Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

He was a lead designer on vanilla diablo 3, that should tell you all you need to know. You can google for extra nonsense regarding this douche if you want to know more though.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Holy fuck, they streamlined muh runes away? :lol:

Whats next? Infinite runic power like they did with mana?

FFS blizzard. Just give me a jump/dash and leave everything else as-is

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The time of the melee hunter has returned. All of those early Vanilla Survival spec guys were a decade ahead of their time!

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
lg73DCH.jpg

735.gif
:badnews:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
He looks awful compared to two or three years ago. Guess the D3 shit aged him a decade or so.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
The priest redesign looks interesting, especially discipline. I will wait for the Warlock preview before I even think about playing Legion though.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
And now he gets to help bury WoW.
Maybe that's the idea. Blizzard needs to kill WoW, but no matter how many bad ideas they have people still play. So they bring in the expert, the man who turned loot farming into the world's most boring and pointless grind.

JustMyOnion

Educated
RxbIBpQ.jpg

pGGNSq9.png

Those are two things I remember from vanilla, although I have to admit armor went batshit crazy after Vanilla and TBC, weapons always were a bit weird. How's the story by the way? Haven't played since Cataclysm, and always had a weakness for the shlock Metzen was peddling. Are they still busy with the entire "HURR DURR Varian Wrynn hates orcs so new conflict!" arc of the story?
Vanilla designs have been incredibly tame before the revamp of T2. Like, "standard Warcraft 3 unit" tame. Everything you posted came after this happened:
Old-new_t2.jpg

Still, even these designs follow more or less simple symbolism and shapes. They are huge and have spikes, but they're iconic and get the point across. The new stuff has spikes that have spikes that have skulls that have spikes and you're not sure if that's even plate or cloth.
Also, Thunderfury is really not an example for anything in its time. These are the sorts of weapons I remember from vanilla to Wrath:
470033.jpg
290644.jpg
137757.jpg

They're over the top, huge, they glow, but they still follow certain rules and if you were lucky you could even sorta recognize the real weapon they're based on. Unlike the overdesigned shit that's been going on since Cataclysm/MOP.

Last edited:

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Paladin: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/19955661?page=1#1

Nothing major it seems to me (last time I played was Mists though), Protection being entirely CD based is sort of boring.

For Holy they say:
But while Holy Paladins possess the heavy armor and strong defensive ability themes, in practice they spend most of their time behind the frontlines with the more fragile healers. In addition to shoring up the identities of Protection and Retribution Paladins, we’re adjusting Holy Paladin gameplay to bring them closer to the front, where they belong.

But then give

Beacon of the Lightbringer
  • Passive
  • The maximum bonus from Mastery: Lightbringer is increased by 24%, and it now increases your healing based on the target's proximity to either you or your Beacon of Light, whichever is closer.
Which would allow you to stick in the ranged group and beacon someone in the melee group, to stay with the same backline healer role. Seems odd.

J1M

Arcane
Jay Wilson is what's wrong with that picture. Lead designer part is particularly great.
Almost every designer on the WoW team has the title of lead designer. Some even have the title of Lead Designer II. :lol:

It's the kind of thing that a company does when the vice presidents have no intention of ever leaving.

The Schadenfreude moment here is that before he was demoted to a "WoW Lead Designer I", Jay Wilson was Game Director for Diablo III. :smug:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Vanilla designs have been incredibly tame before the revamp of T2. Like, "standard Warcraft 3 unit" tame. Everything you posted came after this happened:
Old-new_t2.jpg
Um... the 'old' sets were placeholders. We're talking maybe ten months into Vanilla and four or so months after Blackwing Lair was added.

Israfael

Arcane
The game has much more glaring and important problem than the flashiness of set pieces or weapons (besides, they all've been terrible since 4.3, why blizzard should put effort into it if there's transmog. Even more - all pre-raid and even raid gear in both MOP and WOD is diarrhea green or brown for the most part), when they refuse to acknowledge that the current raiding formats are killing the guild and even put snide remarks when they were asked that thing on Blizzcon ("20 man is fine, your guild's fault you cant get 20 ppl, hurr durr"). Ah well, i know literally dozens of people who quit the game over the fact that 10 man was no longer viable for top-end progression. Blizzard's loss, not the players' (who actually probably benefitted from it as it weaned them off this krokodil of MMOs)

J1M

Arcane
The only viable option long term is to introduce a new group role.

If Legion actually delivers on the promise of putting challenging and interesting 5-man content into the game, it will extend the life of the game long enough for them to grow the balls required to give the holy trinity a new sibling.

Zetor

Arcane
I'm pretty sure most WOW players never raided and don't plan to, either (LFR doesn't count).

e: regarding the 5-man stuff in Legion: the concept of "greater rift"-esque player-set difficulty where stuff keeps getting tougher with better rewards sounds OK on paper, but not making it gear-capped is stupid, and challenge modes were built around a static ilevel for a reason. If your character is not a main in a raid guild, have fun LFGing for hours because you don't have ilevel 900+ gear from the current raid tier (which would be required to 'faceroll' the current highest available dungeon level) and nobody wants to run low-end dungeons for crappy rewards. It's just GW2 fractals all over again, only with an insurmountable power gap until you get better gear.

To date, the only game that got scaling difficulty right was City of Heroes (RIP). I'm about 90% sure the current Blizzard B-team (C-team?) working on WOW will not be able to pull it off.

Last edited:

Israfael

Arcane
challenging and interesting 5-man content into the game
Yes, i think that's actually one of the better ideas they've come up in the last few years, as many people i know didn't bother with CMs because they didn't offer anything tangible (as tangible as a bunch of purple pixels can be), and many are not intersted in the mounts or t-mog sets at all. On the other hand, i have to agree with Zetor - if dungeons can be alternative to raids, then it should not be mandatory otherwise we'd have again "LFM /power 8 dungeon, require 720+ gear / curve/ etc. On yet another hand, it may stimulate people to play in guilds instead of being loners who have no social ties or obligations - a group of like-minded persons can progress in these dungeons together, without setting up ridiculous requirements so the content won't be wipeable, and have a blast together. Most of the raids, and blizzard seems to not know it, raid not for the progress (which is the thing that bothers 0.01% of the guilds in the world first race), but for fun and socializing together, and WoD basically ruined that feels.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The somewhat randomized loot was only the beginning. Now they're going full Diablo with wacky dungeon modifiers. The 'holy trinity' is fine. Adding another role is pointless. Of course adding Demon Hunters is as pointless as adding Death Knights. Both are superfluous vanity classes meant to gin up sales. Monk, at least, seemed to have a decent amount of thought put into it and produced a hybrid that could fill all three roles.

As far as whether these power dungeons will succeed. Maybe. However they've long since gutted the community needed to foster a large amount of guilds that are actually guilds and not just a random collection of strangers who barely communicate with each other.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
So I've only ever taken a character to about 30-35 in Wow. Played vanilla, some BC, some Cataclysm. I've recently started a new character on a vanilla server. So I want to ask you veterans: just how anal/finnicky are raids in terms of requirements? I've read things about all the add ons people supposedly need, having the right gear, being the right spec, having optimal dps. My main thing in any RPG has always been dungeon crawling so I'm fine with just doing instances as a major goal (last major dungeon I remember doing before I quit was Uldaman. Was very satisfying btw), but I'm just curious about this raiding business. And are they even worth all the sperging?

EDIT: upon further research, seems like Uldaman was a much hated instance. Well, it was the best one that I had come across at that point, with good bosses and such. This was after group finder was in the game, so maybe things were different before that.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom