Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime What the fuck is this

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
It had to go - it was buggy as shit. XF integration didn't work, and even though I'd turned off half the features (like the boing, being able to create channels and so on), people were still able to use those features. Sad though, it looked pretty neat and had some nice embed features that'd have allowed it to be used as a shoutbox with channels... Assuming those features actually worked.

It may come back depending on if their support can resolve it.

EDIT: And while I'm here, IRC plugins rely on IRC. Which is fine but it means everyone needs a separate login, and mods would have to login otherwise we lose the channel / their rights (which has happened before when the #codex channel was taken over once and nobody cared). Ideally I want something integrated with XF so there's no extra login required.

CometChat's known as the biggest resource hog among the chat addons. I tried several and most of them vary in bugginess only in the span between "very" and "moderately". For a site as large as the Codex though, any chat addon running completely locally would probably put a lot of load on the server, so I'd enable it just for logged-in users. I ended up installing ArrowChat on my site that's relatively decent, though also very buggy. When it works, it's nice though, stripped of all the nonsense nobody needs. Support's crap and bugs take forever and a day to get fixed, if ever, unfortunately.

The vBulletin integration was very good, though - the install was fully automatic and went without a hitch. Only took a few relatively simple manual fixes for avatar display in chatrooms.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Yeah, there is a purchase option that outsources hosting to their server (which assumes their server has any grunt). I looked at ArrowChat but didn't like how the rooms were hidden. And in fact finding a chat option that has multiple rooms which you can join at the same time seems to be impossibly hard.

There is one reasonably decent multi-room one only it's a per month fee: https://www.envolve.com/

But doesn't seem to have the embed in page options and other things CometChat has. Really, I just want a tabbed Shoutbox.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can't you make it a dockable window of some sort or even just make it a separate webpage that can dock into the page to look like one page until you click something to deactivate the Docking Feature™

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
IRC plugins rely on IRC. Which is fine but it means everyone needs a separate login, and mods would have to login otherwise we lose the channel / their rights (which has happened before when the #codex channel was taken over once and nobody cared). Ideally I want something integrated with XF so there's no extra login required.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Who gives a shit about login dude can't you just make people guests or set a different name, anybody who cares about their identity can just register
Based on historical evidence, allowing people to post as guest is not recommended. Some of you need to be controlled.

buzz

Arcane
Oh, here it goes again.

Is there a point to this system though? I mean, first of all, there is a shoutbox already.
Second, a chat system detracts from what's supposed to be the primary experience: the forum itself. More and more people will stay in the chat rooms rather than use the forums, leaving the place a bit empty. And it's not the chat that gives you more traffic, revenue from your ads, connections with game developers and modders and so on.
The only half-useful purpose I see with this would be cleaning up the GD trash and moving most of the drama queens in there. I hope it works, though I may have jinxed it.

DakaSha

Arcane
Having real chat (with rooms) is great. Everybody who disagrees is wrong.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Second, a chat system detracts from what's supposed to be the primary experience: the forum itself. More and more people will stay in the chat rooms rather than use the forums, leaving the place a bit empty. And it's not the chat that gives you more traffic, revenue from your ads, connections with game developers and modders and so on.
People said the same shit when the shoutbox was open and nothing happened

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Somebody tell me when that fucking chat bar gets removed so I can whitelist the codex on noscript again.

buzz

Arcane
People said the same shit when the shoutbox was open and nothing happened
Because the shoutbox is not IN YO FACE visible like this chat thing.
But yeah, even that shoutbox pisses me off. I like lurking and reading stuff, but that one doesn't get archived.

I'm not a contributor of any kind (yet) to the website so it's not in my power to make demands, but I feel we'd benefit much more if DU tried implement a wiki-thing instead, where we can catalogue cRPGs (or tabletop games) and how to run them.

made

Arcane
While I appreciate every next-gen feature added to the Codex, this one makes the website lag even worse than facebook so I was forced to block it. :(

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Oh, here it goes again.

Is there a point to this system though? I mean, first of all, there is a shoutbox already.
The only half-useful purpose I see with this would be cleaning up the GD trash and moving most of the drama queens in there. I hope it works, though I may have jinxed it.

That's always the dilemma with chatrooms and shoutboxes, how much is it going to hurt the forum core but you never know until you try it. I'd expect it to dwindle down to a few regulars after the novelty wears off. Frankly, the most use I ever got out of it was for IM convos between staff members.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
how much do we have to donate until you roll back to the old shoutbox
we don't want features

hell, remove the entire shoutbox, that'd still beat this malware button hogging at least .5% of my screen at the bottom right

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom