Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

Angthoron

Arcane
Well honestly there isn't any current MMO that would be up to my standards so I'll be sticking with private vanilla servers until Corecraft finally hits
Gasp, shameless promotion of private servers.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Just canceled my sub after rejoining a bit after 6.1's release. I don't know why it took me this long. Might come back after 6.2 if it's any good but probably not.

Edit: While I'm thinking about it, anyone have any suggestions for other MMOs to try? I did TOR for a little while but got bored fast. How are Tera, Rift, TSW, and ESO?

I'm playing classic 1.2 WoW on a private server. 6k Ally players on atm. It's a very active server and lots of fun if you want that old school WoW feel (oh god it's been 10 years, we can call classic WoW old school now). There are no gay multipliers like 3x more XP that you may find in many other private servers. This is the real deal.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
You misread the statistics. That is 6k both sides combined, one of the quirks of default ManGOS emulator

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I dunno about that, but I'll take your word for it as you are probably more knowledgeable about these private servers than I am. 6k players is still a very impressive amoun of peepst.

Revenant

This is just patently false on bigger picture, something the financial doomsayers failed to see during even the worst content droughts of MoP which should've seen sharpest declines in number. What happened now was that the people hyped for WoD dropped out, simple as that. We already saw during MoP that subs will shrink to roughly around 7 million, give or take few hundred thousand each way, then fluctuate within margin and that's just what happened now. WoD had HUGE peak of subs because of the most aggressive marketing campaign in Blizzard's history, as well as creating the false premise in return to TBC roots.

Now we're back to the core subscriber level which will remain the same for the future to come, if not only for that being the stable core of their playerbase, but also because of the token system where people just extend their sub with gold, scheme which is even more profitable to Blizzard due to it's higher cost per month to buyer (20e / month token vs 13e/month sub in EU).
Yeah and what do you imagine will happen when all subscribers find out that they can buy raiding gear with real money? Do you think many will stick around after this? And that's only keeping the current PTR in mind, one can only imagine what further gold (a. k. a. real money) sinks will be introduced as time goes by.

Zeriel

Arcane
I'm not playing and the game is shit, but let's be real, ethereum/apexis gear is not "raiding gear" if that's what you're referring to by gold for gear. It's not even decent gear, either, it's utter trash only useful for boosting your ilvl.

Angthoron

Arcane
I'm not playing and the game is shit, but let's be real, ethereum/apexis gear is not "raiding gear" if that's what you're referring to by gold for gear. It's not even decent gear, either, it's utter trash only useful for boosting your ilvl.
Pretty much.

Itemization is ubershit except if you're the one lucky class for whom the stat values are actually better than any given LFR item. Crafted gear shits all over it, and you could buy that with gold any time.

Zeriel

Arcane
Pretty much.

Itemization is ubershit except if you're the one lucky class for whom the stat values are actually better than any given LFR item. Crafted gear shits all over it, and you could buy that with gold any time.

Not to mention new 5 man gear being Mythic BRF ilvl. :')

(Although I guess new crafted gear will be even better.)

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
This is just patently false on bigger picture, something the financial doomsayers failed to see during even the worst content droughts of MoP which should've seen sharpest declines in number. What happened now was that the people hyped for WoD dropped out, simple as that. We already saw during MoP that subs will shrink to roughly around 7 million, give or take few hundred thousand each way, then fluctuate within margin and that's just what happened now. WoD had HUGE peak of subs because of the most aggressive marketing campaign in Blizzard's history, as well as creating the false premise in return to TBC roots.

Now we're back to the core subscriber level which will remain the same for the future to come, if not only for that being the stable core of their playerbase, but also because of the token system where people just extend their sub with gold, scheme which is even more profitable to Blizzard due to it's higher cost per month to buyer (20e / month token vs 13e/month sub in EU).
Yeah and what do you imagine will happen when all subscribers find out that they can buy raiding gear with real money? Do you think many will stick around after this? And that's only keeping the current PTR in mind, one can only imagine what further gold (a. k. a. real money) sinks will be introduced as time goes by.

Yes, I think so, because the core there is left is the one that doesn't really give a fuck about any sort of monetizing schemes Blizzard may impose onto them as long as they don't personally feel inconvenienced over the bullshit.

Revenant

So whales getting ahead of everyone else isn't "inconveniencing" in your book? You must really give zero fucks about the game anymore.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Revenant said:
So whales getting ahead of everyone else isn't "inconveniencing" in your book? You must really give zero fucks about the game anymore.

Way to over-read into things, is that a sharp edge that cleaves the way forward I see?

What I find inconvenience, they find inconvenience or what inconvenience would even be defined as in this matter are entirely different subjects. With a bit of reading comprehension you would realize I was talking about their perspective on the matter, not mine.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Just canceled my sub after rejoining a bit after 6.1's release. I don't know why it took me this long. Might come back after 6.2 if it's any good but probably not.

Edit: While I'm thinking about it, anyone have any suggestions for other MMOs to try? I did TOR for a little while but got bored fast. How are Tera, Rift, TSW, and ESO?
Don't play MMOs.

I stopped a year or two ago and my life has been so much better.

The only one I can possibly stand right now is Planetside 2.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
^ That. Who gives a shit if someone wants to spend $100 on tens of thousands of gold so they can buy entry-level raid gear. What does that get them? It's like the people who bought gear on the RMAH in D3. There's nothing to WoW other than gear acquisition. And that doesn't even buy them the best gear.

And for people wondering what MMO to go to: none. WoW was my first and last MMO. A lot of AAA single player games are aping MMO design these days, anyway.

Revenant

Gearing up for raiding has always been an important part of an MMO endgame in my book. If this process is replaced by real money-bought gear... Then maybe they should just turn the game into a blank slate raiding arena MOBA style and remove all the other content altogether?

Angthoron

Arcane
Gearing up for raiding has always been an important part of an MMO endgame in my book. If this process is replaced by real money-bought gear...
This process was killed by LFR already. Currently:

1) Hit L100
2) Go to AH, buy some random green/blue shit to bump your iLevel to whatever's acceptable for heroics (or, if lucky, LFR)
3) Do heroics til iLevel is acceptable for LFR, usually 3-4 runs. Then move on to LFR.

Voila! RIP, gearing for raids.

Fun fact: Despite this ease, many people still manage to fail at it.

Revenant

LFR is on a weekly lockdown, while other methods of farming gear (Timeless Isle or heroics) are not.

Revenant

However, there is just so much gear you can get in LFR in one week. Back in Pandaria, you could do the whole SoO LFR and wouldn't get a single useful item. That made other methods of gear acquisition very viable and in fact necessary. How can that even compare to an instantaneous full gearing for around €150, combining apexis and AH BoE craftables?

Angthoron

Arcane
Well, if you like wiping your ass with currency, by all means.

Again, to reiterate:
1) Apexis gear is shit. Shit. Shit. It's not competitive. With anything. You're better off with PvP gear that you can get by avoiding to AFK from BGs.
2) You will replace apexis gear with LFR gear immediately. And this is just LFR. There's also Normal and HC that you can run, if you're actually gearing for raiding. 2 tiers, 6 wings, "lucky charm" tokens.
3) It's a shit move combined with gold for game time, but this isn't a "win" button. Win button is paying 100K to a raid guild to take you through a Mythic run and let you have all the gear. And guess what, this has been around since Vanilla.

Revenant

The only difference is that now obtaining gold for real money is perfectly legal. You don't risk to get banned, just pay €60 and you have your achievement.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Gearing up for raiding has always been an important part of an MMO endgame in my book. If this process is replaced by real money-bought gear...

1) Hit L100
2) Go to AH, buy some random green/blue shit to bump your iLevel to whatever's acceptable for heroics (or, if lucky, LFR)
3) Do heroics til iLevel is acceptable for LFR, usually 3-4 runs. Then move on to LFR.

You forgot the last one.

4) Realize there's nothing to do if you're not going to raid or PvP and then unsub.

Angthoron

Arcane

1) Hit L100

You forgot the last one.

4) Realize there's nothing to do if you're not going to raid or PvP and then unsub.
Nonsense. There's always cybering in Goldshire/Silvermoon, another proper gold sink.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom