Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I switched from Destruction to Demonology, and the difference in complexity is huge in my opinion. Thakiel's Consumption, demonic empowerment, etc definitely keeps me on my toes. Thakiel's Consumption can hit like a truck, but a one second delay can ruin it.

I do not know how anyone can play it effectively without weak auras.

Is WeakAuras helpful addon for Monks? I've heard alot of people using it, but never had a chance to try it myself. What does it do?
Weakauras allow you to set indicators/timers in a number of interesting ways, whether that be a multiple timer bars, floating spell icons, or sounds/alarms when spells come off a cooldown. Setting up the auras can be complicated, but you can import pre-set auras via copy&paste ( I pasted a URL on monks for you).

I do not know much about monks, but I think weak auras is immensely useful for any class. For example, on my Holy Paladin, I have sounds that trigger when Holy Shock, Beacon of Virtue, Blessing of Faith, and Judgment come off cooldown. It helps me use my cooldowns consistently. I have pasted a URL with monk weak auras. If you still have issues or do not know what to do with it, PM me and I will help you out. Here is the website: https://notsthoughts.com/2016/08/23/monk-weak-auras/

For now, I have ditched my warlock for a Holy Paladin (better server, more fun in my opinion). I am tempted to start leveling another class soon, but I am holding off till the newest PTR finishes.

Puukko

Arcane
Now that's what I call smooth. Maw+7 with a boost group in 11:07, timer for 3 chests was 14:24. I was third in dps at 430k, the boosters had 545k. It was one of those "pull all the trash before the first boss" groups.

Now to see if I can find a boost group masochistic enough to do NL+10 with teeming, skittish and fortified. Tons of tough trash that won't hold aggro, what could possibly go wrong?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So...

I have been playing WoW for like, 40 hours. I am really taking it slow, like for every game I play. I'm human, level 35, warlock.

And I'm afraid there is something I don't get in this game. I clearly am not playing it properly because while the mechanic I'm experiencing is very addictive, I don't think I'm having a fun time at all.

All I have been doing so far is going from an exclamation point to another, spamming the Drain Soul spell which makes me absolutely invulnerable. I have never, ever, healed myself. Drain life is making me regenerate faster than the enemies can harm me. I was expecting the game to get tougher, to force me to learn new abilities, but I frankly don't even care at all to check if I can improve my equipment, or even to bother looking into the spells I have to see if I have something more powerful. Following the game flow, nothing is a threat to me. The entire game so far has been moving from zones to zones, following quests that involve for most of them killing 10 things, killing said 10 things by standing in front of these and just pressing 1, getting the XP, and moving to another zone.

It's simple. It's brainless, and it works if I'm on the laptop watching TV drinking beer, but I don't feel like I'm achieving anything.

What the hell am I missing ?

Some people suggested to bother checking the other spells, so that "I can kill enemy faster", but why ? So I can move to the next enemy even faster ? What is the point ? I'm doing progress without even being in danger, that's another form of playing properly, I guess.

Puukko

Arcane
Welcome to MMOs. That's the standard leveling experience most would rather skip since they've seen it all before. There was a time when it might've posed a challenge, but most people don't really care since like I said, they'd rather skip it or at the very least shorten it with extra xp from heirlooms. They revamped all of vanilla in Cataclysm including the quests you're doing, and it gets more monotonous for the TBC-Cata zones (60-85) then improves slightly for MoP (85-90) and is at its best in WoD (90-100) which was the worst expansion to date otherwise. Legion leveling (100-110) is not quite as fun as WoD but then again WoD was when I returned after a long break so it was all new and fresh for me again.

I can definitely understand why you might not be impressed by the leveling experience because it really is standard MMO fare and there's only so much that can be done to improve it. The game starts at 110 and so far I've been reasonably pleased by what Legion has to offer and have no plans of ending my subscription. Also note that you can make use of the dungeon finder alongside questing to do dungeons and get xp that way.

Sentinel

Arcane
So...

I have been playing WoW for like, 40 hours. I am really taking it slow, like for every game I play. I'm human, level 35, warlock.

And I'm afraid there is something I don't get in this game. I clearly am not playing it properly because while the mechanic I'm experiencing is very addictive, I don't think I'm having a fun time at all.

All I have been doing so far is going from an exclamation point to another, spamming the Drain Soul spell which makes me absolutely invulnerable. I have never, ever, healed myself. Drain life is making me regenerate faster than the enemies can harm me. I was expecting the game to get tougher, to force me to learn new abilities, but I frankly don't even care at all to check if I can improve my equipment, or even to bother looking into the spells I have to see if I have something more powerful. Following the game flow, nothing is a threat to me. The entire game so far has been moving from zones to zones, following quests that involve for most of them killing 10 things, killing said 10 things by standing in front of these and just pressing 1, getting the XP, and moving to another zone.

It's simple. It's brainless, and it works if I'm on the laptop watching TV drinking beer, but I don't feel like I'm achieving anything.

What the hell am I missing ?

Some people suggested to bother checking the other spells, so that "I can kill enemy faster", but why ? So I can move to the next enemy even faster ? What is the point ? I'm doing progress without even being in danger, that's another form of playing properly, I guess.
As others have said, levelling is in its worse state. The game starts at Lv100~110 (which is Legion content). Unfortunately every time an expansion releases, new players who may want to start playing WoW get fucked in the ass because the levelling experience is so off-putting.
For me it kind of helped when I read the quests and follow each area's quest line and learn the little stories within themselves.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
So...playing WoW for like, 40 hours. ---- I'm human, level 35, warlock.

Wait what? I mean I understand taking it slowly, doing zones fully etc. But 40 fucking hours to reach 35? Does that include 20 hours you've afked in main cities?

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Everytime blizzard releases an expansion, leveling gets screwed up. Taxalot, my suggestion is to keep dungeon queue on at all times while leveling. You will get better gear, and hopefully faster xp gain.

I am currently gearing my paladin, but I also took the time to create a Demon Hunter. I am surprised by how much I enjoy it so far. Moreover, I think the models are really damn good, with scars, tattoos, horns, etc. I plan to make it a gathering alt to feed my other character's professions.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Wait what? I mean I understand taking it slowly, doing zones fully etc. But 40 fucking hours to reach 35? Does that include 20 hours you've afked in main cities?

Probably a fair bit of the time was being AFK, also I spent a lot of time traveling because walking around is actually the most fun I have had so far in this fucking game.

Revenant

Until you reach maximum level (110 at the moment), you have no idea what the actual gameplay looks like.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Dumbfuck
took me less than a day to get max level in pandaria from lvl 1. did it in a internet cafe over a weekend. kicked over my chair, unplugged the keyboard, carried it outside, and screamed into the parking lot of a mall
YYRRREEEAAGAAAMOOOLLLLlll
cathartic as fuck

what expansion is this

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
More evidence that Blizzard is a piece of shit company:

https://twitter.com/WarcraftDevs/status/799718936031870977
We'll be removing the AP earned from those who excessively abused this exploit.

There were quests that rewarded AP which would reset when you logged out of the game. Naturally, many many people ran the quest, logged out and back in, and reran the quest ad-infinitum for massive AP gains.

How does Blizzard respond? 1-2 DAY BANS on all accounts that did this along with rolling back the AP gained.

So the logic is the following:

1) Blizz releases buggy piece of shit skinner-box game
2) Players find most time-effective way to bypass some of the skinner-box
3) Blizz labels these methods as "exploits" and BANS tens of thousands of accounts, and rolls back their characters effectively wasting hours of their time

This is far from the first time Blizzard has pulled this shit and it's the main reason why I CANNOT enjoy their games. They HATE emergent gameplay. They HATE players who think outside the box. They actively work against creativity and critical thinking. They fuck up their coding and game design, and then blame and PUNISH the PLAYERS for taking advantage of their shit design. This happens time and time again.

How is a player supposed to differentiate between a bug and something that is working as intended? Most recent example is that during the Pre-Legion invasions, millions of people were running the first 2 stages of invasions on low level alts then relogging to reset the invasions and run the first 2 stages over and over for insane XP gains. Was that an exploit? No fucking way to tell until Blizzard decides to ban and roll back every account that participated.

It's one thing to patch something they consider to be an exploit out of the game but it's entirely different to punish the playerbase for taking advantage of their fuck-ups by BANNING them for days and rolling back all progress.

This all makes Blizzard's design philosophy crystal clear. They want you to progress through the game a certain way and if you don't conform, you're banned. Ideally, they would be able to dictate exactly what everybody does in the game down to the second. The ULTIMATE railroaded skinner-box experience. Nothing unexpected will ever happen. No emergent gameplay, no anything that makes a multiplayer experience fun.

Queue for your dungeon, stomp through it, use your four abilities in this exact order, and repeat.

yeye

Augur
The rollback's happening because people who didn't exploit were pissed they missed out on literally millions of AP. Blizz response at first was just the bans.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
The bans were uncalled for. There's no way to tell that something's an exploit until blizzard addresses it.

Anyway I was just explaining why blizzard games are designed for people who want to run on a hamster wheel and not for people who want a creative multiplayer experience with emergent gameplay.

Direwolf

Arcane
Bullshit. It is always very fucking obvious when something is a fucking exploit. Always.
They abused it, they got caught, they get a ban. Fuck them all.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Jesus Christ WoW fanboys are at least 2 standard deviations below the average IQ. I very clearly explained how the Pre-Legion invasions were exploited for massive XP gains IN THE EXACT SAME WAY AS THESE WQS and Blizz did nothing about it but I guess that flew right over your dumb heads.

Here's an example: CCP (makers of Eve Online) would NEVER punish anyone in a situation similar to this; where the player takes advantage of the game's systems for some sort of gain. They also encourage emergent game play rather than doing everything in their power to stomp it out.

Of course, WoW is much more popular because it appeals to the lowest common denominator. They'll ban anyone that thinks outside the box to get some sort of advantage because the retarded playerbase wouldn't be able to compete otherwise. And that's why Blizz games (besides starcraft) suck. Just do whatever DBM tells you and follow your quest compass. Keep the skill ceiling low.

I'm trying to keep these posts short because you guys have the memory of a peanut and can't follow a logical progression that's longer than a sentence. No wonder the rest of RPGCodex looks down on this thread.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Sorry my niggas but Dawkins is spot-on here. AP is a typical MMO grind and MMO grinds are tedious bullshit and you're not blaspheming the MMO gods by figuring out some clever way to bypass them. It's mostly Blizzard's fault for having such poor QA despite being richer than God. Also spot-on with the Blizzard hating "emergent gameplay", their shit-tastic "you will play the game the way we intend for you to" attitude is a massive component to some of the most retarded decision's they've made. (Dishonorable Kills killing off unscripted world PvP in a way that it never recovered from despite Blizzard's lame attempts at things like Silithyst sandlol pvp and BC's periodic world events springs to my mind before anything else.)

Wulfstand

Prophet
Yeah I agree for the most part with the skinner-box claims. I feel like even Vanilla's design felt like less of a skinner box, or rather it wasn't as in your face as Legions'. I also don't get how the itemization feels almost just as bad/unrewarding, I really hope they'll manage to fix it in 7.1.5.

Which reminds me, what are your thoughts on the reworks they're planning? Having a MM Hunter, I definitely hope they'll rework many of their decisions from the ptr, and really don't get why they're pulling the nerf-bat on entire specs, not just talents.

I also don't get how they're adding in new legendaries that have such huge QoL perks, when chances are you won't be ever touching them. Even a bullshit 'Complete each of the instances from Keystone 1 to 10' questline would've worked as a better mechanic/incentive for players to get (a hand-picked) Legendary as a reward.

For me, grinding AP only ever feels rewarding when I'm right behind one of the golden traits, otherwise it feels like a chore. Iirc, the whole AP grinding system was meant to take you most of the expansion to complete, and of course it gets easier as the months go by with AK, but it still doesn't feel.

Anyways where's the Codex group at? Haven't joined a guild yet, and I really wanna do the new Kharazan. So far there's only me and Revenant. My battletag's Samson#2837, feel free to add me.

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
I started a Demon Hunter, because I needed a gathering alt to feed the professions on my paladin. So far, I am pleasantly surprised, as I thought the spec would be a giant gimmick. It is like a weird mix of death knight self-healing in wotlk, warrior jumping, and warlock aesthetics. Compared to other classes, I think it is simple, but you can pull nice tricks with the cooldowns and mobility. At the same time, I am annoyed over how easy it is to pull high damage relative to warlock.

Probably a fair bit of the time was being AFK, also I spent a lot of time traveling because walking around is actually the most fun I have had so far in this fucking game.
When I first started WoW, I did the same thing. I just explored without thought to the leveling/loot race. WoW does have some great zones, and I will remember how great the skyline was in Hellfire Peninsula.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Maybe he's not doing dungeons?
Not that I've compared the two but questing is insanely fast these days. Every new expansion they nerf the curve. Even levels 100-110 take no more than two or so hours a level.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom