Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

what was the last *great* RPG??

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
So many FPS/TPS in this thread...:0-13:

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
DX: Human Revolution.
I really liked the "dialogue battles" in HR.
I think that when I replay the game sometime in the future I'm probably going to play without the pheromone detector perk and see if they will feel good without it.

Yeah the pheromones made it easy. I wonder if they'll continue to do this in "Mankind divided"?

Divinity: Original Sin 2
Last great pretty good, RPG? F:NV.

I'd say D:OS but the roleplaying element was cut apparently. Combat is amazing tho, one of the best I've ever experienced.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Probably Fallout 2 or PST.

New Vegas could have been great if all the shit (and I mean every single nugget) inherited from Fallout 3 was replaced with proper ISO/TB/hubs design.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Knights of the Chalice probably... or maybe it just is the last crpg i really enjoyed from start to finish. Some of the newer ones aren't bad at all or at least do some things well (Dragonfall DC, D:OS, M&M X) but i can't call them "great". So KoTC it must be.
I agree with people mentioning Unerrail, there is a good chance, WHEN it comes out it will be the answer for op's question... but we are not there yet.

hivemind

What's with people even mentioning Alpha Protocol? Are they just trolling or something? Can we please permaban them, or give Andhaira unlimited access to their accounts?
Dialogue and reactivity you retard.

Caleb462

Educated
Fallout 2. In fact, FO1 and FO2 may be the only "great" RPGs I've ever played.
how come ?

Nothing I've played since has been anywhere near as fun/interesting/satisfying as those two games. In fact I joined the Codex to ask you guys for recs because I was at a loss for anything to match those experiences. Granted, part of this may be the fact that those games were basically my introduction to the CRPG genre as well - a pretty high standard to start at.

I've played lots of good rpgs since, but there's always something missing. FO1 and FO2 felt like full packages to me... with every element working together to produce something great. Even the often derided aspects, like the combat, were part of the fun for me. FO1/2 combat is definitely heavily flawed, but it is fun. But with my other attempts to find "great" rpgs, something falls flat. Planescape? LOVE the concepts, the philosophy, much of the writing and the art design, but not crazy about the execution and thus I don't love it as an actual GAME. Arcanum? I've had a lot of fun with it, but by midgame it's a chore to keep going for me. Baldur's Gate 2? Ehh, I don't like RTwP and it's hard for me to get into generic fantasy settings. Maybe I just need to try Alpha Protocol eh? :)

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
it's been nothing but :decline: since zork :smug:

pedit5 or go home.

Hipster level:

LCmC1Fv.jpg

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I'll second FO:NV for the staggering re-playability. At the same time the only other RPG I thought was great or found inspiring by was probably Anachronox. Probably because I only played it recently.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
I'll second FO:NV for the staggering re-playability. At the same time the only other RPG I thought was great or found inspiring by was probably Anachronox. Probably because I only played it recently.

How good exactly is Anachronox? It was made by Ion Storm, so it can't be bad, right?

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut

How good exactly is Anachronox? It was made by Ion Storm, so it can't be bad, right?

It's more Japanese RPG with your folks on one side, the enemies on the other - something I usually hate. However, it has a lot going for it:

* the NPC's are (for the most part) unique and developed

* the dialog is very good

* it is one of the few games that involves a sullen/depressed main character but doesn't make the guy a caricature

* Nice main story but lots of side quests that don't all feel like side quests.

* Unique locations, space theme, still playable on modern systems, goofy aracade-y elements that you can bypass entirely, combat that is (usually) challenging

* Nope, it’s not a traditional RPG where you roll up a character/party: It’s no Bard’s Tale. At the same time it has a lot to do, each NPC has a different fight style so party balance comes into play.

I’m not a huge storyfag, but for this and The Witcher 1, I’ll make an exception. Also, it only cost me $2 on GoG. Ion Storm did a great job on it, but there are whole other stories on problems with release and such. A unique experience.

Archibald

Arcane

I think its for people who are too edgy to play actual jrpgs.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut

I think its for people who are too edgy to play actual jrpgs.
I'll be the first to admit, Anachronox was no Final Fantasy XIII...

Mech

Cipher

Gameplay gets tedious as shit. Good story, writing, etc, isn't enough to save it from the inane combat.

Fairfax

Arcane
Great? Fallout New Vegas. The best RPG I've played ever since was Expeditions: Conquistador, even though it wasn't great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom