Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

Zetor

Arcane
Yeah, the super-low US token price is probably the best thing that's come out of my decision to play on US servers at launch (international guild). I'm p. sure a single garrison can produce more than 20k gold a month with no extra grinding required other than stuff I do already (CTA tank runs to gather random-stat 630 gear for alts and/or challenge modes).

Now if only there was anything worth subbing for in the first place...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Bought one the week it came out, played a month, earned the gold back and a ton more just selling shitty battle pets. Bought another for 20k and put it in my bag in the even I ever decide to go back to the trainwreck. And that was at level 90 without owning WoD. No idea why Euro prices are so high, can't be all attributed to fluctuations between the dollar and Euro.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
every week that 6.2 doesn't come out is more and more lost subs

Blizz must hate their own game

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Then again what I've seen of 6.2 it really is not in any way impressive patch to begin with.

Zetor

Arcane
Many of the new features have either not been tested yet or are broken as fuck, if the PTR forums are any indication (yeah yeah I know)

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Considering the patch has already come for preloading it's safe to say it's out in 2-3 weeks.

Aildrik

Savant
So soon? I mean, it takes a long time to recycle models with a green 'fel' tint!

sirsnail

Literate
Expansion packs destroy RPGs. No game shows this more than WoW. Their new content is right for their current audience, but back in the day, they dropped a bomb with every expansion. I am sure that, after Cataclysm, no one with any artistic appreciation at all hung around, but before that they did everything in their power to ruin the game; from destroying every established guild in the game with the first expansion, to requiring people to "farm" "PvP gear" to compete in what used to be a fun and integral activity in which anyone could participate. I, a high warlord, had to stoop to "farming battlegrounds", and at the start got a green dagger to replace my epic that took weeks of 20 hour days to get. That was the start of the Monty Hall-style loot in the game, with epics dropping in 5-man dungeons (and free greens replacing 40-man epics). Luckily I cashed in to the tune of $1000 before the expansion hit. These days a max level character won't sell for a tenth of that, if they don't give them out for free! Talk about deflation! I will let the modern expansions, from what I have read, slide, since it is clear they are not vying for my dollar any more.

Aildrik

Savant
Expansion packs destroy RPGs. No game shows this more than WoW. Their new content is right for their current audience, but back in the day, they dropped a bomb with every expansion. I am sure that, after Cataclysm, no one with any artistic appreciation at all hung around, but before that they did everything in their power to ruin the game; from destroying every established guild in the game with the first expansion, to requiring people to "farm" "PvP gear" to compete in what used to be a fun and integral activity in which anyone could participate. I, a high warlord, had to stoop to "farming battlegrounds", and at the start got a green dagger to replace my epic that took weeks of 20 hour days to get. That was the start of the Monty Hall-style loot in the game, with epics dropping in 5-man dungeons (and free greens replacing 40-man epics). Luckily I cashed in to the tune of $1000 before the expansion hit. These days a max level character won't sell for a tenth of that, if they don't give them out for free! Talk about deflation! I will let the modern expansions, from what I have read, slide, since it is clear they are not vying for my dollar any more.

I also did the HWL grind in Vanilla, but I have to say it was a lot more bearable because there was no cross realm BG queuing and you actually had (gasp) a tight knit community that policed itself. None of this honor farming bot crap that you have now. I was not one to RP a lot but there was certainly a pride thing in the Alliance vs Horde battles back in the day such that it was unthinkable to hear calls for a quick loss in AV just so people could get faster honor :( The PvP community was pretty awesome and the battles, especially AV, were epic and lasted days sometimes. I miss that.

Angthoron

Arcane
Yeah, I miss vanilla's PvP too. Days-long AV, AB where people actually listened what you told them to do (plus you could actually bother setting up groups and talk to people), WSG with dedicated support/defense/hunt teams... Man. :(

Avellion

Erudite
I would argue it is convenience that is destroying RPGs, rather than expansion packs.

We see devs remove inconveniences, failing to realize why those inconveniences were there in the first place. With crossrealm BGs, battlegrounds were faster, but there was no reputation or sense of community, all that was gone. No reason to play well, or to not be disruptive to your team.

I was doing a few BGs yesterday, and someone called me a noob when I urged that having more than one person defend a base would be great, and that having 13 fucking people gang up in one bloody base is not going to win us any games. When I whisper people about that little something called tactics. They flat out ignored me and went on to farm mid for honor.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
I never really cared for battlegrounds too much but I did have some of the best fun I've had in an MMO with world PvP in vanilla. The guild that I was in at the time used to have a sort of a rival guild on the Alliance side who we liked to fuck with. We even had an undercover agent on their side at one point :lol:. We had evenings reserved now and then to specifically annoy them en masse. We knew their raiding schedule, so for example one night we went to Onyxia's entrance in advance to gank them. After a while they then decided to change to MC, but our agent tipped us off of the change and we got there before they did. We then proceeded to gank them while they were trying to get from Thorium Point all the way to the MC entrance. In the end we'd wasted so much of their time they decided to cancel their raiding plans. Fun times.

Stacking up on Savory Deviate Delights and capturing Alliance boats while transformed into a pirate was pretty fun too.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
I also did the HWL grind in Vanilla, but I have to say it was a lot more bearable because there was no cross realm BG queuing

Cross realm BGs came during vanilla so you were just quick enough to do it prior to that :p.

Aildrik

Savant
I never really cared for battlegrounds too much but I did have some of the best fun I've had in an MMO with world PvP in vanilla. The guild that I was in at the time used to have a sort of a rival guild on the Alliance side who we liked to fuck with. We even had an undercover agent on their side at one point :lol:. We had evenings reserved now and then to specifically annoy them en masse. We knew their raiding schedule, so for example one night we went to Onyxia's entrance in advance to gank them. After a while they then decided to change to MC, but our agent tipped us off of the change and we got there before they did. We then proceeded to gank them while they were trying to get from Thorium Point all the way to the MC entrance. In the end we'd wasted so much of their time they decided to cancel their raiding plans. Fun times.

Stacking up on Savory Deviate Delights and capturing Alliance boats while transformed into a pirate was pretty fun too.

Early Vanilla WoW had a much stronger 'sandbox' feel to it, and I think it was a strength because player interaction then brought about such awesome moments. I loved early UO for the same reason; yes there were no raids, no bosses in dungeons per se but the kind of crazy things that happened when players essentially created the content was endless fun.

Electryon

Savant
It took me really diving in to alot of actually good games I had missed over the years playing WoW to make me realize how shallow and empty the game really is once you've gone through it the first couple times. I don't think catering to casual players in the age of Facebook and Smart Phone games was anything other than the way to go in the time we live in. What makes no sense is the stances they take that directly contradict that business model. More than anything though (and the Token proves they know this) the game just isn't worth paying ANYTHING for anymore, much less $15 dollars a month, which could be spent on any of the half dozen near masterpieces we've seen this year just from Kickstarters.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Flying wasn't never really the reason for lack of world PvP. It's a combination of far too many things to be credited onto one.

Original death stroke was the introduction of BGs. It made any sort of PvP outside of those playgrounds practically useless as the honor gains were vastly superior to the outdoor and you risked the occassional DKs that could've set your progress back few hours per one.

Second one was lessening of necessity to go outdoors, streamlining the resource gathering process and reducing crafting materials required so that it could be done faster and more efficiently, leaving more time to idle in Sanctuary city.

Then it was the Sanctuary city of Shattrath. Formerly if you tried to PvP within neutral towns, you were mauled by guards (or at least they tried), suddenly it was entirely impossible.

Flying is only fourth on the list of already caused nerfs to world PvP but it didn't really remove it, it changed the focus to be on summoning stone points from on road traveling. This was good and bad. Less spontaneous PvP but the battles to control summoning stones could be glorious.

Then we come to the real decapitator. The Dungeon tool. Click. You're inside instance. Click, you're inside instance. All from safety of your friendly neighbour Sanctuary city of Dalaran. PvP you say? Kek I return.

Lack of flying didn't really bring back outdoor PvP in WoD beyond the leveling process and initial two to four weeks which was typical process of any new expansion because after that everyone just stuck in their Sanctuary n. 2, the Garrison.

All in all, flying really had miniscule effect on anything in the broader picture.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well true but still I had more open pvp in WoD than the last years combined - even if it was mostly in the leveling process, but since I'm an altoholic I had enough to do ;)

Now flying will be available at lvl 90 so it definitely will have an impact on my world pvp experience.

Also it's not the open pvp alone, flying is just unnecessary in WoD and shows that once again the whiners win. The continent is probably the smallest so far, with tiny zones stretched by a lot of walls and now you are supposed to cross it even faster? People are whining about having nothing to do so they want to speed up everything even more?

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, I agree that flying mounts are in general bad design as the content itself isn't built around it like it was say, in TBC. Just that it's more of a symptom than a cause in world PvP.

Avellion

Erudite
This cutscene is whats next for WoW

Rough translation

Archimonde: Gul'dan, you signed a pact with me!
Gul'dan: No!
Durotan: Finally, it's all over.
Hellscream: Gul'dan was defeated. Now, the horde is free again!
Yrel: You think it is not over yet?
Khadgar: Gul'dan and his demon masters are not so easily defeated. I am afraid this is only the beginning.
Yrel: We'll help you whenever you need us.
Khadgar: So long, until we meet again. Look after yourself.
Yrel: A wise man once told me, the light will let us live forever. The future is ours. We will stand together and rebuild Draenor.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
What a shocker... Gul'Dan escapes paving the way to the next expansion. Everyone saw that coming a mile away.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Original death stroke was the introduction of BGs.
The original death stroke to opvp was Blizzard doing an U-Turn of historical proportions mid-development that doomed an entire genre for decades, because a certain designer was a massive faggot. Never forget, never forgive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom