Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game introduced you to the genre?

Darkzone

Arcane

BardicBroadcasts has a few great videos. I like his humor and he is like me a Sword and Sorcery fan. I have discovered him around a year ago through his Conan 'Rage of the Undying' Statue video. Somehow i think that he is also on the Codex or reads it or at least i read some commentators with his voice in mind.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
maxresdefault.jpg

acer palmatum

Scholar
Mmh, I think Ultima III on Amiga 1000 was my first CRPG. What let me stick to the genre was Pool of Radiance (this was also the first CRPG I finished - several times) and maybe a bit The bards tale, both on C64.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
It was vanilla TOEE for me (unpatched). I'm honestly surprised it didn't turn me off the genre for good :lol:

Mystary!

Arcane
I don't remember exactly, but I guess Gargoyle's Quest 2, since it came out earlier, otherwise Shadowrun on snes.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
To RPG as a genre? Baldur's Gate. That was the first time and a culture shock after other semi-RPG games.
WTF wizard have only 8 hp? Why they have no mana? What the fuck is THAC0? Why -10 armor is better than 10? Why two rings of protection does not stack? Why so much text? Why it is so hard to hit? Why my health does not regenerate?

bussinrounds

Augur
Mmh, I think Ultima III on Amiga 1000 was my first CRPG. What let me stick to the genre was Pool of Radiance (this was also the first CRPG I finished - several times) and maybe a bit The bards tale, both on C64.
I did have an Intellivison back then and played the fuck out of AD&D Treasure of Tarmin in the early 80s, but was always going to my friends house to play these 3 games you mentioned.

So yea, Ultima 3 (in 83') was my first proper cRPG also.

Dedup

Augur
For me it was Hero's Quest (aka Quest for Glory). Then when I got the sequel and realized I didn't have the required high density 5.25 or 3.5 floppy drive to run it, I ended up getting Pool of Radiance. Both remain my two all time favorite games.

Max Damage

Savant
Neverwinter Nights. Still haven't finished Act 1, probably never will. HotU was decent fun, though, but I never really got into the whole custom modules thing because of limited internet in early 00s. After having played Infinity Engine games, ToEE and NWN2, it feels awkward returning to no party control single player DnD.

Turjan

Arcane
If it counts, although it's not a proper RPG, it would be Interplay's "J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, Vol. I". I didn't have any PC at the time and played what I had access to. I had an Atari ST myself and mostly played adventures.

When I finally had my first real PC, I bought Might & Magic VI and Baldur's Gate at the same time. Technically, I started with Baldur's Gate, but switched to M&M VI after I got to the Friendly Arms Inn. I played that Might & Magic game twice in a row, and only afterwards I started Baldur's Gate again. Not sure whether that means that M&M VI is more "beginner-friendly" than BG1, but there you go.

Last edited:

Sizzle

Arcane
Played a few games (like Diablo) that had RPG elements, but the one that really showed me what they can be and got me hooked for life was:

Realms-of-Arkania-3-Shadows-over-Riva-Classic-of-Arrive-on-Steam-for-Linux-Soon-432217-2.jpg

dagrims

Educated
I can easily remember our trip to Kmart in 1981 to purchase the Dungeons and Dragons Basic Set. That was my introduction to RPGs. The first computer RPGs I played were Telengard and the Ultima series.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom