight to IV, maybe once I finally finish my PSX playthrough of Wiz 1.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Unexpected realization of the day: Finding out that a ninja beat'em-up I owned on the Amstrad CPC back in the day called Shadow Warriors is better known everywhere else as Ninja Gaiden.

I beat the crap out of that game in 1991, easy-peasy.

(I know I know, Shadow Warriors is a port of the arcade Ninja Gaiden, which is not the ultra-hard NES Ninja Gaiden everyone has been gushing over for 30 years. But still, minor bragging rights.)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Playan Hollow Knight and Grim Fandango atm.

Hollow Knight I'm kinda torn on. It's casual/popamole as hell, and basically only boils down to walking through big levels and pressing X to stomp bugs, but I won't deny that walking through said big levels and getting longer reach upgrades to X is kind of addicting.

Grim Fandango I've never played before because I could never get it to run. Although actually I think I tried to check it out at release but dropped it after some 5 minutes? Might be cuz the pirated version I had didn't werk. Anyway, p. cool game. Great way to wash off the horrible taste of popamole (*cough* Unavowed *cough*) with a proper adventure game with proper zaniness and actual puzzles. The puzzles are also p. clever too, though I'm finding it sorta weird that I got stuck only once so far (maze in the petrified forest), since when it comes to LucasArts classics, I usually get stumped pretty often. Maybe I'm just in the correct mindset for it.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Checked out Rise of Industry, not my thing, basically build increasingly complex supply chains, it's much like anno with some added complexity.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Got hit by a shooter need. Played a shitton of 'em. What I didn't play from the derp era of the 00s? Wait, System Shock 2 is the best game ever, maybe Bioshock won't be bad, people were praising it to the heavens when it got out.

Bioshock is mightily weird. The best description I can give is, it's a walking simulator that apes System Shock 2 without understanding System Shock 2 (or the System Shock 1 elements that survived in SS2).

Let's rant a bit. From the graphics&Soundtrack point of view, the design of Bioshock is nice. Sure, maybe it was more impressive back in 2008 before the endless deluge of games that stole every retro theme ever, but the fake 40ies maybe were sorta kinda original back then. It's noticeable that a lot of work went into designing and planning a interesting enviroment. It's a pity the graphics look like muddy cartoony shit most of the times, and the voice acting is mediocre at best. Plotline is written by someone convinced to be far smarter than he actually is (it's a tired rehash of the narrative structure of SS2, "Helper that once was Big Bad reveals to be Big Bad, now with help of Strong Female kill him\it". At least Shodan was a sexy killer AI, here we get some random dude. Whatever.). The "morality" choices are laughable, it's literally DO U WANT TO KILL CHILDREN OR NOT? DO YOU? Suuuuuubtle.

The gameplay is....ehr.... there. Just there. Bioshock is one of those games where after a while you optimize just to avoid the subpar combat. Sure, you have in theory a lot of weaponry and magic powers, but the enemy variety is atrocious: imagine a System Shock 2 where you fight only Hybrids and Turrets. The Bioshock Splicers are pretty much carbon copies of SS2's Hybrids (HtH Hybrid, Hitscan weapon Hybrid, Grenade Hybrid) and the only borderline interesting fights are against one type of Big Daddy, and the best option is always to prepare the area and let the thing explode on a shitton of mines. Why give me so many weapons and nothing interesting to shoot.

Research, resurrection chambers, crafting, hacking.... they all feel tacked on and useless, if not downright annoying. "We have to place them 'cause SS2 had them". Crafting is utterly puzzling, it doesn't add a thing.

In the end, Bioshock is a game where you walk around trying to avoid shit combat, check some nice vistas damaged by muddy graphics, while being hunted down by a plot written by someone that harbours some serious delusions of being an adequate writer.

Can only wonder how bad Bioshock 2 & Infinite are. Infinite seems "Waifu The Game", who knows about Bio2.

newtmonkey

Arcane
I skipped themselves, figuring they would be too primitive and simplistic. Or aren't they?

I played around with Gaiden 1 for a short while (explored the first level of the dungeon). It's simplistic, basically on the level of Wiz I, just without the nice map design or balance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom