Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I'm excited to sub again for 1-2 months before getting bored of the game again. I think I'll pre-purchase today.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
first month of new wow expansion

funny-gif-bananas-ball-pit.gif

Aildrik

Savant
I will say, it has become a bit of a guilty pleasure for me to go back and stomp previous expansion raids :D Finally got Ashes of Al'ar. Working on Invincible and Mimiron's Head. As much as I kinda hate the way cloud serpents feel and look when you fly them, having the celestial version from MV would just be awesome so I am hoping that raid is soloable at L100.

Kinda funny that for being obsolete content (for gear anyhow), you see an army of people going in and out of these older raids pretty much any hour of the day.

Caim

Arcane
I will say, it has become a bit of a guilty pleasure for me to go back and stomp previous expansion raids :D Finally got Ashes of Al'ar. Working on Invincible and Mimiron's Head. As much as I kinda hate the way cloud serpents feel and look when you fly them, having the celestial version from MV would just be awesome so I am hoping that raid is soloable at L100.

Kinda funny that for being obsolete content (for gear anyhow), you see an army of people going in and out of these older raids pretty much any hour of the day.
Of course! Why put up with assholes and the incompetent in puggies when you can wait one expansion and do all that shit by yourself!

Just try camping out at for example Onyxia's Lair, Karazhan, ICC, Blackrock Mountain, the various cloud-based instances in Uldum and of course the entire schools of people swimming to Coilfaing Reservoir.

That last one I can understand: some of that T1 and T2 recolored raid gear looks pretty cool.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Just loaded up a 13 hour playlist of music for tomorrow.
Getting ready, getting hyped.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yep. Playing through the beta I knew it would be a cluster fuck. It's all channeled/linear.

Caim

Arcane
And that's why I'm going to wait a few weeks or so before starting with the WoD content myself.

Xenich

Cipher
Friend and I, after a long break decided to "try" the game again to see how things are. We decided to start over again and experience the content. The lack of quest content is disturbing. All those large maps and essentially little to no quest content in them. What used to take hours to complete an area, now takes minutes. The quests seem to be designed and written by someone with ADD. A few of the quests leave you scratching your head as the quest tracker points to the wrong location, but quest text has no real information to work from (because apparently the quest markers are supposed to take care of it) and so you end up dumbly wandering around till you complete it.

The difficulty of the game is a joke. You can't die solo, it is retarded. Now we did die some in Deadmines, but we started duoing it at 15 and I noticed that the design of the dungeons is essentially "groups" where everyone AoE's things down as CC is pointless, no strategy, no thought, just have the DPS/HPS to win quickly. I watched in dismay doing some quests as elite mobs were mowed over as if they were some wilderness animal which created problems for people to actually use the elite mob for its intended quest goal. This left people running around in circles waiting for it to respawn again so they could capture it only to have some random passerby speed roll it on the way to another quest.

Leveling speed seems to destroy any sense of accomplishment. Each level comes so fast, that there is no joy in the "ding" sound as it is just a common monotonous occurrence in the background.

The development system... I mean... I am in shock. It is like they modeled it after some preschool toys. It looks more like an action/arcade Super Mario Brothers system than anything resembling its former self. You are pigeon holed into focuses, no freedom to experiment and no real depth. Just click door number 1, 2, 3 and you too can be like everyone else!

Combat is even faster than it was when we left (which is saying a lot). Fights end so quickly that it really doesn't matter what your class is and what spells/skills you are using, it is all the same... just smash, boom, loot and off to the next. It is hilarious because any attempt they have made to give mobs various abilities and functions are completely pointless. Mob has heal, but it dies 9/10 times before it can even heal. Nothing matters, nothing has meaning or purpose.

You would think the game would have failed a long time ago due to this, but apparently those feeding the beast can't seem to connect the dots as to why they are miserable. In general chat, you hear people complaining about how they are bored, how they have all of their server slots maxed with capped characters all the while others offering suggestions to alleviate such boredom by starting on a new server to cap out all the slots there.

I am completely surprised as I didn't think this game could streamline much more than it already had when I left. It seriously is just an action game with power ups now.

What is amazing is that I have read some people commenting on this in the WoW forums to which they are attacked in swarms by zombies who appear to attack anything that does not worship at the feet of the game. I honestly don't think the people playing the game today could even survive in vanilla WoW. I think they would be swarming the forums complaining about how the game was too hard, too much effort, and took too much time out of their apparently "extremely" busy lives.

abija

Prophet
You would think the game would have failed a long time ago due to this, but apparently those feeding the beast can't seem to connect the dots as to why they are miserable.
Maybe it's you who can't connect the dots. Game evolved according to what the masses wanted, that's how it survived (the fact that all the competition shot themselves in the foot before the starting line also helped).

Xenich

Cipher
You would think the game would have failed a long time ago due to this, but apparently those feeding the beast can't seem to connect the dots as to why they are miserable.
Maybe it's you who can't connect the dots. Game evolved according to what the masses wanted, that's how it survived (the fact that all the competition shot themselves in the foot before the starting line also helped).

I am not arguing that the masses wanted this, that wasn't my point. The masses however devour their "wanted" and "preferred" content then complain about there being nothing to do or that everything is a boring grind. The masses may have wanted WoW as it is today, but then if we use that logic as a means to establish superiority, then the greatest musicians ever are Britney Spears, Madonna and Miley Cyrus.

My point was about people who demand a fast and easy content game, but then can't seem to connect the dots as to why they are sitting around bored and complaining about nothing to do because they are on their 15th maxed alt. These "masses" are the same ones who jump MMO, to MMO, to MMO demanding that each one be designed with the same style of content from the last game they left, devouring the game quickly after such and then moving on to the next. WoW was once a difficult and detailed world that contained many options and focuses for an MMO. Now it is simply an action arcade game reminiscent of the latest console game release. Sure, the masses may have demanded it, but as I said, a consensus of poor decision makers doesn't all of a sudden make a good decision.

By the way, WoW in its current form is a failed model. Every game that tries to match it ends up failing hard. LoTRO started pushing WoW style focus in Moria, they had a spike of WoW players, then it died off and that game has been a cash shop hole ever sense.

Secret world had potential, but the WoW crowd demanded the combat system be forced into a trinity design and that fights center around it and now that game skates along also on cash shops.

EQ 2 followed WoWs easy model and it is dying. Same with DDO, also dying. Why? Because those who desire that type of play prefer to continue going back to WoW if they have to choose between WoW and a clone.

Besides, WoWs success wasn't due to some amazing game design, it was due to PCs being more accessible, WoW having low system requirements, and a slew of "non-gamers/console player" being brought into the mix. PC gaming died due to simple economics of supply and demand. What was once a much smaller market is now a massive market and the bulk of people who play these games now are more interested in being "entertained" than they are actually playing a game. So naturally, the manufacturers catered to it. The unfortunate thing is that somehow people got the idea that this was an evolution and not simply a mob takeover of style and preference. It is the same thing when people say things like "Turn based is an outdated mechanism that evolved into action play.. blah blah... ".

Last edited:

Xenich

Cipher
Interesting, so.... at level 15 duo in Deadmines, we had some troubles (mainly because we lacked skills and were practically naked), we did ok, but it was rough. Dungeon is listed 15-21. I go back at 24 solo and destroy the place. Keep in mind, no bought gear, just random quest gear and still some missing slots. When I say destroy, I mean... the fights weren't even close, I rolled them like I was killing easy mobs. Go back to vanilla WoW Deadmines and... a level 24 in a full party would still be a rough run. It is so sad to see all forms of challenge removed from this game. The fights used to be difficult. I remember multiple deaths of a full party in the high end range of this dungeon in the early days. Now it feels like just activity to pass the time. /sigh

Don Peste

Arcane
Interesting, so.... at level 15 duo in Deadmines, we had some troubles (mainly because we lacked skills and were practically naked), we did ok, but it was rough. Dungeon is listed 15-21. I go back at 24 solo and destroy the place. Keep in mind, no bought gear, just random quest gear and still some missing slots. When I say destroy, I mean... the fights weren't even close, I rolled them like I was killing easy mobs. Go back to vanilla WoW Deadmines and... a level 24 in a full party would still be a rough run. It is so sad to see all forms of challenge removed from this game. The fights used to be difficult. I remember multiple deaths of a full party in the high end range of this dungeon in the early days. Now it feels like just activity to pass the time. /sigh
I would like to hire you as a full time developer for me new MMO, Fantasy Online Worlds.

Xenich

Cipher
I would like to hire you as a full time developer for me new MMO, Fantasy Online Worlds.

Sticking ones head in the sand won't make the rains go away. In fact, one is likely to drown in doing so.

Xenich

Cipher
In fact, one is likely to drown in doing so.
Don't let us stop you.

I am confused... was that supposed to be witty? Did your lustful zealous to protect your favorite game cloud your ability to even make a witty comeback?

Maybe you have spent too much time in your illustrious game world that its sub par expectations and standard have led you to believe that you can even remotely begin to act in an intelligent manner outside of it?

Shall I give you a map with a leading arrow that keeps flashing in front of you and leads you to a target the size of a barn with a big sign that says you win and are special to the world to convince you? Can you even function without such instruction?

PLEASE CLICK YOUR MOUSE REPEATEDLY TO ANSWER!!!

It doesn't matter if you say yes or no, the result is the same!

Thank you for playing... Mooooooove along. /pat

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom