Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
A mage sure needs to know his armor value.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Only if you're one of the baddies like Scrooge who plays WoW for PvP instead of playing a REAL (wo)man's game like Dark Souls.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's a funny video but mostly for effect. Battlegrounds killed world PvP long before garrisons arrived in WoD.

hivemind

Obviously the video is meant with humour in mind but I don't think it's BGs that killed wPvP tbh.

I think it was:

Phasing + flying mounts discourage it heavily > Honour system revamp removed much of the incentive for killing people out in the open between BG queues > Removal of non-instanced end game open world content that the players can fight over(you can see in the video that the huge Raid vs Raid battle isn't just for the hell of it but because both factions are trying to kill the Hinterlands dragon)

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Obviously the video is meant with humour in mind but I don't think it's BGs that killed wPvP tbh.

I think it was:

Phasing + flying mounts discourage it heavily > Honour system revamp removed much of the incentive for killing people out in the open between BG queues > Removal of non-instanced end game open world content that the players can fight over(you can see in the video that the huge Raid vs Raid battle isn't just for the hell of it but because both factions are trying to kill the Hinterlands dragon)

Phasing didn't come in until WotLK and flying mounts in BC. World pvp died during vanilla well before either expansion launched. You might have seen it now and again, but it wasn't a normal occurrence anymore.

EDIT: I forgot to mention. It was a combination of BGs and dishonourable kills.

Caim

Arcane
Last time I had some PvP in th world itself and not near some hub I was doing the quest line to get that orc who builds you a shipyard. I got jumped by a Horde warrior who shaved off a fair deal of health before I managed to fight back and he killed me.

When I respawned I went on with my questing and saw that very same guy run around with half health so I got back at him. Just in time too, lest we had to compete for that pseudo-boss you get a quest drop from.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I logged on to my old server Nordassil-US and noticed there were not many players around so I did a /who of every class to find the total realm pop. Mind you this is alliance side alone.

This is staggering since I would not even play on one of the free servers with this low of population, and im sure my server isint the lowest pop server around either. <snipped>

Hunter-42
Rogue-8
Warrior-18
Priest-16
warlock-21
Death Knight-19
Druid-18
Shaman-12
Monk-14
Paladin-23
Mage-15

Total Players Online 206

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's true. There are a ton of virtually dead servers in WoW. There would be even more if they hadn't started those 'server merges' a several years ago.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert

I think it was:

Phasing didn't come in until WotLK and flying mounts in BC. World pvp died during vanilla well before either expansion launched. You might have seen it now and again, but it wasn't a normal occurrence anymore.

World PvP still happened after DHKs and BGs came. Sure, the people grinding R12-14 had no time for anything else but non-stop BGs but if server population was imbalanced, the bigger side had to get extra HKs somehow and that was ganking people in the 50+ zones until their queue popped. Plus there were guilds or at least groups of people who were in it for organized world pvp, raiding capitals and so on. Obviously server population played an important part. Then came flying mounts and now the accidental world pvp lessened even further because 70s just flew everywhere in Outlands and only PvP skirmishes happened around nodes being farmed and occasionally over the buffs that a zone control would gve - plus there was no capitals to raid in Outlands. I stopped playing at that time so I don't know whether phasing or what was the final killing blow. Most likely it was a combination of things:

1. Lack of open world PvP objectives
2. Flying mounts
3. Battlegrounds and DHK
4. Phasing (was this Wrath or Cata?)
5. Cross-realm stuff
6. And before garrisons, the final deathblow was probably LFD and when it became possibly to level from 15 to cap purely through instances.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

I think it was:

World PvP still happened after DHKs and BGs came. Sure, the people grinding R12-14 had no time for anything else but non-stop BGs but if server population was imbalanced, the bigger side had to get extra HKs somehow and that was ganking people in the 50+ zones until their queue popped. Plus there were guilds or at least groups of people who were in it for organized world pvp, raiding capitals and so on. Obviously server population played an important part. Then came flying mounts and now the accidental world pvp lessened even further because 70s just flew everywhere in Outlands and only PvP skirmishes happened around nodes being farmed and occasionally over the buffs that a zone control would gve - plus there was no capitals to raid in Outlands. I stopped playing at that time so I don't know whether phasing or what was the final killing blow. Most likely it was a combination of things:

1. Lack of open world PvP objectives
2. Flying mounts
3. Battlegrounds and DHK
4. Phasing (was this Wrath or Cata?)
5. Cross-realm stuff
6. And before garrisons, the final deathblow was probably LFD and when it became possibly to level from 15 to cap purely through instances.

Depends on your server, maybe. But my server and those of some friends who played on other servers tended to be dead well before the end of vanilla. You might see the occasional guild event or run into whoever while questing, but that's about it. The large scale and more frequent events were done with. I mean, you could probably find world pvp even now if you count jumping some guy questing. *shrugs*

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
It's true. There are a ton of virtually dead servers in WoW. There would be even more if they hadn't started those 'server merges' a several years ago.

It's actually hilarious how they've been avoiding straight up server merges, probably out of fear it'll bring them bad PR. Is there anything that's not cross-realm these days now that there are connected realms everywhere?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
From what I remember on retail vanilla, even after battlegrounds there were still pretty frequent PVP skirmishes in areas like southshore/tarren mill and STV, outside MC or BWL, and occasionally in other areas - I can remember walking into a massive battle in Ashenvale once, or one time a bunch of horde 60s took over the boat between wetlands and theramore, or a few coordinated raids on xroads, for example. There was considerably less in TBC.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
World PvP was mostly a function of very little to do outside of raids and dungeons. Give people Battlegrounds and that's something to do. Give people daily quests and that's something to do. Give people more reputations to grind and that's something to do. Give people flying mounts and they bypass most everyone else in the game world. But, yeah, World PvP was certainly dead before Wrath.

The 'events' they made to try to spur it flopped. Anyone remember the towers in Eastern Plaguelands or lol sand in Silithus? No one did those because there were no rewards. Hardly anyone did the zone PvP objectives in TBC.

Cromwell

Arcane
World PvP was mostly a function of very little to do outside of raids and dungeons. Give people Battlegrounds and that's something to do. Give people daily quests and that's something to do. Give people more reputations to grind and that's something to do. Give people flying mounts and they bypass most everyone else in the game world. But, yeah, World PvP was certainly dead before Wrath.

The 'events' they made to try to spur it flopped. Anyone remember the towers in Eastern Plaguelands or lol sand in Silithus? No one did those because there were no rewards. Hardly anyone did the zone PvP objectives in TBC.

Enable other players to kill them while they do stuff and you have world pvp. Make everything doable in the safety of an instance and you kill it. You could for eample grind rep in instances in lichking if I remember correctly.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Enable other players to kill them while they do stuff and you have world pvp.
You have this -- it's called questing. The World PvP is still limited. A few months ago I leveled some character on a PvP server for laughs. It seemed to be Alliance dominated. In Spire of Arak there was a lone blood elf sitting afk on the road. No one attacked her. Dozens of alliance players went by in what was probably a 20 or so minute span just ignoring her.

The death of world PvP is more a factor of people wanting to do others things. If people want to PvP, they'll do a BG or an Arena. Yeah you have some minor action around daily quest hubs but nothing like it was in early vanilla. Most WoW players today want some return on their 'time investment.' World PvP yields nothing (but fun?!).

Anyway, the upshot is this is nothing that was killed by any expansion, it's something that started in vanilla. The rewards in WoW are not structured around world pvp or anything outside of grinding be it battlegrounds or instances. Of course shit like phasing, server-merging, etc. also ruined the sense of community and that was a big part of it, too.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I had two characters on Nostalrius. Didn't get far with either but i did put one through Stranglethorn Vale and the other through Ashenvale and i had an absolute blast. Both of those areas were a total carnage, especially the Vale, but i loved every minute of it. And the funny thing is that most of the people there didn't want to do PvP, they just had no choice. And that's what world PvP is all about, at least for me. If you are going to relegate all PvP to BGs and stuff like that you might as well remove PvP servers to begin with.

Caim

Arcane
Enable other players to kill them while they do stuff and you have world pvp. Make everything doable in the safety of an instance and you kill it. You could for eample grind rep in instances in lichking if I remember correctly.
Argent Crusade, Kirin Tor, Knights of the Ebon Blade and Wyrmrest Accord rep can all be farmed in level 80 instances by equipping the right tabard, or if you do not do that you grind for all four Alliance Expedition/Horde Vanguard factions at once. Ashen Verdict you grind in Icecrown Citadel, with the only four remaining ones being dailies.

That's a lot of grinding alright.

zeitgeist

Magister
Nethaera said:
We wanted to let you know that we’ve been closely following the Nostalrius discussion and we appreciate your constructive thoughts and suggestions.

Our silence on this subject definitely doesn’t reflect our level of engagement and passion around this topic. We hear you. Many of us across Blizzard and the WoW Dev team have been passionate players ever since classic WoW. In fact, I personally work at Blizzard because of my love for classic WoW.

We have been discussing classic servers for years - it’s a topic every BlizzCon - and especially over the past few weeks. From active internal team discussions to after-hours meetings with leadership, this subject has been highly debated. Some of our current thoughts:
Why not just let Nostalrius continue the way it was? The honest answer is, failure to protect against intellectual property infringement would damage Blizzard’s rights. This applies to anything that uses WoW’s IP, including unofficial servers. And while we’ve looked into the possibility – there is not a clear legal path to protect Blizzard’s IP and grant an operating license to a pirate server.
We explored options for developing classic servers and none could be executed without great difficulty. If we could push a button and all of this would be created, we would. However, there are tremendous operational challenges to integrating classic servers, not to mention the ongoing support of multiple live versions for every aspect of WoW.

So what can we do to capture that nostalgia of when WoW first launched? Over the years we have talked about a “pristine realm”. In essence that would turn off all leveling acceleration including character transfers, heirloom gear, character boosts, Recruit-A-Friend bonuses, WoW Token, and access to cross realm zones, as well as group finder. We aren’t sure whether this version of a clean slate is something that would appeal to the community and it’s still an open topic of discussion.

One other note - we’ve recently been in contact with some of the folks who operated Nostalrius. They obviously care deeply about the game, and we look forward to more conversations with them in the coming weeks.

You, the Blizzard community, are the most dedicated, passionate players out there. We thank you for your constructive thoughts and suggestions. We are listening.
J. Allen Brack

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/20743584206?page=1#1

No comment.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'd play on a pristine realm. LFG/LFR is a big part of what's killing my enjoyment of the game, besides the shit content.

Cromwell

Arcane
Tremendous operational challenges = we can't be bothered if it costs us money.

I dont even know how he managed to post that knowing that he works for a very big company and telling his userbase "we are unable to do what some mongos did with their freetime in their basements, lol"

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Pristine Realms sound... not too great. Cataclysm leveling content is not my cup of tea (admittedly vanilla leveling was grindy tho) and ultimately what use does it have? Sure, disabling the LFG stuff is a start but it sounds like we would still be playing current wow - which is... not what ppl asking for classic servers want.

Just hire the nostalrius crew and give us classic servers :3

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom