Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

Israfael

Arcane
Pretty sure all of these OP items will either not work in raids or their effects would be severely diminished.

Also, what is possible that these items will work in flex difficulties (since they are shit easy anyway) and wont work in mythic. That would be hilarious as it'd create another barrier for skill progression

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, it would be pretty stupid if those legendaries worked in mythic. I think they're more intended for the low skilled mass who cannot into raiding so they can feel special or something.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
As far as what I've read they plan for them to work in all levels of raiding which is why raiders are in an uproar. Obviously things can change in 6+ months, though.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
So there was an exploit where you could buy some bag, see if there was a mount inside and if there wasn't, you could sell it back for the same price and rebuy a new one. Now blizz is looking at people who used this exploit and bans them if they've been also botting/using scripts. If they haven't, then it's just a 3 day ban for the exploit. Otherwise, it's an 18 month ban or something like that. And another wave today again apparently. People are butthurt, cause they'll miss the new addon. http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ther-banwave-for-bots?p=37914034#post37914034

Hilarious that they only ban bots if they used the bag exploit.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Vanilla itemization was completely whack. Even if we only consider PVE, there were absolutely huge performance jumps at certain points that made raiders essentially play a completely different game -- especially since many set bonuses and special trinkets changed the way core abilities worked. And then there was pvp b0rked by high-end raid gear, especially shit like the BWL lifegiving gem for warriors or double trinket fire/arcane mages.
Rank 10 (I think) PVP gear was pretty good performance-to-time/difficulty ratio though.

Especially when watching anime and then alt-tabbing back to AV every few minutes.

Zetor

Arcane
Vanilla itemization was completely whack. Even if we only consider PVE, there were absolutely huge performance jumps at certain points that made raiders essentially play a completely different game -- especially since many set bonuses and special trinkets changed the way core abilities worked. And then there was pvp b0rked by high-end raid gear, especially shit like the BWL lifegiving gem for warriors or double trinket fire/arcane mages.
Rank 10 (I think) PVP gear was pretty good performance-to-time/difficulty ratio though.

Especially when watching anime and then alt-tabbing back to AV every few minutes.
Yea, there was the typical getup of rank 10 pvp gear + exalted AV/WSG/AB stuff and it gave OK performance against most people with random gear.

Thing is, I remember a duel with my BG-geared warrior vs a random raider in mostly aq40 stuff using a hand of ragnaros and a lifegiving gem (which is not even high-level raiding -- MC and third boss of BWL). He had like 1.5x my HP pool/armor, an IWIN button in lifegiving gem, and much higher damage output than my TUF. He could basically just keyboard turn at me and DPS rotation me to death while staying in zerker stance no matter what I did (grenades, engineering trinkets, disarm, fear+bandage, jousting and stance dancing to minimize enemy hits, ...) since the power gap was so huge... iirc rage generation back in the day was based on damage done, too, which made things even worse.

Then I switched to my affliction warlock in even worse gear and killed him without getting hit at all. /balance

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Holy shit how do you people stand PvP in this game anymore? Healers are borderline immortal unless focused by half a dozen people. And the number of stuns, snares, slows, getaways, and whatever are beyond the pale. As a rogue crippling and wound poison seemed utterly useless. Glad I'm just doing it for welfare ilevel 700 gear.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well if you do pvp to get ilevel 700 gear you're probably undergeared at the moment. I can kill most healers with my DK and rogues have way better burst.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Wouldn't people with superior gear be doing rated bg's or arena? And unless I'm missing something the higher rated PvP gear is only ilevel 710. That's base I'm talking, in PvP it scales to 730 and 740 respectively. Didn't think 10 ilevels was such a huge difference.

Last edited:

Israfael

Arcane
People wanted the Crab out for ages (no balance etc), now Celestalon made them dearly wish that Ghostcrawler remained at the helm of game design

Israfael

Arcane
WoW was already heavily 'sawyerized' back on transition between WoTLK and Cata, when they removed all (half-assed) hybrid and unorthodox 2-tree dps specs, homogenized toolkits of almost all classes in order to make the game playable in 10-man raids with the same difficulty as 25-man (probably because of pvp too - they had dreams of making Arenas e-sports but it proved to be too hard for a casual viewer who grows quickly bored of cautious plays), butchered all the quests in old content and made the game oriented on the endgame (all classes were to be competitive which ironically killed their flavour and set the game onto the path of devolution into glorified team arcade)

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
What I really hate the most about what this game has become is how you don't even need to talk to other players anymore. Quests, dungeons, raids, all of it can be done by yourself or with matchmaking, and the difficulty is so low you don't even need to communicate with the other players to complete the stage. They might as well release a singleplayer version with AI bots in dungeons and raids, then just add a script to spam nonsense in the trade channel and it would be indistinguishable from the online game.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I go back and forth in my opinion of Legion/WoW. I will give Blizzard some credit, as it does appear that they are trying to refresh a 10 year old game. At the same time, the game is 10 years old, and I am not sure what else anyone could do at this point.

Give me WC4 for fucks sake.

Israfael

Arcane
It's only the lowest level of the gameplay - mythic (formerly heroic) raids require coordination and usage of special addons that enhance that coordination (angry assignments etc), and high-level pvp is also not possible without voice chat, addons like gladiator or other things i don't know about (since i dont pvp).

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
high-level pvp is also not possible without voice chat, addons like gladiator or other things i don't know about (since i dont pvp).

Also bots. :P
dqVNX2l.jpg

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, Blizzard games have gotten pretty bad in regards to cheating in recent years. Blizzard just doesn't care about half their games reputation anymore. World of Warcraft and Diablo both have an institutionalized cheating culture where bots that play the game for you are accepted. In Diablo 3 there's a mod that in addition to other things gives you wallhacks so you can see where the map will be a deadend, where a pylon/shrine is, etc, there's virtually no good players who don't use it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They've shifted towards a model where the content is either piss easy or you absolutely have to join an organized guild/PvP group whatever and use Vent if you want to participate in challenging things. I suppose that's fine but I'm of an age where I'm not interested in doing so. That being the case all WoW is good for is about a month's play time per content patch. And paying $60 for an expansion is a worse deal than paying $60 for something like Fallout 4. Odds are you'll see more unique content in Fallout 4 than WoW where most of your hours are spent repeating the same dungeons.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I will give Blizzard some credit, as it does appear that they are trying to refresh a 10 year old game. At the same time, the game is 10 years old, and I am not sure what else anyone could do at this point.
"Chess is a thousand year game, I'm not sure what else could anyone do at this point" blah blah blah. They ruined a perfectly good game. It could've went on for ages if they hadn't declined it in every possible way.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I will give Blizzard some credit, as it does appear that they are trying to refresh a 10 year old game. At the same time, the game is 10 years old, and I am not sure what else anyone could do at this point.
"Chess is a thousand year game, I'm not sure what else could anyone do at this point" blah blah blah. They ruined a perfectly good game. It could've went on for ages if they hadn't declined it in every possible way.

MMOs are not chess though, and so I am not sure what the chess example brings. Moreover, chess does not cost $15 a month and require a computer.

Also, I would argue that SC:BW had even better qualities than vanilla WoW, and even that faded with time. Blizzard did nothing to ruin BW.

Israfael

Arcane
They've shifted towards a model where the content is either piss easy or you absolutely have to join an organized guild/PvP group whatever and use Vent if you want to participate in challenging things. I suppose that's fine but I'm of an age where I'm not interested in doing so. That being the case all WoW is good for is about a month's play time per content patch. And paying $60 for an expansion is a worse deal than paying $60 for something like Fallout 4. Odds are you'll see more unique content in Fallout 4 than WoW where most of your hours are spent repeating the same dungeons.
Our guild (10/13M atm, dynamic roster of 25-26 raiders) is mostly of 25-30 yo players, not all of the relatively high end teams are made of screaming kids, sometimes its the collectives of the same minded, calm people as well. As in olden times, you simply have to search for one that suits your needs (or maybe the idea of classic mmo lost appeal to you)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
25 year old = kid to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom