Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
And Scrooge only likes gankfests she started?

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I recall having to jump through all kinds of hoops last time I tried a private server. WEird torrents to find an old client, digging through partially dead sites to find UI mods for old versions (because fuck the default WoW UI) and after finally getting onto a server things were laggy and several quests and features were either buggy or missing altogether. :|
Sounds like you had a particularly bad experience. The servers I tried all linked me directly to a torrent and one even had a bigass collection of old mods for download for use with the old client. There were some errors and issues, but it was totally playable.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Most of the areas are packed, not just the starter areas. It only starts evening out at the late 40's through 50's areas. I've given up on questing as it's a waste of time and just grind shit. Much faster than waiting and fighting for specific quest spawns.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I once tried to pin point the exact moment when the Warcraft story jumped the shark
Some time around Warcraft 1, when it was hurr good humans vs hurr evil orcs?

It's like trying to pin point the exact moment Diablo's awesomely complex story jumped the shark.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Most of the areas are packed, not just the starter areas. It only starts evening out at the late 40's through 50's areas. I've given up on questing as it's a waste of time and just grind shit. Much faster than waiting and fighting for specific quest spawns.
IIRC outside of STV, grinding is likely faster anyways

Zetor

Arcane
In vanilla you were kinda expected to grind between 40 and 50 (nomads and pirates in tanaris, low-end stuff in felwood, sorrow hill) because there just weren't enough quests.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I recall having to jump through all kinds of hoops last time I tried a private server.

No hoops for Nostalrius at least. One-click download, one-click install, bam. Played for two weeks and experienced one server disconnect that lasted for 20 minutes, and no server lag.

I'm surprised myself, to be honest.

Revenant

So, Blizzard tossed me 7 days of free game time after 3 months of inactivity and launched me into the business of gold making - farmed 20k in one day and got a WoW Token already :yeah:

These Timewalking dungeons. Are they available already or will they be open exclusively on featured weekends? Can't find much info about particular dates. I remember them being touted as 6.2 features, so did I miss some already or no?

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Revenant How did you make that much money so fast? Share your secrets please :3

Also:

6.2 is meh. The Tanaan Jungle thing is ok-ish and gearing up again in PvP is addictive as always but else... they nerfed a lot of toy items, some that were around since vanilla. The Piccolo now only makes your own character dance, wtf. Even Noggenfogger got nerfed. It's ridiculous.

And they nerfed treasure garrison missions to the ground, I have no idea how to make gold anymore. The inn now is basically completely useless aside for creating an endless army of followers. So now you have all these goldsinks in the game but at the same time they take away every method to make money and they justify it by "people feeling the need to have alts", what in the name of fuck? You make heirlooms easily available for gold and then say that people shouldn't feel the need to twink?! And when you play alts you cannot even afford them anymore because how in gods name do you make money! And no alt ever will be able to build their garrisons because of NO MONEY!

I have no idea what they are doing. Are they trying to ruin the game on purpose? Do they want to kill it so they can go F2P? Do they want to force people into buying their tokens?

The treasure missions nerf and the toy nerfs are really pissing me off, more than anything so far this expansion. And Blizzard is so smug and arrogant, I cannot even put to words how annoyed I am.

Will this finally lead to me quitting my sub? Stay tuned for next week's episode of "Scrooge pays for a game she kinda hates"

Ninjerk

Arcane
Revenant How did you make that much money so fast? Share your secrets please :3

Also:

6.2 is meh. The Tanaan Jungle thing is ok-ish and gearing up again in PvP is addictive as always but else... they nerfed a lot of toy items, some that were around since vanilla. The Piccolo now only makes your own character dance, wtf. Even Noggenfogger got nerfed. It's ridiculous.

And they nerfed treasure garrison missions to the ground, I have no idea how to make gold anymore. The inn now is basically completely useless aside for creating an endless army of followers. So now you have all these goldsinks in the game but at the same time they take away every method to make money and they justify it by "people feeling the need to have alts", what in the name of fuck? You make heirlooms easily available for gold and then say that people shouldn't feel the need to twink?! And when you play alts you cannot even afford them anymore because how in gods name do you make money! And no alt ever will be able to build their garrisons because of NO MONEY!

I have no idea what they are doing. Are they trying to ruin the game on purpose? Do they want to kill it so they can go F2P? Do they want to force people into buying their tokens?

The treasure missions nerf and the toy nerfs are really pissing me off, more than anything so far this expansion. And Blizzard is so smug and arrogant, I cannot even put to words how annoyed I am.

Will this finally lead to me quitting my sub? Stay tuned for next week's episode of "Scrooge pays for a game she kinda hates"
:nocountryforshitposters:

Zetor

Arcane
I'm pretty sure they're cutting gold faucets and adding in mandatory gold sinks (as well as high-ilevel gear to buy with gold) to drive up token prices.

Can't fault them for getting the best of both worlds (sub fee and f2p/p2w moneygrab)!

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
It's like trying to pin point the exact moment Diablo's awesomely complex story jumped the shark.

But you got demons fighting angels, and the humans in the middle. It’s dark so it’s deep, as any recent movie based on a comic book series can attest.

Revenant

Revenant How did you make that much money so fast? Share your secrets please :3 <...> And they nerfed treasure garrison missions to the ground, I have no idea how to make gold anymore.
That's why relying on cooldown based gold income, be it missions, profession crafting or whatever, is always a temporary and fickle way to make money. To farm gold efficiently, you need a method that doesn't have any kind of cooldown and you can repeat it indefinitely. The most lucrative of these is, of course, sniping the AH, but that requires some knowledge of TSM and a bit of tedious setup, so it's not for everyone. I myself farm transmog items instead and then sell them on the AH. Watch this guide, for instance:

This will earn you all the gold that you need for a token and more, albeit over a longer amount of time, as it takes time for transmog items to sell. As for how to farm 20k in one day: felblight. If you have a maxed out gathering profession, you can get up to a dozen of these per hour just fucking around in Tanaan, and they used to sell for 500 gold each a few days ago, but now their price dropped to 300 or so and will probably further decrease. Actually, a lot of crafting mats other than felblight sell for a lot of gold on the AH, such as ores and Draenic fish flesh. You can farm these instead if the competition in Tanaan is too rough on your server.

Cheers and happy gold farming!

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
I educate Blizzard in making their game because they're incompetent without me. And I lost another epic ship. Fuck it.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/15161296611#1

Since you haven't yet hired me as your designer (mistake of epic propotions) I'll freely pass these notes for you.

When missions fail, don't give the stupid either if roll on survival. Target the upgrades and have them be destroyed instead. Increase the cost of each upgrade to a point where repairs do matter.

If ship is without upgrades and is hit (or hit twice and only on one upgrade), instead of sinking it use that scenario system you have in place. Make varied scenarios out of them where you have to fly to the aid of your fleet (see, actual applicable use for the flight instead of being just plain convenience). Then if player fails that scenario, only then sink the ship. But let there be at least some sort of personal involvement.

Use that under-utilized scenario system. Let player engage in these various naval missions and promote it by increasing the reward based on player performance on each mission.

With these few simple changes you would lessen the RNG, increase the player involvement, add reward-vs-risk and most importantly make the process more interactive.

And please don't give out the age old, over-blown, twice chewn over, spat-out and then licked back in excuse of time based on art or systems.

Scenario system exists.
Art exists.

Scripting simple tasks is not a difficult thing to do especially after creation of a template. It would only be overwhelming tax on your time if your tools themselves were awful to use. And if that's the case then there's some deep internal discussions you lot need to do.

Posted on Blizzard forums too henche lots of "yous".

'cause I'm lazy and fuck editing.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm pretty sure they're cutting gold faucets and adding in mandatory gold sinks (as well as high-ilevel gear to buy with gold) to drive up token prices.

Can't fault them for getting the best of both worlds (sub fee and f2p/p2w moneygrab)!
That might be part of it but they would have to have eventually nerfed it when the next expansion came out, anyway, so people didn't just dick around in garrisons.

Re: suggestions for WoW... why do you people even bother? The game is creatively dead. They have the most employees working on it in the history of the game and yet they produce around half the content?

WoD had (and I'm too lazy to look it up so feel free to correct my numbers):

- 6 dungeons
- 3 raids (only two tiers)
- Timless Isle clone
- Oh wow there's nothing else I can add... just rehashed shit like Timewasterwalker and MYTHIC dungeons (i.e., too lazy to create new dungeons so we'll just tweak numbers).

You can ask: How do you make less content with more people and more money? The obvious answer is: because they don't give a shit. The only thing people cancel over is dumb shit like flying. And it's a simple matter of flipping a switch and turning it on to recoup around a million subs-worth of morons.

WoW will not improve because they make barrels of money doing the least amount possible. It's the same for Hearthstone and HoTS and those are there major IP's now. Starcraft and Derpablo are pretty much done for another five or six years.

Last edited:

Wilian

Arcane
Patron

Actually the way system works, that would drive token prices down, not up.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So I'm lv89 on my Death Knight in Pandaria. At the moment I'm alchemy/herbalism on him. Does anyone have a good source on what to do with professions once I hit 90 and Draenor content sometime tonight? Do I stick with herb/alchemy? Do I swap alchemy for mining? Do I go mining/blacksmithing? Help me obi wan pandoki! You're my only hopw!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom