Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I never get to play vanilla, i started to play in burning crusade through wotl and ended in pandaria. Burning crusade was most fun and it was going downhill since.

Those who remember 2h windfury shaman know what im talking of, when it procced in pvp, dem feels.

Although i had to admit it started getting dumbed down already in BC, when horde got paladin and alliance shaman.

Be sure that next expansion will unify all classes into one and there will be 1 talent.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
At least you got to experience WoW at its peak, although you would probably appreciate the changes more had you played Vanilla first. WotLK wasn't awful but it was the beginning of the decline.

Ash_Firelord

Educated
At least you got to experience WoW at its peak, although you would probably appreciate the changes more had you played Vanilla first. WotLK wasn't awful but it was the beginning of the decline.

I have fonder memories of WotLK than of TBC. The world / continent felt a bit more cohesive, whereas Outlands were a big quest amusement park / ride. Raids and instances were also more varied. DKs were OP as hell but even after being nerfed to balance, remain as one of the most enjoyable classes.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
I called it since Burning Crusades. Back then I thought they were actually gonna be the new classes of BC, which would have made sense, and the movie would come out soon after. In truth they didn't need those because BC was reaping subs faster than was already expected. It's obvious they were keeping these assets for when they would really start losing the inflow of subs, to try and bring back their old fans. Because not half of the current userbase is old enough to know FT's main antagonist, same for the plot of WC1 and WC2 which the movie is gonna cover. I assume WC4 might be a thing in the far future to hype for a WoW2 if it ever happens, the same way they did the first time. If RTSs aren't declared dead by then.

bDlrz7F.png

^ What's so funny about this picture is that it's literally what Guldan does in the trailer.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I have fonder memories of WotLK than of TBC. The world / continent felt a bit more cohesive, whereas Outlands were a big quest amusement park / ride. Raids and instances were also more varied. DKs were OP as hell but even after being nerfed to balance, remain as one of the most enjoyable classes.
Wrath was better from an aesthetic point of view. Icecrown is probably one of the best designed zones in the game. TBC/Outland looked like utter shit, as did the instances. Still, the level of challenge (before the nerfs) was appropriate and fun. Wrath was the end of crowd control in dungeons but the difficulty was still acceptable.

Zetor

Arcane
Yeah, Wrath was a high point IMO, in almost every way except pvp. As much as people like to shit on WOTLK for its 'easy dungeons', there was still plenty of stuff in there that could wipe you when you didn't insanely overgear it -- especially in the dungeons that were added later, such as Halls of Reflection.

My power ranking (that I am sure everyone deeply cares about) is Wrath >= BC > Cata > WoD > MoP > Vanilla. I still liked vanilla back in 2004-5, but I couldn't stand playing it now, so much shit was insanely broken back then. BC design still holds up just fine, though...

Revenant

WoD better than MoP and Cata better than both of them, are you serious? MoP at least had a coherent and complete storyline plus a lot of activity aside from raiding, like interesting profession content (crafting mounts and pets), raising reps through daily quests, even managing your farm was way more interesting than garrison bullshit. Also, MoP had 4 major raids and 1 lair-like smaller raid, while WoD has THREE raids total, a new epitome in designer laziness. And Cata must be the worst WoW expansion to date, seeing as it destroyed half the old content replacing it with pop culture references and the only good thing about that expansion being the original leveling zones.

The correct WoW power ranking is TBC > Wrath > MoP > WoD > Cata, with Vanilla standing either before or after everything else according to the strength of personal nostalgia goggles.

Zetor

Arcane
WoD better than MoP and Cata better than both of them, are you serious? MoP at least had a coherent and complete storyline plus a lot of activity aside from raiding, like interesting profession content (crafting mounts and pets), raising reps through daily quests, even managing your farm was way more interesting than garrison bullshit. Also, MoP had 4 major raids and 1 lair-like smaller raid, while WoD has THREE raids total, a new epitome in designer laziness. And Cata must be the worst WoW expansion to date, seeing as it destroyed half the old content replacing it with pop culture references and the only good thing about that expansion being the original leveling zones.

The correct WoW power ranking is TBC > Wrath > MoP > WoD > Cata, with Vanilla standing either before or after everything else according to the strength of personal nostalgia goggles.
Personal preference. I'm not a raider, so I put Cata up there because it had WAY better dungeons than any of the other expansions (WOTLK and BC dungeons were still good, just enjoyable in different ways). I don't really care about the storyline in WOW one way or another, so the Cata idiocy doesn't register (besides, Green Jesus is everywhere in MOP and WOD, too). WOD has much, much more enjoyable leveling content than MOP, and the same non-raid activities that I care about (challenge modes, brawler's guild, proving grounds) are still present and just as good or even better. PVP was also complete crap in MOP... it's still crap in WOD, but slightly less so. IMO the only expansion where PVP wasn't crap was BC before they opened the later raids and everyone started to run around in OP tier6 gear.

Also, daily quests can die in a fire. When I'm playing, I want to do actual interesting and challenging content instead of trivial chores designed to waste my time just to grind some rep or whatever.

Last edited:

Angthoron

Arcane
PvP went crap the moment they started thinking too much on how to work out gear progressions separately from PvE. I understand why they did it (though even a coordinated pug could steamroll a Tier 2.5 team of idiots, been there, coordinated that), but that's pretty much when it happened, when PvP became a separate "module" from PvE. That's when a lot of people pretty much ditched it altogether, too, since the sets were mostly fucking ugly for the casuals to grind.

Of course, in its infinite wisdom, Blizzard decided that casuals ditching PvP is happening because matches are too long, and the gear is still too unbalanced, so they went and ruined everything else - instead of tuning AV up they scaled it down to the point new players have no idea why the map is so fucking large when all you do is just rush to the finish, for example. So PvP turned into another lobby-based multi game, with THE FUCKING GAME WORLD being the lobby. And of course since teaming is random, you don't have any idea who you're playing against, or, if you're not a part of a team, with.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Dumbfuck
I liked when endgame pvp consisted of respawning again and again in azshara until you couldn't afford respawn costs and they took the world event in front of your corpse screen while you shit-talked their guild on the forums

Ash_Firelord

Educated
My power ranking (that I am sure everyone deeply cares about) is Wrath >= BC > Cata > WoD > MoP > Vanilla. I still liked vanilla back in 2004-5, but I couldn't stand playing it now, so much shit was insanely broken back then. BC design still holds up just fine, though...

CBA to rank them but I wouldn't put vanilla at last, as it had the very big advantage over the others of having "useless" areas and content that basically helped world-building. Everything in the exps serves a purpose and that makes it less "world" and more "game". And yes I realize Vanilla was broken, I still remember grinding random mobs for hours in Badlands because there was no suitable questing content to push me up to the next level I needed to start a new area.

WoD better than MoP and Cata better than both of them, are you serious? MoP at least had a coherent and complete storyline plus a lot of activity aside from raiding, like interesting profession content (crafting mounts and pets), raising reps through daily quests, even managing your farm was way more interesting than garrison bullshit.

I missed MoP but everyone in my guild and friendlist either calls it "faildaria" or "grindaria", and not in a lovingly way.

J1M

Arcane
Vanilla dungeons are the only ones that had an element to exploration and puzzle solving to them.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin

I'm glad someone recognices the fact that Cataclysm in fact was the worse expansion out of the WoD/Cata duo. Just seeing that some people have confusion over this is mind-boggling.

In any case, I'll tweak your power ranking of the expansions a bit, it's a tad inaccurate.

TBC > MoP > Wrath > WoD > Cata

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm glad someone recognices the fact that Cataclysm in fact was the worse expansion out of the WoD/Cata duo. Just seeing that some people have confusion over this is mind-boggling.

In any case, I'll tweak your power ranking of the expansions a bit, it's a tad inaccurate.

TBC > MoP > Wrath > WoD > Cata
lol no

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The addition of scenarios alone (shitting on five man dungeon resources) is enough to sink MoP to the gutter.

Zetor

Arcane
"MoP: We put daily quests in your daily quests so you can do your chores while you're doing your chores, dawg."

The only reason MoP is better than total garbage is because it finally introduced some new gameplay modes for non-raiders (challenge modes especially, but brawler's guild and PG were nice too). Levelling content was pretty crap (WoD is actually the best at this, followed by WOTLK). Farmville, daily quests, and daily quest islands can die in a fire.

J1M

Arcane
I'm curious how much of MoP's inflated ratings are due to timeless isle.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I may be of fsince i wasn't around for Cata/MoP, but going through their PvE content while levellign to 100, I'd rate them:

TBC > Wrath = Vanilla > MoP = WoD > Cata

There was some decline in Wrath over Vanilla, but at the same time there was a lot of QoL upgrades over Vanilla as well. Even if some of it came in form of mods. I also really liked the bossfights in Ulduar, so maybe I'm biased.

Cata was especially retarded with the only new areas outside starter zones being the underwater shit that was hell for melee classes, the burning omuntain which was nothing new and interesting and the underground area that was marginally interesting but seemed to lack content density.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom