Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

what was the last *great* RPG??

hivemind

D:OS and PoE.
what is *great* about these games?

Like seriously? try to explain pls

Witcher 3
EH, I liked it for what it was but magical girl parenting simulator polish edition is not a *great* RPG.

It's a good game that I enjoyed playing but it has far to go to be a *great* RPG.

questdesign
quest design was atrocious lol

most of the quests had good "fluff" but the "crunch", so to speak, was, to use an epic meme, banal shit boring

you pretty much have no choice of approach to problems
some times, at best, you get 2 (combat or axii)
yeah sure, sometimes you get asked the question to kill or not to kill but I don't think the choice of outcome is enough for the C&C aspect in RPGs
now I understand that this is so because of the limitations of Geralt as the protagonist so I'm looking forward to see what CDPR does with cyberpunk

imo Witcher 3 had quality and high production values in some parts, some really shitty things in others(hello itemization) but it failed to innovate in any way or really showcase the potential interactivity of video games(and RPGs in particular) to a great amount

it also lacks the special something to set it apart form good to great

VTM:B had it's atmosphere, writing and characters
Arcanum had the setting
Alpha Protocol the dialogue system
Planescape the writing, character and story

Witcher 3 has no peak of quality on the level comparable to these games.

if a game wants to rank among the greats without having some truly *great* and unique thing about itself it needs to be really *good* in absolutely all aspects - perfectly polished rock lives up to an unpolished diamond - but Witcher 3 wasn't satisfactory in all aspects

Divinity: Original Sin into that category.

debility: original shit is probably the worst turn based RPG I have ever played (for like 7 hours anyhow or like 10 I'm not sure)

the combat is too based on gimmicky elemental shit and the story and setting is pretty much lol so randumb

maybe I'm just an edgelord but I seriously can't spend dozens of hours immersed in a story and world that doesn't take itself one bit seriously

the fact that you have to either CO-OP or larp schizophrenic conversations also doesn't help

and what the fuck were those two companions

Mech

Cipher
Alpha Protocol being the last greatest RPG? The fuck is wrong with you people.

Cazzeris

hivemind You have a pretty retarded definition of what is important for an RPG to be considered great, since it allows games with extremely shitty elements that do one only thing right to enter the list.

Also, I can't believe how someone can list Alpha Protocol as "the last great RPG" with a straight face.

Tigranes

Arcane
hivemind You have a pretty retarded definition of what is important for an RPG to be considered great, since it allows games with extremely shitty elements that do one only thing right to enter the list.

Also, I can't believe how someone can list Alpha Protocol as "the last great RPG" with a straight face.

Well, your first paragraph explains the second paragraph!

Alpha Protocol is a great game in muh heart but I wouldn't call it a Great RPG. More like some Beautiful Mind figure in the history. But then, I'd say almost every good RPG is a stunted genius, BG2 a rare exception.

Cazzeris

Didn't really want to relate them directly. It's just that watching a game like Alpha Protocol standing next to other glorious classics like Fallout feels wrong. I don't understand why would someone label them as something similar.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
D:OS and PoE.
what is *great* about these games?

Like seriously? try to explain pls
wall of text
D:OS had excellent turn based combat, a lot of freedom and a simply mesmerizing co-op experience. I played it with the wife and I can easily say it's the best co-op CRPG ever. Admittedly the story had gaps and the dialogs were not good and the f*cking extra dimension thing was super boring but we are anxiously waiting to re-spend 100 hours of our lives in the EE , so that tells everything IMO.

As for PoE apart from the system problems which are apparent to experienced players, it provided an experience that wasn't around for many years. I can still memorize moments, lines, battles and I went through it without playing anything else in the mean time. It really was something special, regardless of the flaws.

kain611

Augur
Gonna have to say I'm especially fond of Neverwinter Nights Modules. OC is garbage but the life of the game is what other people have created. 13 years later and still gets fired up at least once or twice a month for a few hours.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Great, fuck i'm not really sure that i've played a great RPG in years, this Arcanum playthrough is good so far but i'm not sure it's great. I'd say great was either Fallout, Torment, Betrayal at Krondor or maybe even Ultima VII back in the day. Though saying that the combat was subpar to shit in all of those, then again has there ever been a perfect RPG? Is such a thing possible?

Edit: I did see a bloke saying a combat build for Torment was enjoyable other day, it was on Obsidian boards while I was looking to see if the Avellone novella had come out yet, think i'll try that next time I play Torment, see what's what.

Last edited:

SniperHF

Arcane
Gothic 2 NOTR.

There are a handful that come close since then but fall short for various reasons.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
DOS was great in the first act, but rapidly wore out its welcome after that. So, I guess I'm jumping on the New Vegas bandwagon.

Cadmus

Arcane
Alpha Protocol? Rofl. Comparing AP to Planescape because Planescape's combat kinda was bad?
I can't understand you, retards.
Divnity: OS's marketplace banter is better than the entirety of Alpha Protocol.

Alpha Protocol is a great game in muh heart but I wouldn't call it a Great RPG. More like some Beautiful Mind figure in the history. But then, I'd say almost every good RPG is a stunted genius, BG2 a rare exception.

Your heart is black and rotten. You might call it an "interesting" experiment in C&C at best. It's the only game I've played that was so bad at being a game it really should have been a shitty CYOA novel instead. Torment's combat was Counter Strike 1.4 in comparison. Not to mention it was better at everything else as well.
DOS was great in the first act, but rapidly wore out its welcome after that. So, I guess I'm jumping on the New Vegas bandwagon.

This fucking bullshit keeps getting mentioned and blown out of proportion all the time. I remember VtMB getting boring in the last 3rd, Wizardry 8 in the second half.

The Bootymancer

Learned
To find an RPG that is good would be to find irrefutable proof of God's existence. Just as belief in God requires faith and uncertainty, the RPG Codex could not exist if a game came into being that everyone here liked. We can only think foolishly that RPGs are good, and wait in fear for someone to explain why we are not actually having fun when we think we are.

roshan

Arcane
I'd say Dragonfall Director's Cut and Serpent in the Staglands.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom