Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game franchise story turned to shit?

What game franchise had its story turned from great to utter shit?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Like you say, all franchise stories turn to shit given enough instalments, so the question is redundant. It'd either be none or a list of "franchises" with very few instalments.
Really the question should be something like: "Which gaming franchise has had the biggest drop in writing quality?"
Of course that brings a whole bunch of new issues with it. Is it from one specific game to the next in the franchise? Is it overall from the first to the latest? What about stuff like Silent Hill or Legacy of Kain that has peaks and valleys? And so on.

Also, regardless of what the question is, do spin-offs count?

The idea of the poll is actually to pinpoint the worst offenders and examples of how story/writing turned to shit in a frahnchise. I'm sorry if the title is badly worded. (That's why you only get 6 votes)

Also, spin-offs count within the franchise

kris

Arcane
I only voted for the ones i am familiar with. As far as I got into the warcraft story it held the same "quality", but the others that I put votes on was almost painful. In particular Starcraft and Fallout.
i considered final fantasy, but have admittedly only played three of them and only 7 to the end...

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
27zw8rt.jpg

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Why does Fallout have so many votes? Did the series have a good story at any point?
Regardless of your opinion of the first two, I think the existence of FOBOS makes it a clear frontrunner.

Plus FO4 just came out and all the kool kodex kids are shitting on it.
Also, this thing:
eA4BydM.png

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I voted Bioshock, Ultima and Aliens vs Predator because of all the polling options, those are the only ones I know 100% that the story started out at an...acceptable level and then fell into utter shit.

I didn't vote other notable examples (Fallout) because I'm not up to speed on the latest travesties in the lore.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Why does Fallout have so many votes? Did the series have a good story at any point?
Good story as being defined as an engaging literary level plot, no, but good story defined as an interesting original setting with somewhat consistent rules, interesting themes and plenty of RPG opportunities turned on absolute retarded circus crap by Bethesda, that really happened.

pippin

Hitman never had a good story. Its all about gameplay

And that's why Absolution sucked. 3/4 of the levels were there to explain the "story", and the rest were pretty cool levels which had barely anything to do with it.

rado907

Savant
Don't know why Hitman is up there. The stories in those games were always 'meh'. Tbh a lot of these I don't consider to have had great stories to begin with.
Hitman is a good example of a game that doesn't even need a story. You are 47, an elite assassin without a past. You go to exotic places and kill nasty people. That's all. No need for clones, no need for betrayals, no need for bullshit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom