Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game introduced you to the genre?

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Probably one of the bards tale games I saw my cousin playing on C64 and then what really heightened my interest was seeing Wasteland. That game was amazing in scope for it's time and the level of detail for a C64 game was incredible.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Think it were an old text adventure called Warlord, not sure cos it were a lotta years ago, but thats one that sticks out. Celt chasing a Roman to save Pictland in some kind of otherworld (Tir Na Nog?) Silly fucking puzzles as I remember.

ColCol

Arcane
Hmmmm, I probably played jrpgs first, but it was fallout that really made me interested in CRPGS.

mushaden

Scholar
Baldur's Gate, remember the fold with 6 discs. I could hardly get to Khalid and Jaheira but it stuck with me. I think the first RPG I completed was Baldur's Gate II later, though I may have played some JRPGs in between

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How come no one ever says Zork when someone starts one of these threads? I remember we'd play it or one of the sequels on the ancient Apple IIs at my elementary school after we got tired of oregon trail. Then the town issued some bonds to pay for new computers and we got a bunch of early Windows machines where the only game was minesweeper. OG decline.

Demo to Diablo 1, I remember playing it and thinking I had to have the whole game. That damn butcher... After that, probably Baldur's Gate and then the rest of classics. Those really were the best years for gaming.

pic498210.jpg
beautiful. 1st edition is still my favorite I think, partially nostalgia probably, but those first few games I played were amazing. Had a great DM who was 8-10 years older than us who had good control over the game and was very strict which made the games intense and totally mesmerizing.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
The first I ever saw: The Dark Eye 1: Blade of Destiny

The first I played completely on my own: Baldurs Gate 1 (It didn't age well, but it was fun).

The one I first fell really in love with: Fallout 2.

Cael

Arcane
Oh God. Fallout 2 as a diplomat-thief is totally ridiculous. By the time I got to Vault City, I was nearing level 20...

Diggfinger

Arcane
Diablo II demo which I borrowed from a school friend. Then Oblivion came out and blew my fucking mind (I was 8-9 and had never seen anything like it). Then bought Morrowind, NWN and Arcanum few weeks later.
Diablo an rpg lol.... Diablo is an hack and slash... calling diablo rpg is like calling league of legends a decent game with a wonderful community.

Of course Diablo is an action-RPG.
But the 1st game absolutely nailed the isometric perspective with great 2D graphics. Also the gore and atmosphere was top-notch, still remember those creepy baby-screams from lvl 5 on...

sser

Arcane
Developer
Ultima Underworld was the first I played, and I also played Baldur's Gate II and action stuff like Diablo, but I never really got super immersed in an RPG until Fallout 2.

Zlaja

Arcane
MM6 Mandate of Heaven

Damn. That's a lot of "enemies on screen at once" for a first RPG. Did you retain your sanity?

In my defense, I was a moron.

Don't worry, Tigranes. You're still a bro. We forgive you. :hug:

My first crpg was Morrowind (yeah, I'm a disgusting normie) and I remember getting out fresh of the boat (litterally) and thinking "where the fuck do I go now". My second thought was "why the fuck am I so slow". And the third "why can't I hit anything". And the rest is history.

PS: I did try out Diablo I a few years earlier at a friend's house but his bitch mom didn't let us play for more then 30 mins 'cause we weren't "done with our school assignment".

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hero’s Quest... a friend of mine was the son of our’s schools Computer Lab supervisor so she had access to most of the Sierra games like King’s Quest and I loved those but the different character paths and stats for Hero’s Quest really hooked me to replay the different character paths and try out solving the puzzles and riddled for each character... became a huge Sierra fan

How come no one ever says Zork when someone starts one of these threads? I remember we'd play it or one of the sequels on the ancient Apple IIs at my elementary school after we got tired of oregon trail. Then the town issued some bonds to pay for new computers and we got a bunch of early Windows machines where the only game was minesweeper. OG decline.

Zork is not a CRPG. But very :obviously: anyway.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Mom knew I liked Heroes of Might and Magic, thought they were the same, bought the entire Might and Magic collection for my birthday. It was 6 I played the most.

Mom always knows best :love:
She did a good thing, I was always more into map-making anyhow. M&M got me playing the game.

MM6 Mandate of Heaven

Damn. That's a lot of "enemies on screen at once" for a first RPG. Did you retain your sanity?
Speaking for myself: nope. :hahano:

But I learned some invaluable life lessons, like run. And when you encounter important dilemmas? Run from those too. They'll be there when you come back. (If not, they weren't worth your time...)

Last edited by a moderator:

DemonKing

Arcane
My brother got basic D&D for Xmas in about 1980. Since we were stuck at a holiday house with my parents we basically played Keep on the Borderlands religiously for days.

Then I think in 1981 we hosted some Kwan kid who brought his copy of Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord with him to the colonies.

Never looked back from there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom