Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline What is the worst decline? (30+ option multi answer poll.)

Which of these things is the worst trend in games made today? (Multiple votes allowed)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cadmus

Arcane
The worst decline are the xbox and such consoles and their effect on the market. This means, retarded controls, difficulty, shitty graphics, fucking key prompts, QTEs, linearity, shitty memory leading to shitty environments et etc.

Another is is the DRM but that's not a decline, that's been here as soon as it was possible and feasible to make.

Another is the brand rape. There was a time when I too used to look forward to new releases of my favourite games but that's long gone.

I don't care about the money schemes like DLCs, I just wont buy the game if it's sold with shit like this

APGunner

Augur
You use an MMO to illustrate your point? Not a good idea. For one thing, the mechanic of gameplay in MMO is different from a single player game. Like that social aspect for example.
Doesn't matter what kind of a game it is, I presented SWTOR as an example of a game where full VA made it stand out from competition and be worth playing.

For another, you dont want to play SWTOR if it's not have VA eh? How elitist of you. How... picky of you. Play a game just because that voice aspect alone eh~ Perhaps you dont know, but THAT doesnt make your opinion worth listening to. A gamer play a game because he want to, well, play. If he want to listen, movies, musics about SW are abound, just await your pleasure.
VA and cinematic story is THE ONLY thing that SWTOR has going for it compared to any other themepark MMO. The gameplay is shit, noone would actually play it if it had a countless amount of textboxes instead of VA. Full VA is in no way a requirement for me to play a game though.

Stuff about big bad marketing department ruining games.
Publishers want to maximize profit, marketing department having creative control indeed leads to simplified games, where you watch awesome stuff happen, yes. I don't blame them.
I don't think that having complex gameplay is a requirement for a good game. Also I absolutely hate "watchable" games like Beyond: Two Souls. Can't there be a middle ground? Are AAA games "ruined forever"?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Many of those issues are a result of games being made for phones.

DRM is the other biggie. How many of these games with DRM will still be around were it not for pirates hacking them?

I'm not crazy about pirates "stealing" stuff but some of the things they do is a public service.

Everything is totally fine. Why?

I hate positive/negative rails in games. I also generally prefer dangerous environments, so I like being able to fall off cliffs and having serious consequences if I fail. I prefer first person view. I hate in-game radars and show-everything maps which in the game JUST for convenience. I sat through MMO's which removed a lot of things to make teh game more accessible and easier for players, even as I hated the changes. So you'd think I'd have a lot to complain about!

Why'd I say everything is fine? Becaise there're lots of niche games out ther and lots of mods. If I want to be able to fall off a cliff in game or to experience negative consequences if I make bad choices then I can find that. Sure, there're huge enormously popular games which don't allow you to fall off cliffs and generally put you on positive rails, but who cares? I don't HAVE to play those games.

And I don't consider removing the ability to fall off a cliff dumbing down. Nor do I consider removing inventory encumbrance or volume from items. Removing experience loss fr omdeath or permanent death isn't dumbing down either. Showing players where NPCs are by giving them glowing paths and putting quest icons on their heads isn't dumbing down. Cutting the number of skills from 42 to 21 doesn't have to be. Giving the player OOC regen isn't. Fast travle isn't dumbing down.

Those things aren't dumbing down, but I don't like them. Maybe I'm just an old intolerant gamer, but I like knowing I can fall of cliffs and consequences for failure are high. I like getting lost at first when I leanr an area. I like being able to stumble on much higher level creatures than myself. These things all make the world much more unpredictable and intense. Some players don't like it to be like that which is fine. I can find games which give me what I want, so I'm happy.

Dumbing down to me is when a game cuts down the options one has to creatively solve a problem. So while removing skills isn't necessarily dumbing down, IT IS dumbing down if it's reducing what you can do to solve something creatively.

Last edited:

adrix89

Cipher
Why are there so many of my country here?
Paid DLC being used to inflate prices.

To be fair with dollar inflation and the 60$ price that solidified I can see why they need this with their astronomical budgets. If its some pointless sidequests its fine. More substantial content like expansion packs is also good to have.

Too much budget spent on marketing.

Marketing is fine, its not like it affects the budget much as its still fucking astronomical.

Dumbing down difficulty for crappy players/idiots.

Easier difficulty is fine for new players as long as you keep the complexity and have a challenging difficulty for experts. There is no reason you can't have both.

Fucking DRM.

I think DRM will be less prominent in the future so I don't see it as a decline. They have failed and got burned as hard as they could.

Things being made for phones instead of proper computers.

More specifically both mobile and consoles. And its not because of the graphics.
Consoles have controllers that can't handle too complex interactions or have good accuracy. If they kept it to action and racing games everyone would have been happy, but it was all ruined when fps got popular on console.
Everything had to be dumbed down because of the controllers, and since PC lost its exclusive cash cow it got abandoned.
Tablets would have been interesting for tactical or strategic games if the market wasn't dominated by brain dead retards.

APGunner

Augur
Everything is totally fine. Why?
And I don't consider removing the ability to fall off a cliff dumbing down.
Nor do I consider removing inventory encumbrance or volume from items.
Removing experience loss from death or permanent death isn't dumbing down either.
Agreed.

Showing players where NPCs are by giving them glowing paths and putting quest icons on their heads isn't dumbing down. Fast travle isn't dumbing down.
NONONONONO. THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER.
:fight:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom