Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Whats Deus Ex about?

v1rus

Arcane
I just finished the game, and, well, I'm utterly impressed.

I'm pretty sure we can all agree its an utterly terrific game, yet, one question still begs for an answer - whats the game about? Whats the game trying to say?

Cmon gayiz, gieb your in-depth Day of Sex analysis,
disguise!

v1rus

Arcane
Deus Ex is about overdosing on red pills

While this is both pretty funny and true - it actually covers just one of the games many layers - the game regularly deals with the question of God/divinity, an individual vs a society conflict, etc.

Last edited:

WhiteGuts

Arcane
The game isn't about anything specific. As the devs said themselves, it's a patchwork of the most prominent conspiracy theories at the time. It just so happens that the way events unfolded since then has shown there was more than just "conspiracy" in those stories.

Black

Arcane
Dude sex.

watch

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sheldon Pacotti's meditation on the role of government in the postmodern era, layered on top of a 1990s conspiracy pastiche.

Ash

Arcane
I just finished the game, and, well, I'm utterly impressed

Well? Did you play with the GMDX mod or not?

As for what it's all about, it's the expression of an old man coming of age, making a statement about how videogames need to be more mass market, accessible and inclusive, and only then will they be taken seriously as an art form. Themes addressing inclusiveness of the opposite gender and the glorious rise of feminism, so that the men of the office can win brownie points with the women of the office in the hopes of worming their way into their pants. How times change and society and culture doesn't decline, we just don't understand why everything is dumb, rehashed, exploitative and that it has nothing to do with corporate money-making interests...and most importantly, it's about emergent gameplay (THE CORE OF THE EXPERIENCE!) such as the most notable feature in Deus Ex: LAM climbing.

v1rus

Arcane
I just finished the game, and, well, I'm utterly impressed

Well? Did you play with the GMDX mod or not?

As for what it's all about, it's the expression of an old man coming of age, making a statement about how videogames need to be more mass market, accessible and inclusive, and only then will they be taken seriously as an art form. Themes addressing inclusiveness of the opposite gender and the glorious rise of feminism, so that the men of the office can win brownie points with the women of the office in the hopes of worming their way into their pants. How times change and society and culture doesn't decline, we just don't understand why everything is dumb, rehashed, exploitative and that it has nothing to do with corporate money-making interests...and most importantly, it's about emergent gameplay (THE CORE OF THE EXPERIENCE!) such as the most notable feature in Deus Ex: LAM climbing.

Played it clean - decided it was best if my first playthrough was vanilla. Nex time, it gunna be GMDX

Zer0wing

Cipher
It's about memeing conspiracy theories into real deal. Looking at society now... It did a fairly good job.

Zer0wing

Cipher
What a solid grasp of Deus Ex.
:incloosive:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Deus Ex is the best first person game ever made. This is not up for debate.
That's a funny way to spell "Doom".

The original Thiefs and both Shock games are all better Immersive Sims™ than Deus Ex IMO.
What the hell kind of criterion is "first person game" anyway?

Might as well judge stuff as best pixel art game.

Anyway, deus ex is about giving food to little kids so they'll tell you the secret entrance to terrorist hideouts.

I'm pretty sure we can all agree its an utterly terrific game, yet, one question still begs for an answer - whats the game about? Whats the game trying to say?
It's trying to open your mind to consider new philosophies and means of government. Clearly it failed.

sser

Arcane
Developer
It's about having the flashlight bound to F12 and discovering Steam took nearly a hundred pictures from you hitting it on and off again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom