Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Welp I can't use any quest hubs in Nagrand because they're all hostile. Found Sylvanaar via Internet guide... looks like nice quest hub... a little small... not a living soul around.

WoW really suffers from player fragmentation past level 50 or so. They're spread too thin, and the MMO feeling is just not there when you run around the expanse. Or perhaps they're all quick-leveling monkeys, so there are very few "in progress" players and everyone is level 90.

WoW really suffers from player fragmentation past level 50 or so. They're spread too thin, and the MMO feeling is just not there when you run around the expanse. Or perhaps they're all quick-leveling monkeys, so there are very few "in progress" players and everyone is level 90.

It can just as well be that your server sucks. You can count the servers where the population is High and distributed at least 40-60 between Horde and Alliance on one hand.

If I wanted to go back on my 85 Orc Death Knight on Sylvanas, I would face 4 times as many Allies as I would Hordes.

But the point is to get to max lvl asap.

Delterius

Arcane
Its both of those issues, really. WoW's design ultimate conclusion is to reach max level. Vanilla world design made it a much longer affair and also funneled players so that they got to meet many others, especially in levels between 50 and 60 since it was predictable that there would be fewer players in that bracket at any one time.

However, with the release of The Burning Crusade the world became so much larger that players were spread too thin. Moreover, the expansion's content had to be engaged and so levelling was made slightly quicker which caused the base to be spread even thinner. Wrath of the Lich King gave us even faster levelling across the board and gave us more options of where to go, from the beginning to the end of Northrend you get to choose between two general routes beginning at the Howling Fjord and the Borean Tundra and some permutations between the two.

Still then, I remember meeting more often than I did later on. That because it is Cataclysm which gave us the coup de grace. Not that people noticed it at first, really, the revamp of the old world caused a lot of people to go back and do everything again as well as check what was new. The greatest change was that the greatest obstacle to quick levelling, which was not experience gain but rather world design, was overhauled. Before, quests happened wherever and however designers/storytellers wanted them to. Hence things like the Barrens which were a region of relatively low experience gain made considerably slower by the large distances covered in each quest. Now, just like in the expansions, quests and travelling are of a much more convenient design. Better: like in some of the expansions, quests were more easily and conveniently solved.

Once sort of a crowning achievement, crossing the Dark Portal into Outland became chore. Even with aforementioned increases in experience gain, the region wasn't nearly as convenient in quest design as even Northrend and its content was much older. People complained and all sorts of changed were made. Flying mounts had already been made easier to acquire but it was not enough. It became even quicker to reach level 70 but it was still not enough. Eventually, people realized they didn't really care to level characters anymore and the option to skip levels 1-70 was given to players who already had done it. Today, I think, you can just skip it to the latest content, am I right?

Further, this chain of events is part of an overarching narrative where a game with WoW's theme park design kind of cannibalizes its own content. A quicker rate of consumption eventually became more than the prospects of a wiser fanbase than in 2000s but also a mandate of game design. Its like with mounts. Once they were considerably expensive, then you were given an option to pay an extra to make them quicker. Then suddenly you could fly. Now you don't even have to mount to reach your raids.

Lastly, I suppose that the novelty of a large open world became less and less the realm of games like WoW. If something like Kingdoms of Amalur can actually purport to deliever (what they didn't know as the worst part of) the 'MMO Experience', that's when such things no longer matter.

TL;DR In between changes in player expectations and world designed was born a feedback loop that derped the game forever.

The multiverse story of Warlords of Draenor may be derp, but I like the conclusion that you can't escape your destiny:
GrommashHellscreamWoDModel.jpg

Also it seems Wrathion is the mastermind behind the whole affair, and since it's a matter of time when Burning Legion finds Azeroth, it's apparently the test of Azeroth's champions' prowess to prove themselves.

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
Also it seems Wrathion is the mastermind behind the whole affair, and since it's a matter of time when Burning Legion finds Azeroth, it's apparently the test of Azeroth's champions' prowess to prove themselves.
He planned a good deal of the conflict in Pandaria too to have the Alliance either destroy or absorb the Horde so they would stand united against the Burning Legion. With that plan having fallen through, he send Garrosh back to Draenor.

Come to think of it, why doesn't the Bronze Dragonflight intervene and tear Wrathion several new assholes? Does he work together with the Infinite Dragonflight or something?

Delterius

Arcane
Come to think of it, why doesn't the Bronze Dragonflight intervene and tear Wrathion several new assholes? Does he work together with the Infinite Dragonflight or something?

It will be revealed that ours is actually a broken timeline and we must flee to new Azeroth for the "not even Arthas is dead" expansion.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The Wrathion storyline is dumb. Let's test the planet by killings hundreds of thousands of its 'champions' in a pointless war that does nothing but serve as a test. He's more detrimental than anything else and since he technically doesn't have any aspect powers I'm wondering why they don't just gang up on him and kill him so he stops causing trouble.

Caim

Arcane

It will be revealed that ours is actually a broken timeline and we must flee to new Azeroth for the "not even Arthas is dead" expansion.
:what:

This makes to much sense for Blizzard to not eventually do.

I'm wondering why they don't just gang up on him and kill him so he stops causing trouble.

HE'S AN AFROAMERICAN CHILD FOR CHRIST SAKE

...at any rate, I don't know if you've seen this...

warlords-of-draenor-the-legacy-of-garrosh-hellscream-by-redshirtguy-7-FL2LbCt.jpg

warlords-of-draenor-the-legacy-of-garrosh-hellscream-by-redshirtguy-8-KsAnSpZ.jpg

warlords-of-draenor-the-legacy-of-garrosh-hellscream-by-redshirtguy-2-8vAq4De.jpg

...oh shit.

:incline::incline::incline:

Although I expected it not to end like that.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The Wrathion storyline is dumb. Let's test the planet by killings hundreds of thousands of its 'champions' in a pointless war that does nothing but serve as a test. He's more detrimental than anything else and since he technically doesn't have any aspect powers I'm wondering why they don't just gang up on him and kill him so he stops causing trouble.

Why? As long as there are 10-25 uberchampions left, the Legion/Old Gods/whatever is fucked.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Shitty narratives like MoP and WoD make Old God #3 seem original. Well, I guess Nzoth would be 4 if you count the body parts of what's his face in MoP. I guess with them setting up the Legion to return... again... that will be the next expansion so who knows when they'll get to Nzoth and Azshara -- they seem to go together since they put Nzoth somewhere in the one of the oceans. But, hey, they'll put out expansions faster now... just like they've been saying for the past six or so years now. Don't expect the next one until 2017.

catfood

AGAIN
How is the leveling speed nowadays? I remember when Cataclysm came out that you could blitz through levels 1-60. If you wanted to do all the quests in one area you ended up being 3 levels above the mobs there. 5 if you also did some dungeons and PVP. It got extremely boring and it's also why I quit one month after Cata came out. Did they fix this with later patches?

Caim

Arcane
1-60 is still hella fast, 60-70 is a complete grind because of the bad design of Outland, 70-80 is acceptable.

Revenant

Nah, it's pretty much the same nowadays. By completing all quests in an area you generally outlevel it by 2 levels. Leveling in dungeons with heirlooms can get you to the lvl cap in a week maximum, or so they say. Leveling in the current expansion is much harder, though. Still having Vietnam flashbacks about leveling from 89 to 90 in Dread Wastes :argh:

Caim

Arcane
I think 80-85 can be done without doing all the Cata zones (I'd say skip the underwater zones, since they are a pain in the ass), and you don't have to bother with doing all the zones of Pandaria to hit 90.

Revenant

Yeah, you can totally skip at least two Cataclysm zones entirely, and when in Pandaria it's best to move to a new zone every time you gain a level to minimize the boredom of its huge, bloated lands with childishly written quests. However, since the Dread Wastes is the only 89-90 area and the leveling becomes really slow at that point, you have to quest in the mentioned area for quite a while. At least the Klaxxi storyline there is about the only decent one in Pandaria, but the mobs there... man.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom