Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Huh? Maybe I'm missing the reference but WoW has always been PvE-centric. People did open world PvP because there was little else to do pre-battlegrounds.

Delterius

Arcane
I once tried to pin point the exact moment when the Warcraft story jumped the shark but sometimes the whole expansion lineup seems like an entire series of sharks. Case in point: time travel to old Draenor. I used to joke about Blizzard time travelling everyone to an expansion where Warcraft 3 never happened and then something even worse happened.

Caim

Arcane
I once tried to pin point the exact moment when the Warcraft story jumped the shark but sometimes the whole expansion lineup seems like an entire series of sharks. Case in point: time travel to old Draenor. I used to joke about Blizzard time travelling everyone to an expansion where Warcraft 3 never happened and then something even worse happened.
Quick, start making jokes about Warcraft being good!

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Quick, start making jokes about Warcraft being good!

You can subjectively enjoy things based on various factors while they are objectively bad, even when you know it to be so.

2deep

Aildrik

Savant

Yeah two comments to this.

1. Time travel (IMHO) is just an awful, awful plot device. One of the first huge issues I thought of for WoD is, what happens if the Burning Legion from that timeline comes to present Azeroth? If players can move back and forth, and we can be invaded from Draenor it isn't a huge leap of logic to ask why Kil'Jaeden couldn't come through and shake hands with himself. Of course, Blizzard's clumsy answer to all this was "well, its not a time travel expansion"... "Don't think about those things it doesn't really apply". Horseshit. It was just an awful idea.

2. Blizzard set up a lot of cool lore and expansion possibilities in Vanilla and even TBC. We keep finding Titan bases and WMDs so why not expand on that storyline a little? The ethereals from TBC I thought could have opened up some possibilities. It seems to me there are some very compelling places we could visit off-world. Why the hell did it have to be alternate Draenor in the past?

I can't put this expansion behind me fast enough. Cancelled my subscription a few weeks ago.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Just wait for the movie. Flying Dalaran in Warcraft 1 era practically confirmed already.

Delterius

Arcane
Just wait for the movie. Flying Dalaran in Warcraft 1 era practically confirmed already.
Explain yourself villain!
It was just an awful idea.
In a way its both awful and wise. The writing department is well aware of their own irrelevance and impotence, they know they can't get most people to care about the story and those precious few who do won't ever like whatever they put out, so they resurrect characters over and over again. This particular shark is not so different, except that an entire civilization was resurrected. Furthermore, one could see this whole thing as the natural conclusion of the Theme Park MMO: YOU TOO CAN SHAKE HANDS WITH DUROTARNRAKS>D<asd.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I don't see why Dalaran always being able to fly is so lore shattering. Of course... you'd think they'd have just taken off when the Scourge arrived on their doorstep in WC3. And Night Elves obviously existed thousands of years before the events of WC1 it's just they had no contact with the Eastern Kingdoms. Well... save for Quel'Thalas.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I'm currently dipping my toes in the lv1-20 f2p, deciding if it's worth my time to sink back into the addiction and unlock my old lv80s.

Bleurgh, barrens D:

Quatlo

Arcane
I'm currently dipping my toes in the lv1-20 f2p, deciding if it's worth my time to sink back into the addiction and unlock my old lv80s.

Bleurgh, barrens D:
Its not. There is no game at max level, and leveling is just going as fast as you can to get to the max level.
And you play random dungeons with semi-inteligent bots.

Revenant

My biggest beef with this game right now is that F2P accounts aren't able to /say or emote to characters 10 or more levels higher than them (essentially level 30 and above), thus preventing role-playing with the F2P account. Fuck this bullshit

Zetor

Arcane
Is Nostalrius planning to move to BC eventually, or is it going to stay vanilla? Because vanilla was kinda trrbl for the most part...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Bleurgh, barrens D:
Just play on a private server. The community has gone downhill since Wrath. All you'd be doing is leveling through Cata and MoP content then dicking around in Tanaan Jungle assuming you shell out the $30 for WoD. Unless you're in a guild the game is essentially Diablo 3.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Is Nostalrius planning to move to BC eventually, or is it going to stay vanilla? Because vanilla was kinda trrbl for the most part...

They will open a TBC server where you can migrate your character who's in the vanilla server. When it will happen is anyone's guess, but I'd say give them another 5 years minimum.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I recall having to jump through all kinds of hoops last time I tried a private server. WEird torrents to find an old client, digging through partially dead sites to find UI mods for old versions (because fuck the default WoW UI) and after finally getting onto a server things were laggy and several quests and features were either buggy or missing altogether. :|

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I recall having to jump through all kinds of hoops last time I tried a private server. WEird torrents to find an old client, digging through partially dead sites to find UI mods for old versions (because fuck the default WoW UI) and after finally getting onto a server things were laggy and several quests and features were either buggy or missing altogether. :|

Well to be fair Nostalrius works really well and is incredibly easy to set up. It's good scripted and lags aren't too bad despite the huge population - and the population size is at the same time the biggest issue, it is waaaay too crowded so it's a gankfest

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom