Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline What the fucking hell is wrong with indie devs?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I was just trying out Our Darker Purpose (Binding of Isaac clone) and had to stop because the fucking thing was eating up over 3 gigs of memory. Apparently it requires directx10. The entire installation is 300MB.

Can someone explain to me how the fuck you need 10 times your installation footprint in fucking memory? For a top down 2D twinstick shooter? This game would have looked dated 20 years ago on a fucking console, but apparently has system requirements that put Dark Souls, Saints Row 3, and fucking Europa Universalis 3 to shame.

I can understand being a little sloppy because who the fuck doesn't have an extra gig of RAM floating around anyways, but jesus christ, how do you fail at programming this badly? This is like building a one seater car with no trunkspace that gets the fuel efficiency of a fucking tank.

And this isn't the only game I've tried out that has been like this. I've literally given up on buying games before testing them first because of this shit.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I'm betting on Unity Engine. Gamemaking is not an art anymore, anyone can pop it and not care about memory or optimizations because computers hugely overperform for those kind of games. Even me.

EDIT: apparently not, just poor coding

http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?p=5519450#5519450

That's because it runs sql server to store data, hashes stats/credits/lessons/periods independently each and stores them as sql database thus posing problem to use cheat engine.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
You should check how much memory ADOM uses and then compare it to JADE.

And people will still try to tell you Java isn't a bloated piece of shit.

No Great Name

Arcane
I'm betting on Unity Engine. Gamemaking is not an art anymore, anyone can pop it and not care about memory or optimizations because computers hugely overperform for those kind of games. Even me.
If Unity was that bad at memory management, then nobody would use it until it got fixed. Also...

I've literally given up on buying games before testing them first because of this shit.
Shame you haven't figured this out sooner.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Itz a memory leak or terrible caches which don't release timely.

More specifically, if a dev is not forced to test with a bounded memory limit (no virtual memory tricks) they will not give a shit. Which is why java 512mb default limit was useful to flush out idiocy. Although it really should be 128 mb or something.

Caching is one of the 'hard' problems in computer engineering by the way.

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
If Unity was that bad at memory management, then nobody would use it until it got fixed. Also...
Unity is less efficient at memory management than any inhouse C++ engine, which is the industry's gold standard. It was meant as a broad stroke.

Also, why can't you cause a memory leak in Unity?

Last edited:

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
I was just trying out Our Darker Purpose (Binding of Isaac clone) and had to stop because the fucking thing was eating up over 3 gigs of memory. Apparently it requires directx10. The entire installation is 300MB.

Can someone explain to me how the fuck you need 10 times your installation footprint in fucking memory? For a top down 2D twinstick shooter? This game would have looked dated 20 years ago on a fucking console, but apparently has system requirements that put Dark Souls, Saints Row 3, and fucking Europa Universalis 3 to shame.

I can understand being a little sloppy because who the fuck doesn't have an extra gig of RAM floating around anyways, but jesus christ, how do you fail at programming this badly? This is like building a one seater car with no trunkspace that gets the fuel efficiency of a fucking tank.

And this isn't the only game I've tried out that has been like this. I've literally given up on buying games before testing them first because of this shit.
One would think that indie games would fare well with low end computers but unfortunately hipster devs are too fucking stoopid to achieve that. You know this when ugly as fuck 2d games such as Hotline miami or La mulana refuses to run on integrated video cards. Sure, the card is shitty, but it still plays a fuckload of more complex 3d games with PS2 level graphics. Optimization is a lost art.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron

One would think that indie games would fare well with low end computers but unfortunately hipster devs are too fucking stoopid to achieve that. You know this when ugly as fuck 2d games such as Hotline miami or La mulana refuses to run on integrated video cards. Sure, the card is shitty, but it still plays a fuckload of more complex 3d games with PS2 level graphics. Optimization is a lost art.
Hotline Miami doesn't work on integrated video cards because GameMaker doesn't work on integrated video cards. This is no case of developer optimization, but engine choice.

About engines and cards, the problem boils to standards support. If your Intel card doesn't have the appropriate DX/OGL extensions it just won't play the game or it'll be too slow. Can't optimize what's not there. Reengineering is a solution in any case, make a smaller version of the engine, but it usually never pays off moneywise.

No Great Name was making a case for Unity before, but if people went with closer to the metal engines like SDL this wouldn't be a problem. The problem would be having to reinvent the wheel for every prototype and pair of starving devs out there. The current compromise between easiness and performance isn't bad at all. Could be better, of course, but everything can.

Last edited:

Destroid

Arcane
Unity is less efficient at memory management than any inhouse C++ engine, which is the industry's gold standard. It was meant as a broad stroke.

It's more difficult because you are working in a memory managed environment (mono), but there are plenty of other things you can do to chew up all the memory besides leaking.

J1M

Arcane
If Unity was leaking memory that badly it wouldn't run on phones and tablets and those are its target platforms.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

You can always leak memory, but that isn't the fault of the engine.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron

If Unity was leaking memory that badly it wouldn't run on phones and tablets and those are its target platforms.
Let me rephrase again then for the twerks here: development in Unity gives the inexpert programmer more possibilities of BLOATING memory and not worrying/noticing than in other engines/frameworks. Is that accurate enough or do I need to explain it again?

Last edited:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

Let me rephrase again then for the twerks here: development in Unity gives the inexpert programmer more possibilities of leaking memory and not worrying/noticing than in other engines/frameworks. Is that accurate enough or do I need to explain it again?
It's a precise, but unproven and most likely false statement. Let's see some documentation.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron

Let me rephrase again then for the twerks here: development in Unity gives the inexpert programmer more possibilities of leaking memory and not worrying/noticing than in other engines/frameworks. Is that accurate enough or do I need to explain it again?
It's a precise, but unproven and most likely false statement. Let's see some documentation.
TIL the codex thinks managed memory is the way to go for serious game development.

EDIT: I made an edit to my previous post. I didn't mean leaking memory as in "oops forgot to deallocate a pointer", but bloating it. It's pre-coffee time.

Last edited:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

TIL the codex thinks managed memory is the way to go for serious game development.

EDIT: I made an edit to my previous post. I didn't mean leaking memory as in "oops forgot to deallocate a pointer", but bloating it. It's pre-coffee time.
Meh, a bad programmer can waste memory with any language. Unity however makes it a lot easier for bad programmers to actually finish games, so they're more likely to actually release their mess than if they were programming closer to the metal.

Eyeball

Arcane
You need a Whole lot of processing power to run the amount of pretentiousness present in most 8-bit graphic indie games.

No Great Name

Arcane
No Great Name was making a case for Unity before, but if people went with closer to the metal engines like SDL this wouldn't be a problem.

I am pointing out a faulty statement regardless of what I think about Unity especially because you are the one who first brought it up, guessing that Unity was the cause and jumping to conclusions.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I sorta feel like this thread is discussing how artist are trying and failing horribly at being engineers.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The fuck does this have to do with unity? The game in question is a bloated piece of shit because for some insane reason the stats are stored in an SQL server that runs concurrently with the game itself. I don't think I've ever played a unity game but developers seem to like it well enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom