Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What happened to the search feature?

J1M

Arcane
I want to find the thread discussing elevation in tactical games.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Tal mentioned in another thread they turned it off to lesson the server load. We can probably get it back after we make the fund drive.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
We only need to raise enough to buy Google to solve our search problems once and for all.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
How could this be ? I thought that changing to XenForo was going to solve all our problems...

:troll:

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
How could this be ? I thought that changing to XenForo was going to solve all our problems...

:troll:

It did, for a short while. But it was never expected to be a long-term solution on a site with as much activity as the Codex. We need more powah and that's all there is to it. Optimization of the existing server has been pushed to the limit and no further upgrades are possible.

gromit

Arcane
Can you disable the previews when hovering over a link? It's one of the only bits of JS in the system that ADDS to the load instead of reducing it.

Syl

Cipher
Which javascript features are REDUCING the server load ? I'm genuinely interested here.

gromit

Arcane
(Potentially) pop-up dialogs for stuff like glancing at a user profile-in-brief, and in-line replies. All depending on if they were slim in implementation, obviously. In the case of in-line replies, it could mean the difference between asking the server to retrieve all the information on a given page and running it through umpteen preprocessors and a big, fat, header-to-footer template, as opposed to selectively querying for new results and adding them (as well as your new submission) to the bottom, calling only on the per-post templates.

Of course, if you click through to the "full version" of a profile, or refresh the entire thread, all you've done is ask extra work of the server, before proceeding to do what you were going to do anyway, without it. Hell of a caveat.

Micmu

Magister
Can you disable the previews when hovering over a link? It's one of the only bits of JS in the system that ADDS to the load instead of reducing it.
Not to mention it's useless and incredibly annoying if you leave mouse parked in the wrong place while scrolling.

gromit

Arcane
I sincerely doubt they do. I'm convinced it's a shit feature through-and-through.

I know there are some threads with very non-descriptive titles floating around right now, but in most cases, how much more can you get from a preview of the first post, the length of an oversize "tweet," that you couldn't glean from the title and author alone? How many times a day does someone linger over a link for 0.2s while having every intent to click it anyway, or none to click at all from the start?

It will send that request every time you click a link to go to a forum, unless you mouseover, click, and either mouseout or hit the next page in the space of a quarter second. Even if the feature was useful, the unintentional uses may outweigh the "full-page loads" that are saved.

To its credit, it keeps each preview in the html once loaded, so that particular request can only happen once per-thread per-pageview. And, to be fair, I wrote that last post while still under the impression that the hover-previews could provide a preview of the last post. Since it's always the first, it hopefully takes advantage of the consistency and caches the preview at the time of submission / editing.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
I don't know, I never use it. I doubt many people do either and there's probably some resources wasted on unintentional mouseovers. I don't know if there's a setting to turn it off in XF though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom