Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

Caim

Arcane
Ah, so it's gotten even easier I see.

But how about the later dungeons? I really like the idea of getting my hands on Shadowmourne, but do I really need some friends for that or could I just solo most of ICC as either a Warrior or a Death Knight?

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
You can solo about anything that's not current expansion content if you put effort in it. Cata stuff might be still a bit hard but doable, while anything WotLK can be done eyes shut unless it's gimmicky stuff like that boss in ICC which you need to heal to win.

And if you're pro and DK like Mione, you can probably solo a lot of current expansion content too now that I think of it.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It's not better at high levels and the end result would've been same even if everyone wore greens instead of heirlooms, that's how neutered dungeons are at the moment.

Good comparisation is that on vanilla with mix of MC/BWL gear you could do around 300-600 DPS depending on encounter. On live currently you can already do 1000-1500 DPS at level 50 and the level-up dungeons were never re-tuned to fit the change of numbers.

In this case I do not feel bad resubbing back to FF14. Good bye, WoW. I knew you well.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
You could also start on Rebirth, the best vanilla private server out there! We just hit 800 users online!

Except there's a switch of host service atm and it'll be down for few days

Caim

Arcane
Isn't pure Vanilla grindy and slow as fuck? I only got started around the last days of 4.1, so I don't know those times.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
It's more of an RPG experience really. Grindy, eh, depends what you define as grind but I never feel like I'm actually grinding anything.

Angthoron

Arcane
It's not really that grindy. There's a couple of spaces where the levelling feels prolonged, IIRC it's the 28-31, 38-41 and 57-60 levels, but that's only if you stick to just one continent, and/or are playing full solo. Otherwise, it's slow-paced, but not much grind to speak of.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
You'll have to pay me to experience the majority of 1-60 pre-redesign ever again

Desolace, Dustwallow Marsh...ugh

Hobo Elf

Arcane
WoW had a bunch of half baked zones but it never felt as slow paced and grindy as its predecessors. Of course many people don't have the patience to muster up their own dungeon groups anymore, so.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
What helped with the crappy vanilla zones was that people still did dungeons back then and the gear you got actually lasted for more than thirty minutes.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
The fast gear replacement is one of the things I hate most these days. Every 5 minutes I get item with +1 this and that stat, without feeling of getting stronger. On Rebirth and vanilla in general, getting a new item is amazing because the change is visible. When I got my mace from Uldaman at level 39 or so, I could really feel like I was doing huge damage vs. what I had earliel and that mace served me until I hit 60. That was amazing.

Israfael

Arcane
What many people fail to realise that the current game is focused only on the end-game content, and nothing more. In opposition of what people say and think (myself included), it's the end result of blizzard's policy of catering to the expert players' crowd. There's no more place for slow, meaningful leveling (because it's mind numbingly boring to drag a 9th alt through pandaria (i wouldnt do that for money), lowbie pvp (aka twinking, doesnt work now because of balance and removal of half low level ablilites as they dont get used in raids/arena), non-max level dungeons / old raids. So people who dont enjoy / dont have time / dont want to participate in the endgame (which is basically the current raiding tier / arena/rbg) are basically screwed so that people who do endgame can reach it as fast as possible. I really like raids, so i'm obviously biased, but pigeonholing people into raids doesnt really work well (just look at LFR and the typical participants of those 'raids').

Israfael

Arcane
Currently
The fast gear replacement is one of the things I hate most these days. Every 5 minutes I get item with +1 this and that stat, without feeling of getting stronger. On Rebirth and vanilla in general, getting a new item is amazing because the change is visible. When I got my mace from Uldaman at level 39 or so, I could really feel like I was doing huge damage vs. what I had earliel and that mace served me until I hit 60. That was amazing.
Believe me, when i got my first RPPM trinket (breath of the hydra i guess) in ToT normal a year ago, i felt the same. All these things exist in the game, they just crammed them into the endpoint instead of spreading them along the 'journey' (which doesnt exist anymore).

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Currently
Believe me, when i got my first RPPM trinket (breath of the hydra i guess) in ToT normal a year ago, i felt the same. All these things exist in the game, they just crammed them into the endpoint instead of spreading them along the 'journey' (which doesnt exist anymore).

No it doesn't exist in same way really. Blizzard has actually made active effort to make anything "last tier" useless. Last time you could actually get good thing and be off with it for beyond your current tier was in WotLK, when Darkmoon Faire trinket was BiS up til ICC or heroic version of ToTC trinket. After that they actually have nerfed items for being "too good" when next tier is released and I call it bullshit design.

Cramming up items to end-game thing is not really a good excuse to me either, when the grounds up design is so shaky

Israfael

Arcane
I meant not items, but some other thing - in the current design philosophy, if you dont raid (current tier (hc (competitive))), you are a failure by definition. That wasn't true back in TBC times (i was much younger then though). Now blizzard literally forces everyone to raid by funneling people into LFR as the only means of any kind of PVE progression. Dungeons are dumbified and serve no purpose (compared to TBC and cata heroics), even gathering is obsolete with the warbringer bags providing you stuff faster and easier than flying around the Pandaria and gathering nodes.

.. Last time you could actually get good thing and be off with it for beyond your current tier was in WotLK, when Darkmoon Faire trinket was BiS up til ICC or heroic version of ToTC trinket. After that they actually have nerfed items for being "too good" when next tier is released and I call it bullshit design.
Well, current 476 DMC trinket is probably better than Timeless trinkets (535) and probably on par with cleave trinkets of flex / normal SoO. It wasnt about that, it's just Blizzard didnt care about balance before Cataclysm, which allowed this wonderful mess and diversity of pretty unique classes and specs. Then they started balance things and by now they seem to have abandoned any hope of doing that while retaining complexity.. that reminds me of one obsidian nerd who preaches about the same :deadhorse:

I meant not items, but some other thing - in the current design philosophy, if you dont raid (current tier (hc (competitive))), you are a failure by definition. That wasn't true back in TBC times (i was much younger then though). Now blizzard literally forces everyone to raid by funneling people into LFR as the only means of any kind of PVE progression. Dungeons are dumbified and serve no purpose (compared to TBC and cata heroics), even gathering is obsolete with the warbringer bags providing you stuff faster and easier than flying around the Pandaria and gathering nodes.

.. Last time you could actually get good thing and be off with it for beyond your current tier was in WotLK, when Darkmoon Faire trinket was BiS up til ICC or heroic version of ToTC trinket. After that they actually have nerfed items for being "too good" when next tier is released and I call it bullshit design.
Well, current 476 DMC trinket is probably better than Timeless trinkets (535) and probably on par with cleave trinkets of flex / normal SoO. It wasnt about that, it's just Blizzard didnt care about balance before Cataclysm, which allowed this wonderful mess and diversity of pretty unique classes and specs. Then they started balance things and by now they seem to have abandoned any hope of doing that while retaining complexity.. that reminds me of one obsidian nerd who preaches about the same :deadhorse:

Even back in late-stage Vanilla, the team's express aim was to enable more players to be involved in the raiding end-game, instead of giving equal-but-different status to other styles of gameplay. And I emphasis express aim - the lead designer said this outright in response to questions about the shifting emphasis upon raid equipment, and whether PvP, solo and small-group players were just subsidising the raiders.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Back in Vanilla when they didn't have resilience most of the epic PvP gear was on par with Tier 2 raid loot; so there sort of was 'equal-but-different' status. But, yes, this shifted towards the end when they largely ignored battlegrounds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom