Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline What is the worst RPG of all time?

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Dragon Age: Inquisition. That game broke something inside of me.

There are probably at least twenty other RPGs that are objectively worse in some way, but the entire cultural context of that game bothers me.

I wouldn't know, I was ready to give up after giving up on 2 and the initial shows of DA:I made the game an instant ignore for me (and I suspect most sensible people that view this game's inclusion as a bit of "you're own fault for even trying it").

janior

Arcane
Vatnik
Worst one I played was definitely DA:O
Is it the only game you ever played?
no
And what is your favourite rpg?Pong maybe?
not sure, warband/gothic/bloodlines is my top3 probably

While not condemning your choice of games, I mean Gothic, for instance, is a top codex RPG, it does seem notable that you don't hold party-based RPG'ing in your idea of pinnacle. This could be why DA:O sucks for you more than the average. DA:O wasn't a great game, but it wasn't complete shit either, it was kind of the definition of RPG-by-the-numbers. It didn't enthral, but it didn't entirely disappoint either. Perhaps you are allergic to the premise of an RPG at its most basic level so that when one comes along that just gives you a regular RPG at its most basic level you react like its poison?
Not really, i enjoyed several party-based rpgs but not gonna lie they are mostly dungeon crawlers except for P:Torment and Arcanum but in general i like to have a party in combat focused rpgs. Not saying D:O is worst rpg ever just the worst one i played.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Worst one I played was definitely DA:O
Is it the only game you ever played?
no
And what is your favourite rpg?Pong maybe?
not sure, warband/gothic/bloodlines is my top3 probably

While not condemning your choice of games, I mean Gothic, for instance, is a top codex RPG, it does seem notable that you don't hold party-based RPG'ing in your idea of pinnacle. This could be why DA:O sucks for you more than the average. DA:O wasn't a great game, but it wasn't complete shit either, it was kind of the definition of RPG-by-the-numbers. It didn't enthral, but it didn't entirely disappoint either. Perhaps you are allergic to the premise of an RPG at its most basic level so that when one comes along that just gives you a regular RPG at its most basic level you react like its poison?

Yeah, I was gonna say, I'm only so-so on DA:O but I can't even imagine thinking of it as the worst RPG. The worst RPG in the Codex Top 50, maybe. There's just so much genuine crap out there, though.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
"DA:O" spends the second half of the game having you run down endless corridors while you are spammed with lazy trash mob fights that never seem to end. They draw you in with a semi-interesting beginning and squander it all by the halfway point, hoping you'll keep pressing forward to see if it gets any better. It doesn't.

Gothic 3? Are we even trying today? Or did I miss a (quite sensible) caveat, earlier in the thread, that we were going to focus on games that had some sort of promising element or other 'reason to expect better', instead of just plain broken games?

Even with such a caveat, I'm genuinely interested in why you'd rate G3 to be obviously worse than Oblivion base-game. Let alone all those U3 clones that came out on 90s shareware, which had about a 1 in 10 strike rate in terms of not being flat out broken. I mean, G3 even has a working quicksave, and it's at least theoretically possible to avoid game-breaking bugs and play to the end. Hell, there's even more than one enemy type!

Ok, putting aside that kind of stupid sh**t as being the 'Steam Greenlight' of its day, is G3 really worse than Arkania? Again, not mocking, I'm genuinely interested in hearing out why you found Arkania (in the same series) more tolerable.

Even sticking to AAA, there's the Pools of Radiance remake that on top of being generally shit, had a bug that wiped your fucking hard-drive. And whilst I didn't hate Ultima 8 as much as some folk, any sympathy that might have put it ahead of G3 was lost the 2nd time it corrupted my operating system (sadly, that was 1 less than my total number of attempts at that game - my old man's computer techie had even warned me that it was U8 that was doing it, and went to the trouble of making a rescue disk for my old man to use after I'd quietly reinstalled the game and wrecked another Win 3.0 install).

If we're just looking at 'game as game', and forgetting the bugs, then there's a tonne of dungeon crawlers that sink lower than any 'full' open world quest crpg like G3. Not because the genre is intrinsically better, but simply because they're easier to shove out the door by putting a knife to all the unfinished enemies/maps/skills/classes. In the C64 days they wouldn't go to the trouble of changing their box material or game manual either; almost like they were specifically aiming to crush the souls of any kid at that age where you're just old enough to be massively excited by all the promised features, whilst not quite being worldly enough to realise that the developers had dumped a turd on your face before spending the next 70 hours trying to find the promised features, determined that you'll unlock the class requirements or 'get to the good part'.

Also see: 90s ports of any crpg or sports game, where they wouldn't mention that they'd cut 95% of the game's features in order to fit it into their shitty we really have sunk that low that we're knowingly defrauding children "101 games on 1 disk", and that you already own the other 100 games because 80 of them are really just one "only 1 game screen hence doesn't take up any disk space" D-grade Asteroids clone, and the other 20 are the same crappy shareware games that were given away free with every edition of your local gaming magazine.

Last edited:

JasonCooper

Barely Literate
To me, Final Fantasy 13 trilogy.
I'm a newb and I'm starting on big releases, so far the worst experience is FF13/13-2/LR, among all the WRPG and JRPG I've played.
Might change my mind after I play more.

gestalt11

Arbiter
As in it could have been way worse, DA:I was shit folowing shit, nobody gives a shit.

No amount of disappointment has, and I mean this literally not figuratively, ever made me nauseous from disgust and contempt. Oh god, that singing cutscene; it will haunt me for the rest of my life.

gestalt11

Arbiter
As in it could have been way worse, DA:I was shit folowing shit, nobody gives a shit.

No amount of disappointment has, and I mean this literally not figuratively, ever made me nauseous from disgust and contempt.

Your time will come :negative:

Nah it won't. And for two reasons. 1) I don't get onto hype trains and 2) disappointment breeds resentment and hatred mostly (as this thread show very well). DA:I provokes true genuine disgust regardless of context.

Self-Ejected

Pariah Dog

Self-Ejected
Patron
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
ad12304519.gif

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
ad12304519.gif

Nope, i've recently tried to play this again, to see if i can find something good in that game, after all the patches and widescreen fixes, but nope, it's still a buggy mess, with horrible combat, leveling, game mechanics, poor story, bad map, bad cities, and mediocre cliche characters.

Self-Ejected

Pariah Dog

Self-Ejected
Patron
it's still a buggy mess
It has a few issues, yes, but nothing that would make me go "this is a bad game"
with horrible combat
Combat's not great but it's not that fucking bad. Maybe something like Skyrim would be more your speed.
leveling, game mechanics
Arcanum does both of these fine, you pantywaist. Go play Skyrim.
poor story, bad map, bad cities, and mediocre cliche characters.
And this is how I know you're either completely full of shit and trolling, or you just have the worst goddamn taste I've ever seen. Or maybe you love gnomes. In which case, fuck you, gnome-lover.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Eh, I've played some bad games but most of them didn't scar me in any way.

Descent to Undermountain... wasn't the worst. Oddly, the writing wasn't bad and I managed to enjoy it.
Ultima 9... after the patches, there was still something there. Was nice to "fix" the shrines and cities, but overall a lot of it sucked.

Ultima 8... had me almost enraged. I kept thinking if I followed the right dialog options, I would find a good game in there, but no. Just bad. Same with the way the character moved. Terrible engine. Nevermind the jumping puzzles and such. That game was a dark, sad place. I'd place it as a bigger disappointment than U9.

DA:O - just didn't like this. Didn't like where it was taking RPGs, didn't like the party banter, didn't like the spell system or combat. Never played the sequels.

Skyrim. Liked it worse than Oblivion, and it's hard to defend, but three stats, constant combat, puzzles for morons, an even more simplified dialog system, it was just so damn boring!

At the end of the day, I'll just say Ultima 8. It's still very hard to play, just so many bad decisions.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
It has a few issues, yes, but nothing that would make me go "this is a bad game"
It is, alt-tab problems, combat bugs that will bug out your fight, so you have to restart over, vertical mouse sensitivity problem etc.

Combat's not great but it's not that fucking bad. Maybe something like Skyrim would be more your speed.
Such a low response, Skyrim combat is bad[hp bloat, simplistic enemies without different combat patterens and abilities, alchemy/enchanting exploit], that doesnt make Arcanum combat good in comparison[spamming harm spell for example].

No it's not the sense of progression, the sense of CC your opponents, and information how the leveling affects combat is almost none.

And this is how I know you're either completely full of shit and trolling, or you just have the worst goddamn taste I've ever seen. Or maybe you love gnomes. In which case, fuck you, gnome-lover.
Yes get on with the "complex" cliche plot about world full of halflings, racial division, "scary" technology that is not understandable to commoners[almost as cliche as "scary" magic in other RPGs], cliche find your destiny, because you don't remember shit.
I'm more a half-ork/half-human lover though, gnomes are not up my alley.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Pariah Dog

Self-Ejected
Patron
Skyrim. Liked it worse than Oblivion, and it's hard to defend, but three stats, constant combat, puzzles for morons, an even more simplified dialog system, it was just so damn boring!

Skyrim's biggest fucking cardinal sin is that it decided to minimize the "RPG" and maximize the "hack and slash" and it does a SHIT job at "hack and slash". Melee combat is a game of "death by a thousand fucking paper cuts" (more or less just like fucking Oblivion) and everything just feels the fucking same. There is no meaningful difference between going axe, mace or sword, and the difference between 1h, 2h and DW is that 2h is garbage and 1h/DW will outfight 2h any day and twice on Sunday.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Yes get on with the "complex" cliche plot about world full of halflings, racial division, "scary" technology that is not understandable to commoners[almost as cliche as "scary" magic in other RPGs], cliche find your destiny, because you don't remember shit.

Name a work of media released before Arcanum that had all of or most of those themes.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

Name a work of media released before Arcanum that had all of or most of those themes.

In Poland from where i come from, all of this was in Witcher book series.There's also a famous series called Malazan book of the fallen, also about racial divisions.And before that there were tons of fantasy books in the 80s that exploited other themes you've quoted.

Self-Ejected

Pariah Dog

Self-Ejected
Patron
It is, alt-tab problems, combat bugs that will bug out your fight, so you have to restart over, vertical mouse sensitivity problem etc.
I've only encountered the alt-tab issue and I simply don't fucking alt-tab when I play Arcanum.

Such a low response, Skyrim combat is bad[hp bloat, simplistic enemies without different combat patterens and abilities, alchemy/enchanting exploit], that doesnt make Arcanum combat good in comparison[spamming harm spell for example].
So stop being a fucking munchkin. No one's twisting your fucking arm and demanding that you spam Harm, or even that you go Magic (which is relative easymode). This is PEBKAC.

No it's not the sense of progression, the sense of CC your opponents, and information how the leveling affects combat is almost none.
Your sense of progression should be how far you're advancing through the plot or side-plot, not the fucking numbers on your character sheet. You sound like a fucking munchkin.

I'm more a half-ork/half-human lover though, gnomes are not up my alley.
It's almost like some themes are commonly used because they're relatable and make good conflicts and thus stories. Amnesia is slightly lazy but is understandable after that fucking dirigible crash.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom