Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

J1M

Arcane
I came back to WoW for WoD after quitting early in Cataclysm.

What in God's name happened to reputation? Was championing a faction in dungeons too reasonable, economic, and fun, so we have to kill literally thousands of annoying, tightly packed mobs?
You are looking at it backwards. They didn't remove reputations from dungeons, they removed the need to do dungeons once you have started raiding.

There are no mandatory items locked behind reputations. They now reward those who want a massive time sink to escape reality with cosmetic items.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Five mans started to get phased out when Scenarios came along. Then they phased out Scenarios and just made five mans as easy/boring as scenarios.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
What in God's name happened to reputation? Was championing a faction in dungeons too reasonable, economic, and fun, so we have to kill literally thousands of annoying, tightly packed mobs?
Isn't this how you did reputation in vanilla? I thought you hardcore oldtimers would be happy that Blizzard reintroduced all these features that made vanilla so superior to the popamole decline that the game has become :troll:

No. You didn't do reps just by mindlessly killing mobs. Let me educate you, plebeian. In other words, let me quote myself from earliel and other forums:

When I look at reputation "grinds" (Which set amount of dailies certainly is not, it's just a chore to be done with) the best example of it all comes from all the way back of vanilla and Argent Dawn. Simply because of it's diversity if nothing else. There were TONS of ways you could gain rep with AD, especially at the end of vanilla. Let me list some of them:

-Farming outdoor mobs up til friendly/honored (Depending on mob type)
-Farming instance mobs up til honored (Bosses gave rep all the way to exalted)
-Scourge Insignias, three types of them based on the strength of the undead mob and the drop rate was quite high. Required a trinket for drops but the AD blue trinket with AP/SP against undeads was extremely powerful for it's time.
-Cauldron runs (Repeteable quests where you go gather mats from undeads to disable cauldrons)
-8 different resource turn-ins that were very farmable due to high drop rates but also came as an extra pretty much regardless of what you did. (These also gave you marks to buy some of the best pre-raid stuff from AD faction, along with biggest bag of the game at the time)
-Crafting work-orders for all professions that could give items doubling your reputation gain

There was plenty of ways to increase rep with AD, none of which required daily commitment to reach certain level within the faction. On the contrary, it was all on the player's hand how fast or slow the progression happened instead of artificial barriers to slow down the process.

What also made a large difference was that you could farm AD rep on two separate zones and in two rather large instances (Strath being almoust half the size of Stormwind) and there was always some lone spot where you didn't have to compete with others if you wanted some peace.

None of them gave particulary much rep, the mobs awarded 5 rep per kill 'til the limit, turn ins 50 and insignia turn ins some more. But it was continuous process on which player could dictate how to spend the time and if he didn't, something always piled up regardless.

This of course is mostly applicaple to the other "high end" reputation of vanilla, Cenarion Circle.

It certainly was more difficult to work with than AD with rather major time requirements, but it also presented hefty amount of options of how to work on it.

-Farming mobs -> Gave rep, dropped pages for turn-ins, dropped Twilight set
-Twilight set -> Summon miniboss that awards rep on kill, that for some classes was soloable, which in turn drops possible reputation turn-in item and item that will let you summon mid-tier boss.
-Kill mid-tier boss that requires a group of 3-5 players and the same occurs but this time it also dropped very good entry level BoE blue gear, get more rep, more rep items for turn-ins and items that let you summon final boss.
-Final boss, all of the above is applicaple, but now there was chance for epics and you needed a small raid group to finish it up. These were quite casual aswell, in a sense that you could gather summoning mats really fast.
-Then there were the Letter quests for Logistics, Military and such. It utilized crafting professions, farming hives and gave badges for which you could buy gear that would be usable all the way to AQ, a worthy time-investment.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
Maybe, but we will never know because you cannot into whitespace.

Caim

Arcane
Though to be fair, for every vanilla Argent Dawn there was a faction like the Hydraxian Waterlords. Farm mobs, farm more mobs, farm bosses, farm Ragnaros over the course of MONTHS. And this was in Vanilla, whereas now the fight against Ragnaros takes, what, 20 seconds?

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
But those were just that, relatively pointless reps. You didn't need to do anything but initial set of quests for Hydraxian Waterlords to get the one time use edition of dousing item which led you finish entire MC. Everything over that was just convenience (and alright fire res item). And to finish their entire quest line you didn't even need to be anything more than Honored IIRC to go with your example. Farming Hydraxian Waterlords was just for the OCD who wants to see every green filled.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The last two you list under AD rep weren't put in until the Naxxramas patch late in vanilla. The others, aside from the repeatable cauldron quests, simply involved killing mobs. Also, pretty sure most people skipped the field duty quests in Silithus save for getting one of the trinkets.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
The last two you list under AD rep weren't put in until the Naxxramas patch late in vanilla. The others, aside from the repeatable cauldron quests, simply involved killing mobs. Also, pretty sure most people skipped the field duty quests in Silithus save for getting one of the trinkets.

I didn't claim otherwise in regards of AD quests. I never claimed they were as they were during entire vanilla. Just that when it was at that point, Blizzard had practically perfected the reputation grind system and diversity of approaching it. As for Field Duty quests, you underestimate them. They also gave blues that to many classes were comparable to BWL items (Hi 15 Agi 1% hit cloak)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
All I can go by is my personal experience of being in a raiding guild. Hardly anyone did them. Maybe the casuals did? Not that there were many 'true' casuals back then like there are now. Most people would just run stuff like Zul'Gurub.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Casuals couldn't even kill trash in ZG, axe throwers and exploding bats would've made clear of them. Those rep grinds, on top of the instance runs and armor upgrades WERE the content of the game for majority of the minority that even hit level 60. That's why they were so very diversified in the end, because it was content actively done.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Weren't you a Wrath baby? How dare 'thee. And, yes, the 'casuals' of WoW yesterday could certainly down a few bosses in ZG back in t3h day. Keep in mind the casuals back then are basically the 'normal' raiding guilds now.

In TBC it switched to badge farming.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Wrath-baby? Kek, I'm a day-1 player. And TBC didn't turn into a real badge farming until 2.4

Until then badges gave mostly complimentary gear that was in most cases worse than heroic ones due to poor stats.

Zetor

Arcane
I've always been a small non-raiding guild, and our 'endgame' in vanilla was getting everyone their dungeon set and 'bis' dungeon pieces doing the tier0.5 questline (Valthalak at the expected gear level was harder than most ZG/MC bosses, btw). We grouped up with another guild to do ZG; ditto with kara in BC.

Rep grinds like AD/CC were completely stupid, though, and nobody I knew did them back in vanilla (some did them in wotlk+ to get the achievements/titles, but it wasn't much of a grind at that point). I think I got up to honored AD on most of my chars from running strat/scholo, but I couldn't be bothered to actively farm mobs or do the cauldron quests. Don't think I got past friendly with CC (you could get that far by doing quests)... that entire farm disguises and summon mobs to get drops to eventually summon bigger mobs so that in the end you may get ONE drop that's not as good as something out of Dire Maul thing was one of the most pointless grinds I've ever seen.

Aildrik

Savant
It is pretty crazy how much things have changed since Vanilla. I remember having to farm herbs on my wife's shaman and then clear into Scholo to the alchemy lab just to make flasks. Fast forward to WoD, and you don't even need mining or herbalism anymore to gather the ore and herbs in your garrison. By clearing every day on a few alts I literally have so much ores and herbs I don't know what to do with them.

I do like that there is a large variety of things to do in WoD, what with the garrison mini game, various rare mounts to camp if that is your thing, etc.

Fenris 2.0

Augur
The Feenix Servers have 3 WoW Classic Server and 1 BC Server; I played a bit on Emerald Dream, wich tried to emulate classic WoW 1:1 - the Scripting is not the best that I have seen, but better then most.

Don Peste

Arcane
Are there any unofficial servers around that would be running classic WoW? A version from before Burning Crusade launched.
pic98361.jpg

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
The Feenix Servers have 3 WoW Classic Server and 1 BC Server; I played a bit on Emerald Dream, wich tried to emulate classic WoW 1:1 - the Scripting is not the best that I have seen, but better then most.
Thanks I'll check them out.
Yeah, what he said - Emerald Dream definitely. Really has that vanilla community feel, at least had a year ago when I was playing. People stopping to ask you for directions, talking to each other in parties like real people, etc.

edscreen1.jpg

Undercity has that giant worm that produces green goo that's been removed so the kids wouldn't feel disgusted.

WoWScrnShot_012613_122130.jpg

Barrens has that old barrens chat.

Random people stop doing what they're doing and come to your help when you can't do those elite quests on your own if you ask them, etc...

Last edited:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Sounds good. I'm downloading it now. I missed Horde side of things in vanilla so I think I'll roll a shammy and go to town.

EDIT:

Created a fem orc shammy. Probably going to be enhancement for leveling. Did the starter area last night and it was surprisingly fun. So far so good. Amazingly, there were two other Level 1 characters that appeared at the same time as I did, which is a good indicator for server population.

Last edited:

Dire Roach

Prophet
^anyone played that?
I played it once around... ten years ago? I got the impression that the gameplay is supposed to simulate Alliance vs Horde players rushing to level up by questing and be the first on a new server to kill a specific vanilla raid boss. It's interesting enough to try it out once but it's not too great. It's too cumbersome in components and rules to play it casually and the gameplay is not deep or varied enough to keep hardcore boardgamers interested.

Avellion

Erudite
DUKMRUTRHLU31425064919799.jpg

1. Hopefully this will put a gold seller or two out of business.
2. Finally my friend who goes to college will be able to afford his textbooks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom