Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
And it's taking them until Q4 to release this? What the hell.

Yep. Like I said: their content production has actually slowed down over the years despite promises to the contrary. Moreover, a lot of the 'content' they pump out are lazy things like scenarios, dailies, and more factions to grind. Looked it up and the final content patch for Mists came out last September which means it'll be over a year people will be playing without anything new. Crazy.

Looks like I stand corrected in new UBRS is in addition to the six dungeons but... still... only three leveling dungeons? There were two leveling dungeons in the first zone of Burning Crusade. I don't understand why people continue to pay for this shit.

I don't understand why people continue to pay for this shit.

Who wouldn't pay a monthly sub to do this? http://wowhead.com/achievement=8728

After some years off WoW I recently picked up MOP and a month sub for cheap to check the game out, and to see if any of my old mates back from vanilla/TBC were still around. I was in total disbelief at how the game has devolved. The game basically has become this extension of Facebook where people log in to kill time. Not doing anything intellectually stimulating or challenging, just something to kill time like watching some teen show on TV. Players even defend some gameplay decisions with the argument that they can watch TV or a movie while they play. But don't we all watch a movie while we play Planescape Torment, MOTB, Arcanum or Fallout.

I know people who have NEVER taken time off WoW and have had a sub nonstop since the EU launch. Fucking insane. Their time investment into the game is so massive that I bet there is some psychological thing that keeps them from quitting. They would have to admit all those thousands of hours put into the game is just a waste and no one gives a fuck that they got a flying pony in some game.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I don't understand why people continue to pay for this shit.
I know people who have NEVER taken time off WoW and have had a sub nonstop since the EU launch. Fucking insane. Their time investment into the game is so massive that I bet there is some psychological thing that keeps them from quitting. They would have to admit all those thousands of hours put into the game is just a waste and no one gives a fuck that they got a flying pony in some game.
Duh.

No real need to content-starve WoW doe Blizz to set up a new mmorpg. They;ve already got Starcraft in waiting. Make it a PvP-oriented mmorpg with a DAoC emphasis on realm v realm, promoting the use of environment instead of banning it as in WoW - even if it makes only a pittance compared to WoW, it's a NEW pittance that WoW wouldn't normally be able to access. They'd extent theit total market dominance by eating into that market then by cannibalising the market that they already own.

TedNugent

Arcane
After some years off WoW I recently picked up MOP and a month sub for cheap to check the game out, and to see if any of my old mates back from vanilla/TBC were still around. I was in total disbelief at how the game has devolved. The game basically has become this extension of Facebook where people log in to kill time. Not doing anything intellectually stimulating or challenging, just something to kill time like watching some teen show on TV. Players even defend some gameplay decisions with the argument that they can watch TV or a movie while they play. But don't we all watch a movie while we play Planescape Torment, MOTB, Arcanum or Fallout.
Yeah, a lot of people subsist solely on doing daily quests (literally doing the same quest every single day upon reset for a token [roughly 1/100th of a gear piece] and a pittance of gold) and pet battles. Actually, when I last left most of the people in my guild were obsessing about their farms. You can farm crafting materials.

The other thing people do is they level up alts. Leveling an alt is about the saddest waste of time that I can imagine, and people make as many as 10 or 15 alts.

The other thing that was big in MOP was Timeless Isle. Everyone loves Timeless Isle. You go there and run around the map chasing after "rarespawns" (which have set spawn timers and locations that are then farmed for hours/weeks on end) and farming.

That's basically what the game is popularly now, farming. Farming little trinkets and mats for stupid shit.

I have no idea, absolutely no idea what keeps people going. I put up with it for short bursts (5-8 months) in order to try to blitzkrieg through to progression raiding normal modes, and every time, every single time, I got stonewalled by people that all they wanted to do was pet farm and level alts.

Progression raiding really doesn't exist because it's borderline impossible to get these imbeciles to do anything. It really isn't even remotely worth the time investment in dealing with all the dillweeds. I got the farming done relatively quickly, e.g. within a few months to weeks halfway thru the content patch, and everyone kept dragging us back from seeing any real raid content, so I got sick of it and quit. Raiding is full of dramz and half the people that signed up don't even show up for the continuation.

I have no idea why people think the raiding content needs to be more difficult, people can already barely handle what's on their plate at the moment so most people never get to even see what endgame looks like. What really needs to change is they just need to cut out all of the farming/weekly lockouts so you can actually be done with the game and pocket the 3-5 months of subscription money you would have blown trying to herd a bunch of lazy idiots through normal mode progression.

Warlock

All of the various Soulburn effects are learned together with Soulburn, instead of at different levels.
Metamorphosis: Cursed Auras has been removed.
Curse of Exhaustion and Curse of the Elements no longer gain a benefit from Soulburn.
Fire and Brimstone no longer applies to Curses.
Drain Life no longer gains a benefit from Soul Burn.
Drain Soul has been removed.
Fel Flame has been removed.
Health Funnel no longer gains a benefit from Soul Burn.
Metamorphosis: Void Ray has been removed.
Metamorphosis: Carrion Swarm has been removed.
Pyroclasm has been removed. The altered behavior it granted for Chaos Bolt is now baseline to Backdraft.
Seed of Corruption now replaces Rain of Fire for Affliction Warlocks.
Soulshatter has been removed.
Blood Horror’s cooldown has been increased to 60 seconds (up from 30 seconds) and now shares Diminishing Returns with all other Mesmerize effects.
Felhunter: Spell Lock now only interrupts spell casting and no longer Silences the enemy.
Mortal Coil now shares Diminishing Returns with all other Mesmerize effects.
Observer: Optic Blast now only deals damage and interrupts spell casting. The ability no longer Silences the enemy.
Sear Magic’s cooldown has been increased to 30 seconds (up from 20 seconds).
Terrorguard no longer casts Terrifying Roar when it dies.
Unbound Will’s cooldown has been increased to 2 minutes (up from 1 minute).
Voidwalker: Disarm and Voidlord: Disarm have been removed.
T-t-t-thanks, blizzard.

:negative:

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
This isn't even the same game I was playing 5 years ago. I don't know what this is, but it's not WoW.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
There were some superfluous/marginal abilities that should have gotten cut/blended but this looks like they just hacked away at a ton of things.

J1M

Arcane
Damage classes especially had way too many spells. Most of those that have been "removed" were things you would remove from your spell bar because they were never used; primal strike, for example.

They should have cut even more.

Damage classes especially had way too many spells. Most of those that have been "removed" were things you would remove from your spell bar because they were never used; primal strike, for example.
I could agree, but so-called merging two or more spells/abilities into one is just another part of the problem. As usual, Blizzard can't into balance. We'll see, warlock was pretty meh in comparison to other classes in Mists of Huntards and Mages, but still kinda fun.

J1M

Arcane
I could agree, but so-called merging two or more spells/abilities into one is just another part of the problem. As usual, Blizzard can't into balance. We'll see, warlock was pretty meh in comparison to other classes in Mists of Huntards and Mages, but still kinda fun.
:roll:

While I agree with your general sentiment that depth has been declining in games, these comments hurt your credibility. Almost all instances of ability merging involved passive abilities, which has no affect on depth.

Also, when one considers that 9 years ago raiding for some classes (warlocks) involved only using one spell, it can't really be said that WoW never had room for improvement.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Absolutely true. In BC warlock spell rotation was: shadowbolt, shadowbolt, shadowbolt, shadowbolt. Same for elemental shaman with lightning bolt. Meanwhile shadowpriest had to juggle half a dozen spells.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
That's completely inaccurate. Warlocks had to cast Curse of Doom too.

J1M

Arcane
I'd like to see more diversity of playstyles. Perhaps a build that has very few abilities, but the timing of their use is the key to success. I don't like how spammy everything has become. Not every class should play like a rogue. Having some gaps in a rotation allows for more chances to use abilities that bring utility instead of throughput.

Xenich

Cipher
Hey guys. As an old ass GW1 (and now disappointed GW2) guy instead of a WoW guy, I have now finally decided to give The Massive One a go. I know I'm kinda TEN YEARS late to the party but I think I'll actually start playing WoW for the first time now. I'd like to hear some opinions on the game presently and the amount of stuff to do and so on, just please don't even try to impress me with your mighty old school knowledge on how the game was awesome on its second week of existence because that won't be the content I'll play anyway.

Also, can you access all the content from the old expansions? Can I still fight Illidan, Arthas and the rest of the old bosses? Are all the dungeons still there?

Seriously, don't bother wasting your time... seriously... run away from it.

Xor

Arcane
Because it stopped being a good game about 2 expansions ago.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
End of an expansion is a very shitty time to start playing. Will be the same content, that most people are well ahead on and will resent taking you, for a long time. Yes you can do old expansion content, but you will be doing it at current cap, meaning you can probably solo a great deal of it. Some guilds are around that stay at the appropriate cap (60 for vanilla raids, 70 for BC etc.) but it's completely different now due to talent/ability changes, not really worth doing.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Funny, I have some friends that play since BC and everyone's pretty excited with this one that is about to come, some are even saying it'll bring tons of old players back. I thought it was incline ahead, even if cataclysm is apparently considered shit by pretty much everyone.

Though I heard they talking about this, like, 5 months ago.
Time to get new friends, homie.

Xenich

Cipher
Well you guys play this game for 10 years, of course it's worn out by now. I'm still not sure if I'll go for it, especially because I'd hop in with two other friends if they really decide to, but I guarantee you that no matter how shit things are in Azeroth these days, it's still infinitely better than the shit I was playing before - Guild Wars 2, which backstabbed every single buyer to complete annihilation with zero expansion-like new content and only a bunch of completely retarded minigames and "collect 99 dolls around the world map" stuff. WoW probably has its good portion of crappy stuff too, but it's not exclusively that like in GW2.

It isn't that it is "worn out", rather that the game has been dumbed down to extremes. While it was not an overly complex game in the first place, anything it did have was stripped away. The carrots you chase now are designed for paraplegics that are blind, deaf, and retarded (ie lowest common denominator play). As someone pointed out before, the game is a social media meeting spot where the bored and inept meet to waste time, nothing more.

Ninjerk

Arcane
:lol:

Well you guys play this game for 10 years, of course it's worn out by now. I'm still not sure if I'll go for it, especially because I'd hop in with two other friends if they really decide to, but I guarantee you that no matter how shit things are in Azeroth these days, it's still infinitely better than the shit I was playing before - Guild Wars 2, which backstabbed every single buyer to complete annihilation with zero expansion-like new content and only a bunch of completely retarded minigames and "collect 99 dolls around the world map" stuff. WoW probably has its good portion of crappy stuff too, but it's not exclusively that like in GW2.
Like Xenich said, it isn't just worn out. It's gameplay mechanics have been completely gutted to appeal to as many as possible, and all sorts of inane bullshit has creeped in, I'm sure. The last time I played was a couple months during Cataclysm, but it's impossible not to hear things about what they've been doing and am disappoint.

Revenant

It isn't that it is "worn out", rather that the game has been dumbed down to extremes. While it was not an overly complex game in the first place, anything it did have was stripped away. The carrots you chase now are designed for paraplegics that are blind, deaf, and retarded (ie lowest common denominator play). As someone pointed out before, the game is a social media meeting spot where the bored and inept meet to waste time, nothing more.
It depends on what you actually want to do in the game. There is nothing dumbed down about current raids on normal or heroic difficulty.

I myself started playing WoW very late, that is in September 2013, but the game still provided a lot of entertainment for me. Actually, for me personally it was probably a good thing to start playing in Mists of Pandaria only, because I was only ever interested in WoW due to Warcraft lore and now I can solo most of the good past endgame content, which I wouldn't have been able to see back in the days because I'm not much of a cooperative MMO player. So now I can do all the old content observing all the plot details that tend to get skipped during regular MMO play, participate in challenging current raids and even waste my time in casual shit like pet battles if I choose so. The game is very good for lone wolf players in its current state.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom