Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What would be the reaction to female protagonists from earlier eras in gaming today?

Trotsky

Arcane
Jill-jill-valentine-15844172-1024-768.jpg

pdxbla01_1680x1050.jpg

Neanderthal

Arcane
Bit fucking tame mate, remember Maria Whitaker on cover o Barbarian that old swordfighting game? Right wank fodder that.

As to how birds are recieved, folk like to see pretty folk in advertising, don't want ugly bastards and swamp donkeys cos they won't sell fuck all and you see em everyday.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I think there are still lots of female characters in current games, which are what the average feminist calls "sexualized". Some designs, like the chain-mail bikini are probably a bit old-fashioned, but especially if you include Japan, it's not like sexy characters are gone missing.

What's missing outside of Japan are the more juvenile (and funny) ideas like this:

6a9dOtd.jpg

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
d765a069320a1fc0a099fde00fab5773.jpg

Back then: "Oh cool, the badass protagonist we played in this game was a woman, that's pretty awesome."
Today: "WHY IS SHE WEARING A BIKINI NOW WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS PANDERING TO MALE GAZE OH MY GOD I AM SO TRIGGERED MALE WISH FULFILMENT"

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Reading up on it, the original uncensored art is by Royo, but Frey updated the image, effectively censoring it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
001.jpg

Good cover. :P

The reaction towards that woman was quite negative at the time, though.

Everyone expected her to be in the game but then she wasn't. Not even as some kind of ingame artwork. Nothing at all. You couldn't even pick something close to her as your own char's looks, and there was no equipment that looked like that. Everyone asked, "where the fuck is the girl on the cover?"

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
z9NUJio.jpg

I2SKipq.jpg

6RJI5OA.jpg

JNirP5f.jpg

ogbcMuU.jpg

Long time ago companies actually put an effort to promote their female characters, something that would get them flak today unless they looked like purple haired men with boobs.

maxresdefault.jpg

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Final Fight 3's Lucia would likely generate butthurt as well, especially given that she's a policewoman.

ff3_full_body_Lucia.jpg

objetosfinalfight3_jpg_w_480_h_300.jpg

(She should definitely be added to a Street Fighter game)

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
1986's Legendary Wings

latest_cb_20090201060539.png

That the dude is also scantily clad wouldn't stop socjus bitching, i've seen them hamster things like this by saying something along the lines of "the man is something for the male player to look up to and aspire, while the female is just a sex object, bla bla".

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
d765a069320a1fc0a099fde00fab5773.jpg

Back then: "Oh cool, the badass protagonist we played in this game was a woman, that's pretty awesome."
Today: "WHY IS SHE WEARING A BIKINI NOW WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS PANDERING TO MALE GAZE OH MY GOD I AM SO TRIGGERED MALE WISH FULFILMENT"
Also today: "Holy fuck what is this SJW garbage perfect mary sue character with no flaws all the men are fat gross monsters this is such bullshit!"

I seriously don't see why anyone has ever given a fuck either way. Boggles my mind. Video game characters bear about as much resemblance to real men or women as they do to squid or elm trees.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom