Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Whats a good strategy game with heavy rpg elements?

valcik

Arcane
Original War (Altar Interactive, 2001)
RTS, sci-fi, not so heavy RPG elements perhaps, good music and graphics tho

Knights of the Cross (FreeMind, 2002)
turn-based, medieval, decent enough campaign and two sides to choose from

edit:
Also free bonus, Alien Assault: http://www.teardown.se/

rezaf

Cipher
I recently just played (...) UFO Extraterrestrials (which for some reason gets no attention event though the gold version is pretty fucking awesome. I bought it from the dev when it first came out and didn't understand why it didn't get more love. All the RTS UFO games got a ton of attention and had very little going for them compared to this game).

The thing with UFOEX is that it's a poor man's X-Com. It re-implemented the base game with each single feature being somehow worse than that of the original. It also didn't look great and was kinda rough all around.
Mods improved on it, but even then, it was a mediocre game fit only for people starving for an X-Com light.

Miner 2049er

Scholar
- Disciples 2 (not unlike Heroes Of M&M, but instead of having 100s of units, you just upgrade your party leader and his accompanying max 5 additional units; you unlock unit upgrades via a buildings skill tree in your capital and it features an unmatched gorgeously dark art style)

- Silent Storm engine games (think a weaker Jagged Alliance in 3D, but still lots of fun to be had)
- Fallen Enchantress (Legendary Heroes) (a decent fantasy 4x)
- Age Of Wonders 3 probably has the best combat of all modern 4x games and rich character building options.

Right now, I'm having fun with the new Warhammer game Sanctus Reach. Very light RPG elements, but the turn based combat is enough to keep me coming back.

UFO: AfterXs are obsolete. XCom in real time. That's like Dungeons And Dragons in real time. Who in his right state of mind would program or play such an ill fated travesty ?

And...if you're brave enough you could also step into the world of japanese Strategy RPGs like Final Fantasy Tactics (amazing character building), Front Mission series or Disgea (yeah...well...maybe not).

Miner 2049er

Scholar
So it's noobish to have taste ? I own and have played those. They stink. Cluster combat of the worst kind. Is there really a difference that makes AL worth playing and AS not ? With ET and the 2 Firaxis Xcoms nobody needs them anymore.

rezaf

Cipher
Restart UFO ET. This time with Grayfiend 3.5.

I'm not sure if this was aimed at me, but if it was - the mod page sounds impressive - the only extensive mod I remember was BMan's - but I kinda doubt it'll cure the game's low production values across the board.
If I were to score big in the time-lottery I'd totally be inclined to try it, though.

As for the AfterX games, they're just made for a different audience. Some people can't stand TB - why not let them have their X-Com like as well? I finished them once and don't plan on revisiting them ever, but I think they're ok in their own way.

whatevername

Arcane
- Age Of Wonders 3 probably has the best combat of all modern 4x games and rich character building options.
Dear Sir/Madam,
I would like to inform you that due to your choice of recommended games I am putting you on ignore because of your most severe case of ultimate retardation or being a plant.

laclongquan

Arcane
Yo biatches~ I will tell you that Afterlight is both a tactical and a strategy game.

- Strategy is pretty obvious because you choose which direction to expand, which faction to war, so on and so forth.
- Tactic is harder to play, mostly because people just doesnt play at harder difficulty, so they complain that easier combat is bad and no tactic needed. Well duh~

Set combat difficulty at highest level so you can enjoy the challenge and thus force you to play the way you need to play, ie tactical. Set production at highest level so you barely produce any weapon of note and have to scavenge the battlefield to have weapons to fight.

Example of tactics? Well, whenever you getinto a battlefield, you have to consider the terrain. Thankfully the maps are limited in number so you can remember them well. IT's needed because the enemy can be pretty varied, and each type can dictate the tactic you need. If it's the hulking mechas and spiders, you are going to set TNT on their path, block them at bottleneck, and fight them as economical as possible because there's no loot, ie straight consumption of ammo for no return. If it's the plentiful beastmen, then you can expect good loots. Watch where you place TNT and/or throw explosives, because explosions will damage the loot fallen on the grounds. Also they hunt by smell so early game you can just expect them to make a beeline toward your location. If you get attacked in all sides you are screwed. If it's the ETs, be very careful with their mind attacks or you will get controlled, meaning hiding behind obstacles wont work. And those fuckers are seriously trigger happy with their rocket launchers which mean you will want to kill them sight unseen or they will blow you skyhigh. If it's the Martian their armor are bad news. Etc and etc... You got five group of different characteristics and they will screw you up ifyou use the wrong tactic.

Example, you can attack and lure robots one by one, group by group. But if you try that shit with Beastman they pull the whole map on your location, because they can smell you which you cant block in early game. Ditto with the ET because they track by mind. Martian shoot you with their overwhelming guns, so it's recommended to kill them as fast as possible.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dear Sir/Madam,
I would like to inform you that due to your choice of recommended games I am putting you on ignore because of your most severe case of ultimate retardation or being a plant.
I agree about FE, but what makes AoE3 so bad for you?
I haven't played it much, but I really liked its ancestors, so I am curious about why you'd automatically put someone who liked it in your ignore list (and if we are to compare it to modern 4X, which one would make the cut for you?).

rado907

Savant
I want to mention Wesnoth, even though it's more tactical than strategic, and the RPG is light.
Sweet game tho. Now greenlit on Steam. (After 15 years as freeware.)

Miner 2049er

Scholar
Dear whatevername,
I sincerely thank you for reminding me to keep from posting in social networks. Too many ass cunts are roaming free. You should stop posting too, because the quality of your contributions is not worth sacrifing your parrots count for.

ClaviculaZ

Novice
In what way? I liked the second one, but found it a bit shallow, albeit somewhat deep in a simplistic way when played on higher difficulty levels. The first one basically seemed like an even simpler game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom