Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What isometric RPG to play?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Super Mario RPG.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Jagged Alliance 2. I started a playthrough and the game holds up so well. I mean crows even come and peck at the decaying corpses.

And every merc has their own unique comment on that, reflecting their personality.

crows.jpg

I like how Buns laughs at the sight, and then she apologizes.

GOAT game.

boot

Prophet
Jagged Alliance 2. I started a playthrough and the game holds up so well. I mean crows even come and peck at the decaying corpses. Story is satire and combat is excellent.

game doesn't just hold up, it beats down anything that comes near it. Still holds the TBS/RPG throne, almost 20 years now. 1.13 is the crown sitting perfectly on it's head.

It does require some level of strategic management though.

As if that were a bad thing!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I second Freedom Force, I've loved it ever since I first played it and go back to it every couple of years. The sequel is also fine, I just didn't like most of the new additions to the cast for some reason, even Tombstone who is right up my alley. Their powers were a bit meh I guess. I'd love another sequel or a similar game to come out.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I second Freedom Force, I've loved it ever since I first played it and go back to it every couple of years. The sequel is also fine, I just didn't like most of the new additions to the cast for some reason, even Tombstone who is right up my alley. Their powers were a bit meh I guess. I'd love another sequel or a similar game to come out.
Can always play the mod which is basically Pulp heroes:the mod.

Mark Richard

Arcane
The original game is brilliant, but I can't see myself replaying the sequel any time soon. The new heroes are like The Watchmen of the series in that they barely have any powers at all, leaving you with a less zany Freedom Force which fails to utilize the physics engine. Most of them can't wield a tree trunk, throw cars, or 'accidentally' take out buildings with an energy blast. At one point you're told to commandeer a tank. Why would a superhero need a tank? I AM the tank!

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
The original game is brilliant, but I can't see myself replaying the sequel any time soon. The new heroes are like The Watchmen of the series in that they barely have any powers at all, leaving you with a less zany Freedom Force which fails to utilize the physics engine. Most of them can't wield a tree trunk, throw cars, or 'accidentally' take out buildings with an energy blast. At one point you're told to commandeer a tank. Why would a superhero need a tank? I AM the tank!

Exactly, not to mention that you were forced to play with Tricolour and the British dude (Blackjack?), who are severely underpowered. You did have seemingly underpowered heroes in 1 too, like Eve, Liberty Lad, Sea Urchin or Black Bird, but they had redeeming qualities. Black Bird was the only one capable of doing Cold damage and she had access to flight very early. Eve starts out somewhat weak, but her arrows end up hitting like a truck, in addition to being super accurate. She also has paralyze, very accurate AoE, acid attacks etc. In the end I used her a lot. I can't say the same for the Three (Two?) Stooges from the Nazi times in the sequel. They were just gimped throughout the whole thing. It's like they are made for a different kind of game, like a Commandos style stealth game. Tombstone was just boring, and his "ultimate" power, possession, was almost useless because most minions that could be possessed were very weak compared to him, so it wasn't worth losing him for them. Again, feels like he would be at home in a different game.

Also, the scaling back of scope, in the original you fought
gangsters, superpowered gangsters, Russian supersoldiers, giant ants, ugly shadow people, Greek mythological creatures, dinosaurs, robots, evil clones, aliens and Time Master's minions
while in the Third Reich, you fight some of the same things, but also Nazis. Lol. The lowest hanging fruit of villains.

Last edited:

Neanderthal

Arcane
I resorted to usin a custom hero on some missions in FFvsTTR, which is another good aspect I suppose, runnin Captain Britain, Thor or Dark Hulk around were a bloody treat especially if you specced em interestingly. Some o animations an such on fan made characters put base game to shame, gi a man a game an he'll play for a week, gi a man a toolset an he'll tinker for far too bloody long.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I've heard mixed things about Revenant, mainly negative ones. Like it being unfinished, unpolished, repetitive dungeon design etc.

Ensi

Educated
I spent all day yesterday playing AoD hahah, as a pure talking merchant. Sucks having to completely avoid combat, but it's a fun game, especially later on when you get to the weird supernatural and scifi elements. Thanks for the other recs, I'll be returning to this thread.

Severian Silk

After you get over a couple of years of Spiderweb burnout, try Geneforge 2 as well, it's my favourite, and the only one in the series (maybe actually in the genre) that's truly open.
I don't think I can play another Spiderweb game after GF 1 and Avernum 4-6. I can't look at those same sprites any more.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I'll never blog about grandpa's garbage.

In 20 years, people will draw the line for "grandpa's garbage" at around 2017. What does the future of RPGdom hold? Will we all fall ov¹ the tide of popamole, or sind² we experiencing the beginning of the greatest age of RPGs ever witnessed? Remember that, Lilura. Keep it with you, and use it well.

Âąunder
²are

Alkarl

Learned
If you can play Fallout and Baldur's Gate, you will be able to play Dark Sun.

Disagree. Nothing pre-Fallout is worth my time.

I'll never blog about grandpa's garbage.

How quaint. You must be living in the most glorious age of incline then, huh?

I second Iznaliu opinion on this matter. Besides, there are many things that predate Fallout that are worth more than most things post-Fallout.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Old man, if you think any grandpa garbage can stand alongside Fallout in the genre, then you are demented.

Same goes for Jagged Alliance 2. These two titles are far above anything past, present or foreseeable future.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i never would've imagined codexers had such differing tastes i thought we all just like rpgs. you know, like how music fans all love music.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom