Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline What is the worst RPG of all time?

Iznaliu

Arbiter
You fell for the "new fallout" meme. That's on you, game is great.

I don't think Underrail was that hyped either.

pippin

Some people were expecting it with passion, but I wouldn't say it had "hype". It's still a very relevant game for codexian interests though.

I can recall RPGs that were badly designed, or RPGs that were so badly implemented that they aren't even "fit for purpose" as games. But none of them were actively trying to subvert the genre. They were merely shit. In contrast, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion -- the anti-Christ of RPGs -- is a cancer which metastasized to infect RPG design as a whole. Its evil transends one game. Its evil probably transcends space and time.

Krivol

Magister
Its evil probably transcends space and time.

Can you go into detail on that?

images

Max Damage

Savant
Lionheart: Legacy of Crusader was the worst RPG I've ever played. Such a good beginning with Barcelona, and then it turns into poorly made Diablo clone. It's kinda like NWN OC, except nothing about NWN was promising to begin with, and it still eventually got a decent expansion. I kept playing Lionheart hoping it'd somehow deliver, but had to stop after that dungeon with evil genie because unless you play with spoilers and put everything into combat on level ups, your character will be gimped worse than in KOTOR, and not just for the final fight.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
What is the worst RPG of all time

Very good question.

If we are talking titles which have been marketed as such then it's a battle between Skyrim (a half-broken port), Fallout 4 (hack & slash game), Dragon Age Inquisition (console button masher) and Mass Effect Andromeda (cringeworthy interactive hollywood movie)

If we are talking real RPGs then probably Dungeon Lords (imo). But I'd still rather play the shit out of that than any of the above.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
What is the worst RPG of all time

Very good question.

If we are talking titles which have been marketed as such then it's a battle between Skyrim (a half-broken port), Fallout 4 (hack & slash game), Dragon Age Inquisition (console button masher) and Mass Effect Andromeda (cringeworthy interactive hollywood movie)

If we are talking real RPGs then probably Dungeon Lords (imo). But I'd still rather play the shit out of that than any of the above.

I'm sure there's worse stuff out there.

vota DC

Augur
I was certainly disappointed by Oblivion (most tedious level scaling ever) and Ultima IX (broken in so many fucking ways), but I wouldn't call them the worst games out there. The game I can remember being so disappointed and annoyed with I gave up in an hour was actually https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betrayal_in_Antara.

This stuff killed birthright the gorgon's alliance that had huge potential but wasn't developed enough (was supposed to have three expansions) to make space to this antarogame.

Falksi

Arcane
3 RPG's which constantly kept making me stop and question "wtf? how am I meant to be finding any enjoyment in this? And if I am when does that start?" were FF13, Dragon Age:2, and Dragon Age:Inquisition.

FF13 was just such a none-entity it was stunning. I was amazed at how that "gameplay" could be developed as anything other than an insult to the people who play it. The only emotion I felt before I quit was "I've just paid money for some devs to take the piss out of me"

DA:2......Ugggh. Foolishly I somehow managed to force my way through the entire experuence because I enjoyed Origins so much, and I kept telling myself how Origins first 10 hours or so weren't particularly fun, so something good must be around the corner. On and on it went, as I arduously trudged through the various mires of this game. then it ended, and it hit me how horrid the whole thing was.

DA:I This, this was mind-blowingly bad. I mean, it was barely a game. It genuinely felt like real work, as if someone should be paying me to do all the things required to progress. It looked awful, played awful, felt awful and I'm still gobsmacked that it got any remote form of praise. If anything cements the necessity to wipe out the sub-humans who enjoy trash amongst us, it's this game.

You want a better world? Find those who rated all of these 8 or higher on Metacritic, and wipe them off the face of the planet.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
FF13 was just such a none-entity it was stunning. I was amazed at how that "gameplay" could be developed as anything other than an insult to the people who play it. The only emotion I felt before I quit was "I've just paid money for some devs to take the piss out of me"

Some Steamtard got mad at me because my review of FF13 was less than stellar and told me I should kill myself (something I'd rather do than attempt to play FF13 again, honestly).

My review of the game was something along the lines of: "If you enjoy running in straight lines all the time, watching long cutscenes that make absolutely no sense, and pressing the 'A' button multiple times until you auto-win at combat, I have found the game for you. You won't be burdened by choices that matter, bogged down by an engaging story or have to get good at fighting tactical combats. Casuals welcome!"

I stand by my review.

Falksi

Arcane

Some Steamtard got mad at me because my review of FF13 was less than stellar and told me I should kill myself (something I'd rather do than attempt to play FF13 again, honestly).

My review of the game was something along the lines of: "If you enjoy running in straight lines all the time, watching long cutscenes that make absolutely no sense, and pressing the 'A' button multiple times until you auto-win at combat, I have found the game for you. You won't be burdened by choices that matter, bogged down by an engaging story or have to get good at fighting tactical combats. Casuals welcome!"

I stand by my review.

:bro: That review nails it tbh. You've gotta be some kind of ultra dumb to see FF13 as even remotely engaging.

The only RPG that I have played and personally consider to be a bad RPG and video game altogether would be...

Lunardragonsongbox.jpg

Underdeveloped and inconsistently paced story (with odd translation typos to boot) and, with the exception of a few interesting ideas, absolutely, soul crushingly terrible and time draining gameplay!

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
hellfire-cover-atari.jpg

On a more "logical" note, however: I think "worst ever" has a huge number of definitions.

IMO, Fallout 4 is the worst RPG ever for a good number of reasons:

- It is a 2015 game that didn't improve in any significant way or form on a 1997 game.
- It finished ruining one of the most prestigious RPG franchises of all time.
- It is more shooter than it is RPG.
- It is a terrible RPG for a game that alleges to be a great RPG.
- It's a mediocre game on its own right.

The only thing missing is the "disappointment" label, then again, can hardly call it a disappointment when you see the writing on the wall after FO3 and Skyrim.

Agree, actually borderlands qualifies just as much to be called an rpg as fo4, maybe even more... since it has characters that differentiate in playstyle, and those characters can
be played in different way for even more options, quest design is similar shitty in both but in borderlands you can drive to your fetch quest in a tank or dune buggy.

And i dont even like borderlands....

Iznaliu

Arbiter
since it has characters that differentiate in playstyle, and those characters can
be played in different way for even more options, quest design is similar shitty in both but in borderlands you can drive to your fetch quest in a tank or dune buggy.

Some people somewhere will probably say that this makes it less of an RPG, since it means you can't role-play as much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom