Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Indeed. The article barely covers it as the dev just glosses over the question and says: yeah we've thought about it. They've probably thought for a whole ten seconds and realized there's little to no upside in terms of profitability.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Actually if you read the article there is no mention that Blizzard are considering it. The interviewer asked, and the reply is "it would be nice but we'd have to think about it". No idea why everyone went from this to assuming that Blizzard are "considering" it. It's a typical PR response when you don't want to say either "yes" or "no".

J1M

Arcane
Actually if you read the article there is no mention that Blizzard are considering it. The interviewer asked, and the reply is "it would be nice but we'd have to think about it". No idea why everyone went from this to assuming that Blizzard are "considering" it. It's a typical PR response when you don't want to say either "yes" or "no" "that's a dumb question, why did they send a neckbeard to interview me?"
Fixed.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
There is currently no incentive to create a WoW2. It is just cannibalization. WoW, once it goes f2p, will be a cash cow.

And it will still be a while for that. They're already out-doing about every other F2P MMO with their real-money market and are raking in more money than they did at their peak subscription count. That 6-9 million players is just basically printing free money while having all the F2P benefits already.

Mists of Kung Fu panda was all about orcs and now there's more orcs. Boring, boring, boring. I don't regret quitting before the first expansion was out.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So they dropped the price of MoP to $10 and apparently gave it free to select licenses. I got upgraded for free but, of course, I'd still have to pay $15 to resubscribe so fuck that.

I'm thinking about subscribing for WoD (depends on the amount of disposable spare money), and because I like how I don't have to sign a fucking CV for a part-time job in some no-life Guild... but it always bugs me that shit is bound to become obsolete.

Why they won't leave an odd server or two for people who want to play older expansions?

Their politics is pure retardo. Always the same scenario, only one raid every few months ICC, with some variables ice are stupid anyway. Like the possibility for some classes to run Icecrown Citadel several dozen times, and grind it thoroughly, in order to get the Legendary Shadowmourne as a reward, so you can... run it again more efficiently, or something :retarded: Next expansion drops, progress nullified, blank slate. Kaboom.

It will. Blizzard fucked both Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3. What makes you think they are going to get WoW right, particularly now that the original main designer left? Blizzard is no more, it has ceased to be, it has expired and gone to meet its maker. Just deal with it.

Not to mention, a WoW2 (or any Blizz mmorpg) is going to face the same barrier that has seen off every other attempt at overtaking it: too much of the mmorpg market being unwilling to abandon the time that they've sunk into WoW, for fear of not being able to suppress the cognitive dissonance that they've been wasting their lives..

I just want to fast-forward time so I can see all the butthurt when WoW is no longer supported. I'd place money that there'll be people posting in all caps about how it's as though all their time and effort has been completely meaningless.

catfood

AGAIN
Sometimes I hear about WOW and get nostalgic about the times when I used to play it. I get a sudden urge to go out and buy the latest expansions and renew my subscription. Then I go to youtube to watch some gameplay and after five minutes I close the tab in utter disgust. I have saved a lot of money this way.

Delterius

Arcane
It will. Blizzard fucked both Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3. What makes you think they are going to get WoW right, particularly now that the original main designer left? Blizzard is no more, it has ceased to be, it has expired and gone to meet its maker. Just deal with it.

Not to mention, a WoW2 (or any Blizz mmorpg) is going to face the same barrier that has seen off every other attempt at overtaking it: too much of the mmorpg market being unwilling to abandon the time that they've sunk into WoW, for fear of not being able to suppress the cognitive dissonance that they've been wasting their lives..

I just want to fast-forward time so I can see all the butthurt when WoW is no longer supported. I'd place money that there'll be people posting in all caps about how it's as though all their time and effort has been completely meaningless.
Well, doesn't UO still get expansions? If it is at all possible for a group of diehards to become a niche market for a small team within Blizzard itself, the company's ego won't let them terminate WoW Traditional.

Well, doesn't UO still get expansions? If it is at all possible for a group of diehards to become a niche market for a small team within Blizzard itself, the company's ego won't let them terminate WoW Traditional.

My understanding was that UO wasn't a raid-monkey equipment grinding mmo though. WoW players blow through content at a truly disturbing rate, and then complain that there isn't enough to keep them occupied (despite remaining thoroughly occupied). Not receiving further raid updates would be almost as bad as pulling the servers.

Fake edit: Actually, on further thought, I'm not so sure that's true. I wouldn't be surprised (amused, but not surprised) if a decent chunk of WoW players ended up treating a static no-updates world as their ultimate version of the game. They're constantly 'working' to climb that equipment treadmill, right? Perhaps they'd actually rejoice if the treadmill stopped, but the servers remained online so that they can still pretend that their equipment means something. As in 'Yay! I finally reached the top raiding gear in the WoW universe, and my efforts won't be undermined by any new lot of superior gear. I've made something of myself!'.

Hell, that might even be a social service - it would free them all up to return to the real world, without breaking them by throwing their wasted efforts at their face.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
My understanding was that UO wasn't a raid-monkey equipment grinding mmo though.

It became one in 2003 with Age of Shadows expansion. It's true that it still has more non gear based content that WoW does though.

Personally I've never had been attached to gear in any game but that's mostly because I never bothered with getting best-in-slot items. For me it's just a minor distraction when progressing through raid content. Games like Path of Exile do gear way better anyway.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I got nostalgic and shelled out $15 for one month. Looked up where my casual lvl66 mage can level, turns out - Nagrand. Flew around Nagrand, it's a fucking big area full of nothing, just like most zones are after you get a flying mount.

Where the earlier game had coherent little themes to each zone, which felt nice to explore and had strategically placed enemies, it appears to have devolved into spreading NPCs across large distances and wasting as much of player's time as possible.

The last such zone was what, level ~40 at Arathi Highlands or whatever it's called. Before that, Darkshire was cool. Since then, mostly garbage. Hellfire Peninsula was sorta in that vicinity maybe... kinda... sorta... and then more garbage.

No longer can I find such a zone, where I would explore the nearby areas and always run into players who I could group with to do quests. This is a game of One-Man-Armies and raids.

I hope I'm wrong. But the zones stopped propelling me from one to the next way before I canceled subscription in 2012. I just lost the thread of where I was supposed to be, and stopped running into chunks of players running around, i.e. non-single-player experience.

buzz

Arcane
:what:what's with all the WoW nostalgiafags in here? I thought people in here started MMOs with Ultima Online, Asheron's Call, Dark Age of Camelot or (in my case) Anarchy Online. Or maybe Everquest. Shit, maybe even City of Heroes or Star Wars Galaxies, those were also launched before WoW.
I wonder if there's any ONWN nostalgiafags on RPGCodex.

Angthoron

Arcane
I got nostalgic and shelled out $15 for one month. Looked up where my casual lvl66 mage can level, turns out - Nagrand. Flew around Nagrand, it's a fucking big area full of nothing, just like most zones are after you get a flying mount.

Nagrand is a pre-flying mount zone originally and the pacing and exploration in it were actually fairly decent. Get your ass off the flying mount at the entrance to Zarnarmarsh or Terokkar and run on foot until you find something, it'll take you along the zone.

Zeriel

Arcane
:what:what's with all the WoW nostalgiafags in here? I thought people in here started MMOs with Ultima Online, Asheron's Call, Dark Age of Camelot or (in my case) Anarchy Online. Or maybe Everquest. Shit, maybe even City of Heroes or Star Wars Galaxies, those were also launched before WoW.

I started with Everquest, played a lot of Lineage and Lineage 2, so I kind of have WoW in my frame of reference as the most casual of casual MMOs, even in vanilla, but it was the one I played the most because it had by far the best PVP combat engine. (Not disputing that Dark Age of Camelot had better realm vs realm PVP, but in terms of the basic feel of combat and the stuff that was possible like metagaming interrupts by fake-casting, I still feel WoW is unequalled.)

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
what's with all the WoW nostalgiafags in here? I thought people in here started MMOs with Ultima Online, Asheron's Call, Dark Age of Camelot or (in my case) Anarchy Online. Or maybe Everquest. Shit, maybe even City of Heroes or Star Wars Galaxies, those were also launched before WoW.

You can disagree about many things regarding WoW, but when it came out it was basically the single most polished and well built MMO mechanically and blew all it's competition out of water by margin that left the entire market gaping in either terror or awe. It is to this date the slickest and most responsive MMO of them all in the market which in itself is hilarious considering just how many have tried to go through the WoW route and yet none succeeded to simply provide that slick experience.

When speaking purely mechanics and how gameplay is handled and the button->thing happens ratio, there simply is no competition at all.

Delterius

Arcane
Bunch of traitors. Next thing you know the forum rallies around some RTwP pos.

Zeriel

Arcane

Already happened. Fifth column Pillars of Eternity fans everywhere.

Delterius

Arcane

Already happened. Fifth column Pillars of Eternity fans everywhere.
Well, at least they know our lord Avellone is great at videogames, right?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Since Wrath they have a habit of making zones obnoxiously large for their own sake. It sort of makes sense for places like Storm Peaks and Icecrown but in all of the Cata and MoP zones it's simply annoying and tedious. As far as resubscribing... again, I'd have to shell out $50 for the expansion and then another $15/month. It's not a good value in today's market of mass sales. That and I could only tolerate playing with people I know for dungeons and such and I don't know anyone who plays anymore.

buzz

Arcane
No, it's more like people having fond memories of KOTOR and Fable.

Not that WoW is worse or better that most of the MMOs I've played (or that MMOs are that good in the first place), I've only played it a bit around the time Burning Crusade got out and never stuck with it so I'm the last person to judge its quality (my hate of WoW came before the game was even released, thanks to Warcraft 3). Just thought it was quite weird that so many people in here have fond memories of this game out of all things. People who in general hate "casual shit", "lore rape" and other inventions of the modern gaming world.

EDIT: I mean, it's mostly a question of timeline really. Pretty much every known MMO studio or franchise minus ArenaNet with Guild Wars was released and established before WoW was launched. WoW mostly found its fans because of Blizztards and then after that all the non-gamers attracted to the sound of the most popular game on the market.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Heard about them removing a whole zone (probably because in BC it was Netherstorm and looked totally different than it's original so they were too lazy to think up of what it would look like pre mana explosions). But only two raid tiers? Wtf? That's just pure laziness. You sure they don't mean two on release and not two total?

Heard about them removing a whole zone (probably because in BC it was Netherstorm and looked totally different than it's original so they were too lazy to think up of what it would look like pre mana explosions). But only two raid tiers? Wtf? That's just pure laziness. You sure they don't mean two on release and not two total?

The first tier is Blackrock Foundry (Burning Steppes) and Highmaul (Nagrand), and the second tier is Grom Hellscream (Tanaan Jungle probably) raid "with a Legion twist".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom