Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

Xenich

Cipher
60 fucking dollars?!? Its almost like Blizzard made levelling as boring as humanly possible in preparation for this.

That is the point of RMT, design content to drive people to the store. Every game that implements stores and FTP models do this on purpose.

Sounds amusing that someone would defend the company thats selling for nothing stuff that theyve worked long hours to achieve, sounds funny that people are paying not to play. Or to skip the worst part of the game, and if it is the worst part of the game why is it even there.

etc, etc, etc.

The whole concept of 'working' at playing a computer game (unpaid work at that) sounds amusing.

Lhynn

Arcane
Sounds amusing that someone would defend the company thats selling for nothing stuff that theyve worked long hours to achieve, sounds funny that people are paying not to play. Or to skip the worst part of the game, and if it is the worst part of the game why is it even there.
etc, etc, etc.
The whole concept of 'working' at playing a computer game (unpaid work at that) sounds amusing.
No it doesnt, the whole concept of not earning your victories in a game sounds amusing and like its missing the whole point, especially in an RPG.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
No, he's right -- you sound utterly retarded. But that's par for the course with 90% of your posts.

Lhynn

Arcane
Ah metro, nothing pleases me more than you disagreeing with me. Only thing that worries me is that there is a 10% of my posts that i need to rethink.

What sounds utterly retarded is the fact that leveling in this games is boring and pointless, ergo they give you a way to skip it. Working towards goals in an mmo is what the whole thing is about, seeing your efforts rewarded is what keeps you going.

What they should do is make working towards that goal an enjoyable thing, but i guess that concept escapes your inane mind.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
What sounds utterly retarded is the fact that leveling in this games is boring and pointless, ergo they give you a way to skip it. Working towards goals in an mmo is what the whole thing is about, seeing your efforts rewarded is what keeps you going.
It's boring and pointless because everyone has done it with at least half a dozen characters at this point. Again, I don't know what is there to be upset about, they already priced it high because they know few people will buy that service, keeping in mind that the next expansion is coming out this year and it raises the level cap to 100 (and also gives a free 90 boost to one character).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Making money is what the whole thing is about. And with features like this it won't be long before they offer a more expanded 'demo' or F2P version.

Lhynn

Arcane
Then overhaul it. Its not that hard, get rid of the shitty quests of gather 10 wolf pelt, swich up some of the more interesting quests and give them a bit of cc that has impact on newer systems that didnt exist at the time and are tangentially related to that quest line. Make it so that your alt has some impact on your main characters strenght/flexibility.

I remember city of heroes had a sweet mechanic that added tons to replayability, the exemplar system.

I know the content is massive by now, but instead of just making it worthless why not recycle it into something that can be enjoyable again? plus im pretty sure theyve got both the money and manpower to make it happen.

Plus the idea of working for your shit is central to mmos, it is stupid to try to divorce them from it because players are willing to invest different amounts of time and effort to play them and you need to reward them accordingly. Even if there are mechanics in place to lessen the difference.

And if you really think few people will buy it you are really understimating mmo players and microtransactions. Mmo players in subscription based mmos usually have a decent amount of disposable income.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
If they waste resources on leveling then you'll have a real shitstorm from the people who actually play the game. Blizzard already did that on cataclysm where they revamped the entire 1-60 world, nobody gives a fuck.

Lhynn

Arcane
If they waste resources on leveling then you'll have a real shitstorm from the people who actually play the game. Blizzard already did that on cataclysm where they revamped the entire world, nobody gives a fuck.
What you are saying is that level is meaningless anyway?

Lhynn

Arcane
there is no grind, there are no levels/there are tons of levels.

Angthoron

Arcane
Because you like grinding forever?
Lol, you mean doing endgame raids? What a twist.
It does have become sort of grindy with all the modes that force you to repeat the same content a bunch of times, but I stopped raiding at WotlK.
I still do raids, and yeah, still grindy as hell at certain points. Especially annoying as the current tier refuses to drop me a proper weapon, thus holding my DPS back by a very big margin. Bonus rolls? Well that's for gold!

Other than that, endgame is pretty much all grind. Casual players grind dungeons and LFR, hardcore players grind normal/heroic raids and/or PvP. I can sort of see attractiveness of levelling, especially as my ex was an altoholic, but yeah - Blizzard's idea of funneling the player really kills a lot of what made levelling fun to me in vanilla/BC. And that's not to say that that was flawless - fun times grinding 3 last levels on my paladin because I thought I ran out of zones to quest in, and didn't feel I was ready for dungeons.

Caim

Arcane
I never got why raiding was such a big thing in WoW. I understand if you do a dungeon once and get the loot with a 100% success rate, but doing it over and over again because the Girdle of Endless Defilement or the Hat of Multiple Tentacles or the last part of the Banalite Band, Shihit Necklace and the Bo Ring so that you get +50 Agility or something like that seems like artificial fun. Now, I mostly grew up on traditional RPGs without grind, and in my time in WoW I enjoyed the story quests (and the ones with interesting mechanics) more than the "farm 12 feathers of the Big Black Macawk, and not all birds have feathers and at best only drop one" ones.

Do some people actually enjoy the grinding quests and doing the same shit over and over again just to get slightly better gear?

Lhynn

Arcane
Do some people actually enjoy the grinding quests and doing the same shit over and over again just to get slightly better gear?
No, but they dont know what to do with their lifes and its better than staring at the ceiling.

Angthoron

Arcane
I never got why raiding was such a big thing in WoW. I understand if you do a dungeon once and get the loot with a 100% success rate, but doing it over and over again because the Girdle of Endless Defilement or the Hat of Multiple Tentacles or the last part of the Banalite Band, Shihit Necklace and the Bo Ring so that you get +50 Agility or something like that seems like artificial fun. Now, I mostly grew up on traditional RPGs without grind, and in my time in WoW I enjoyed the story quests (and the ones with interesting mechanics) more than the "farm 12 feathers of the Big Black Macawk, and not all birds have feathers and at best only drop one" ones.

It's not really about the gear. The gear permits you to perform better, that's about it. At some point, having shit gear will become a barrier for you and your team to progress, which's when the grind for upgrades begins. Sure, some people want loot for loot's sake, but at this point, it's really pointless to hoard it for epeen because, well, it's not exactly vanilla or BC when getting that stuff was fairly complex and people with epic sets stood out from the crowd. So it a way I guess it's a sort of a "levelling" process, albeit in a very repetitive environment.

Lhynn

Arcane
Wait, how does what he said translates to challenge? or are you talking about the challenge you have to go tru and overcome with skill because of shit gear?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Wait, how does what he said translates to challenge? or are you talking about the challenge you have to go tru and overcome with skill because of shit gear?
Fighting the bosses? It only becomes about grinding for loot when you get them on farm, before that you actually have to kill them and master the encounter to do it every week when the raid resets.

Angthoron

Arcane
How about maybe you try a Normal with a team of guys like yourself, with no prior raid experience, and then let us know if it was challenging or not?

Prior to the raid, please don't read the tactics, don't set up voice, and don't bring any consumables - oh, and don't coordinate the group in any way, like on a forum.

Lhynn

Arcane
Ah yes, ive done that multiple times, satisfying, especially when you have no idea how to kill them because you are the first team to ever face the it.
But thats kinda fleeting, this is why most end game bosses in china game mix it up by bringing player assasins to defend him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom