Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

J1M

Arcane
If Blizzard were to release a new MMO though people would have to decide between either that or WoW to pay monthly fees for. But I don't think a lot of people will pay for both.

So what if WoW and that hypothetical new MMO ran on the same subscription? Would that work?
They would charge separate subscriptions until they could make more money by charging for a bundled subscription. Just like any other business.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Hearthstone>Heroes of the Storm>MMO turned into a TF2 clone. What do these things have in common? The next 'game' you'll see from Blizzard will probably be some sort of phone/tablet friendly 'followers' thing a la sending people off to do missions from your Garrison.

They will never make an MMO because the sub based MMO is slowly becoming a thing of the past.

Divinity: Original Sin 2
if every studio starts to create simplistic farmville clones, because it's easy profit, there will be a void for old-school MMO (or whatever you want to call it). market will become saturated with shelfware and we'll have indies to fill that niche. i have no problem with that.

i don't understand why WoW cannot run on f2p model. it's fine model as long as there is a content (you know... other than microtransactions) i'm not sure in which universe people spend money/time on games without it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
grindDemBadges.png

Timewaster dungeons working as intended.

if every studio starts to create simplistic farmville clones, because it's easy profit, there will be a void for old-school MMO

A void only exists if there's demand for it. A lot of the people who played 'old school' MMO's are in their mid thirties to forties now. Five to ten years from today... yeah... the market won't be there.

Divinity: Original Sin 2
A void only exists if there's demand for it. A lot of the people who played 'old school' MMO's are in their mid thirties to forties now. Five to ten years from today... yeah... the market won't be there.
it's based on assumption people in mid thirties to fifties don't play games. i don't think that's true. maybe it was 10 years ago.

Atomkilla

Arcane
The assumption is that fat, depressed WoWtards in their forties are soon going to die of diabetes, suicide or some-such, therefore no market.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
it's based on assumption people in mid thirties to fifties don't play games. i don't think that's true. maybe it was 10 years ago.
There's 'don't play games' and there's 'have time/desire to play an MMO when you're 40-50 years old.'

abija

Prophet
i don't understand why WoW cannot run on f2p model. it's fine model as long as there is a content (you know... other than microtransactions) i'm not sure in which universe people spend money/time on games without it.
Because they can eat the cake and keep it too. Monthly fee + digital shop, everyone's wet dream.
There's nothing to gain from going f2p, their whales are already playing the game and throwing money at it.

Something to keep in mind about Blizzard: they'll "soon" have 6 major titles out and only 1 of those has actual competition. They know the market pretty damn well and all the "we just focused on the game didn't really think about the business model" answers they give in interviews are just PR bullshit.

People still play WoW? People on the Codex still play WoW? :what:

Look, it was a great game in its time (Vanilla, TBC), but its not even an MMO now. It's like an arcade of interrelated mini-games.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
What MMO is even worth playing these days? Is Ultima Online still running? What MMO offers a better experience than WoW vanilla?

Aren't there servers that stick solely to Vanilla?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
There are. Even with x1 experience. And they're introducing content at the pace of vanilla, so they started without BGs, then introduced WSG, etc etc. I leveled up a 50 lvl hunter on Emerald Dream, it was the best MMO experience I've had in a very very very long time.

What MMO offers a better experience than WoW vanilla?
Mostly MUDs I think. I suppose UO could also, but I never got into that game.

Ninjerk

Arcane
What MMO is even worth playing these days? Is Ultima Online still running? What MMO offers a better experience than WoW vanilla?

Rebirth and Nost are, I believe, both Vanilla. I think Nost might eventually add TBC iirc.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I've never really been interested in them because I think most, if not all, are PvP. And, yes, I'm a carebear!

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Are these official servers? Do they implement some of the BC stuff but with the vanilla approach?
No, a LOT of people requested official Vanilla servers, but they refused and said this would never go forward with it.

I think the problem here is that if they actually opened Vanilla servers, there'd be so many people playing on them, that it would be obvious that their new changes are complete shit. It would reveal their incompetency. Jobs would be on the line. Nobody at Blizzard wants that, so they just avoid the situation entirely.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Reason they don't have vanilla/tbc/wrath servers is, indeed, mostly a pride thing. They don't want to admit the 'improvements' they made have been for nothing. Moreover it would discourage people from buying their shitty expansions every two years. Still... they caved on a lot of other issues and as they continue to push the game closer to F2P with microtransactions I think 'legacy' servers are closer to becoming a reality. Figure another two or three years depending on how their latest expac does.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yeah, they aren't official so you need to download an older client and go through some setup.

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Of the people I have run in to that play WoW in UA they are playing on private servers with WoTLK, some just vanilla.
Pretty popular here. Ofc, they are not going to dish out +/- 300 rph a month when their salary may be around 1000-3000 rph a month :/
Not too mention the not so good ping to commercial servers, language barriers, etc.
Wasn't the kid who completed WoW Ukrainian?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom