Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
WoW general masses found out about botting huh.

I used to bot back in Wotlk I think... Farmed Honor to get me started on the pvp gear whenever I'd level up a new character. It usually took a week to get everything, so I'd just let my character run BGs for a week. The bot played below average, so it was a dick move for my team. Never got banned. Once you see how it plays, you can easily spot other botters. Saw a LOT of them even back then, in a 10vs10 BG there was usually 2-3 botters. Good bots are undetectable. You run them on another windows user and so your WoW.exe simply doesn't have access to that part of memory where your bot is running => literally no way to detect it software-wise. Unless Windows memory management changes in future releases, there's no way to detect it.

Bots ruined poker about ~4 years ago. Now they're ruining wow pvp (even though it's already shit anyway). Next thing, they'll ruin LoL/Dota2 (which is already happening a little). Then they'll just ruin every game that's going to come out.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Revenant

In a good game, a bot could never compete with a competent player. In Q3A, bots didn't have a chance against a decent player.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's not a bot in that sense. It's scripts where people are using kick detects (he shows where he was getting kicked within a 0.1-0.3 second time frame to interrupt a spell), flying hacks, being able to reapply a dot with a fraction of a second it gets dispelled, etc.

Zetor

Arcane
It's not a bot in that sense. It's scripts where people are using kick detects (he shows where he was getting kicked within a 0.1-0.3 second time frame to interrupt a spell), flying hacks, being able to reapply a dot with a fraction of a second it gets dispelled, etc.
Yea, this has been a problem for a long while... and is going to remain a problem for any game that delegates anything important to the client-side (which is basically any online game with real-time action). Only thing you can really do is some anomaly detection and manual observation of accounts who are constantly being "too good" at interrupts and stuff like that. Or, more realistically, wait for your players to report them, such as in that post. Much of wow pvp 'skill' has always revolved around interrupts / juking (25% mind games, 75% who has better latency), and that's nullified by these hacks.

Other than the straight-up speed/fly hacks, back in vanilla you had addons that did very similar things. I remember some warlock mod that used the felhunter to auto-dispel and interrupt critical spells (but only those), kill important totems, etc. Thus the player could focus on the important stuff like mashing the fear button while frantically backpedaling and keyboard turning. The more things change, the more they stay the same, etc.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Only thing you can really do is some anomaly detection and manual observation of accounts who are constantly being "too good" at interrupts
Nope. Tell your algorithm to perform really good only 50% of the time and you're undetectable again.

I'm afraid the reality is that at some point, people who want to experience competitive gameplay will have to lift their asses and actually go to internet cafes again.

Idiott

Arcane
Legion adds a Treasure Demon that will start casting an Escape Portal when you engage. It appears to activate a counter that counts down as it escapes, possibly giving you more loot if you kill it faster. It drops Sanctuary Coins.

ZBqKPpU.png

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Jesus christ isn't one diablo 3 enough?!
lg73DCH.jpg

He's like a shittier version of Ed Greenwood.

Funny enough, I think Diablo-craft is an improvement over Garrison-craft. Good enough to play for a month or so then quit to see what horrors the next expansion brings.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Eh, pruning doesn't bother me despite all the PvP tryhards whining about it. As far as PvE goes in Burning Crusade most dps had a one or two button 'rotation.' I'd prefer fights that focus more on movement, boss mechanics, interacting with the environment than juggling half a dozen cooldowns, DoTS, and temporary buffs.

I would fucking kill for five man dungeons that required CC and intelligent pulls.

Yeah but with pruning in the way its being used right now, you ain't gonna see none of that sweet ass gameplay anymore.

Removing a few redundant skills is one thing, removing pretty much every single interesting ability (that's only useful in very specific situations) is just bad, not to mention streamlining of specs, forcing people to use (for example) only fire spells in fire spec and such. There's no variety anymore, no reactivity either, no "on the move" thinking, skill ceiling is incredibly low nowadays, compared to vanilla even. Creative usage of game mechanics is being actively punished over and over again, ever since WOTLK.

And PvP is just dead at this point, not much else to say about it. I still remember (believe it was WOTLK) playing arena on my warrior, with a shaman friend of mine... When rogues (and mages) were bane of everyone's existence, especially shammies and how I was able to 'catch' cheap shot opener on my friend with Intervene. And how good it felt to pull something like that in a few clutch moments. Pretty sure half of warrior's reactive abilities are being canned in Legion (fear, spell reflect, stance dancing etc). Game's becoming a button mash simulator, no finesse to it.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Jesus christ isn't one diablo 3 enough?!
lg73DCH.jpg

He's like a shittier version of Ed Greenwood.

Funny enough, I think Diablo-craft is an improvement over Garrison-craft. Good enough to play for a month or so then quit to see what horrors the next expansion brings.

The random treasures scattered around the questing areas of draenor had Wilsons design pedigree all over it... And it was the best part of the expansion.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Which is saying something. Might have said it already but I'm a fan of the new legendary system in Legion. It reminds me of vanilla when epics didn't fall out of the sky. You found stuff like Taran Icebreaker or some other cool BoE epic drop and you were like ERMAGERD I HAVE T3H POWWWWWWWWWWWWWAH! People used epics as low as mid 50ish at 60 because itemization was shit in general so good epics were better than level cap greens/rares. Eventually, though, they got their head out of their asses a year or so into vanilla with places like Zul'Gurub and Dire Maul.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Except when you look at pre-raid best-in-slot lists the items are largely blues and not epics. There were only very few non-60 epics, like the robe from Sunken Temple, and they were all super rare. You're misremembering.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
That's part of what I'm saying. It was before the big min/max wave of spreadsheets, Elitist Jerks forum, etc. Itemization was mediocre until the time I mentioned. Dire Maul introduced mp5 (mana regen) gear and more +defense items. +spell power gear was almost non-existent (except for greens with of fiery wrath and shit) in early/mid vanilla. Before that it was very basic stuff.

Zetor

Arcane
Vanilla itemization was completely whack. Even if we only consider PVE, there were absolutely huge performance jumps at certain points that made raiders essentially play a completely different game -- especially since many set bonuses and special trinkets changed the way core abilities worked. And then there was pvp b0rked by high-end raid gear, especially shit like the BWL lifegiving gem for warriors or double trinket fire/arcane mages.

Making a robe of the void (level 57 tailored epic) for my warlock was probably the best investment I've ever done. Pretty sure it was better for damage than anything except naxx gear (and maybe off-set AQ40 stuff), and probably better than those for affliction spec, too. Most everyone else was just happy wearing their 8-piece felheart with its shitty stats and borderline-useless set bonuses... well okay, the drain life bonus wasn't completely terrible.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The mp5 stuff was mostly for holy paladins and shaman as spirit was only decent for priests and druids and even then it was kind of meh. I think most every healer would use a good amount of mp5 gear. Can't remember when it tapered off... maybe during TBC.

As far as Legion I'm not really looking at it from a raiding perspective because I have little interest in that, anymore. MMO Diablo is fine. If I can find a cool legendary just randomly killing mobs, that's a plus. I do agree with some HARDKOREZ raiders that it's fairly moronic to put what appears to be BIS or, at least, grossly overpowered gear on outdoor mobs that you ostensibly have to farm and that perhaps it should be limited to cool perks.

I would most likely play rogue and I think these boots are a nice example of a compromise: http://legion.wowhead.com/item=133971/boots-of-wondrous-rapidity

Boots that give you a run speed increase based on your haste. Or maybe some goofy proc like the old Blackblade of Shahram from UBRS. More fun stuff so the raiders don't vaginally bleed out all over the place.

Something like: http://legion.wowhead.com/item=133800/vermuunds-beads-of-great-convergence

Seems to be pretty crazy.

Or a belt that gives you 20% reduction in cast time on heals: http://legion.wowhead.com/item=132863/cord-of-the-nightborne

Probably 'mandatory' for a HARDKOREZ raider.

Or this.... http://legion.wowhead.com/item=132461/helztstone

Holy fuck? 10% chance to avoid all damage taken on hit? Yeah I'm sure there's a cooldown but wow...

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom