Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

GreyViper

Prophet
Funny with WoD is that if you follow the Legendary ring quest, you will become raider one way or another. Also I found it most practical when hitting lvl 100 straight to Ashran BG and kit yourself out with set pieces and with honor points buy a decent weapon. Then the iLvl should be good enough that most PUG raids are available.

Revenant

Funny with WoD is that if you follow the Legendary ring quest, you will become raider one way or another.
This is not new to WoD, in MoP the legendary cloak quest required turning in items that dropped only in raids, too, though they (as in WoD) could also be gathered completely by doing LFR. I guess the legendary item quest is Blizzard's general way of making players see the current content, as it involves not only raids, but also profession items, battlegrounds, and, in the case of WoD, missions (blergh).

Israfael

Arcane
Funny with WoD is that if you follow the Legendary ring quest, you will become raider one way or another. Also I found it most practical when hitting lvl 100 straight to Ashran BG and kit yourself out with set pieces and with honor points buy a decent weapon. Then the iLvl should be good enough that most PUG raids are available.
Ring doesn't work in proper PVP (arena, skirmishes, random or rated bgs), why you even need it? Also, pvp gear will not carry you too far, as sensible people avoid inviting pvp-geared toons into pugs because pvp trinkets (except vers + stat proc) suck big ass (as well as people with such gear usually have no idea how to play their char optimally)

TedNugent

Arcane
He said pvp gear gets you into PUG raids, which is basically shit tier/entry level. By contrast, I could upgrade most of my outdated Highmaul/BRF shit with PvP gear.

It's one of those things. When Highmaul came out, I was supplementing my gear with Conquest gear and as a result I had a higher item level than most people going in. Same thing with MoP when Mogushun Vaults came out. Occasionally, conquest gear can be very useful and honor gear can be useful for skipping a pre-raid gearing phase/skipping raid tiers mid-expo since it's usually beyond pre-raid blues, beneath current raid tier.

Usually conquest gear is beneath current raid tier but it is often above raid finder gear.

Israfael

Arcane
Usually conquest gear is beneath current raid tier but it is often above raid finder gear.
It's much faster and easier to gear up through mythic dungeons / lucky drops in Tanaan / weekly chests than to grind CP. Of course, if you just pay for wins or downshift to the bottom to get better KTD ratio, it might be faster, but i really doubt it's the faster way for the typical puggie today. But then, i really avoid participating in random groups

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Depends. If you get into a good Trashran then Conquest flows pretty fast. Never mind the fact that the 700 gear is better than the Mythic gear unless you win the upgrade/warforged/whatever roll. Baseline mythic dungeon gear is 685 that can upgrade to 695 with 500 valor. You can upgrade Tanaan stuff to 695 and upgrade it to 705 but that's with a shitload of apexis grinding/lucky drops.

Yes, you can get lucky with mythic dungeon loot upgrades (I got a couple of 710 items that upgraded to 720) but it's nothing you can consistently rely on.

Pugging mythics is also not a walk in the park. Most groups I've seen require you to have 700+ gear, anyway. I only do a couple a week for some of those 100-110 heirloom trinkets. Also decided to make the legendary ring for laughs. LFR is a complete joke but at least it's fast and painless. It's funny how they let you repeat the raids without loot drops but if they're short of your role (and DPS comes up alot) you get bribed with one of those satchels containing 500+ gold and some shit that can sell for another 50-100ish. All for about 10 minutes of mindlessly stabbing things.

My advice to someone looking to mess around for about a month and maybe 'prepare' their character for the next expansion... somewhat... Monkey around Trashran for a set of 700 honor gear. Run the heroic daily for valor (the gear is worthless). Try to get into a couple of mythic groups (the 100-110 heirloom trinkets are really good for most specs). Do LFR if you want to get your legendary ring. The ring is actually useful for Timewalking dungeons so it might have value beyond WoD.

Last edited:

Israfael

Arcane
The ring is actually useful for Timewalking dungeons so it might have value beyond WoD.
It's scaled to 1-2% in Timewalking, so it's not particularly useful. 715 ring is better for tw.
All for about 10 minutes of mindlessly stabbing things.
Actually, raiders are bribed with valor points to carry 'mindlessly stabbing' people to victory, not satchels. One of my friends reported though that he got a satchel for queuing as DPS, which was hilarious.

J1M

Arcane
Had a look at artifact weapon powers again today. Since the big reveal it looks like they have stripped all interesting abilities away from the artifacts. Every trait is basically a flat "+3% damage" in one way or another. The interesting ones, like DKs being able to self-resurrect themselves, were already too sparse. This just looks like they gave up.

Israfael

Arcane
Well, there's only but 2 choices - either make the balancing sticks artifacts 'boring' or make them not work in the highest level of difiiculty. As soon as Blizzard went full Sawyer in Cata, all the flavour (and fun) was slowly leached away so every class would be viable at the highest game level. Also people really dont get that those artifacts were made by Blizz to have more 'balance knobs' (like legendary meta / cloak proc in Mop) so they can tweak damage of the classes without ruining the gameplay at low gear ilvl / non-level capped chars

Explorerbc

Arcane
I decided to play this shit game to level 20 to get Lady Liadrin for Blizzard's other shit game.

This is what is happens next to every boss spawn:

1zo9k4l.jpg

e63joz.jpg

Revenant

What's that at 0:24, do we now have these Diablo 3-like panes with speaking character heads during gameplay? Really this will be World of Warcraft: Diablo expansion.

Angthoron

Arcane

The game has changed.

Pew pew pew, button smash, button smash, faceroll, faceroll! I um a gaymur! Lewk at meh pway!

?
The video just shows a new AI pattern, "drop AoE under player and move back"

By the way, it still doesn't move out of AoE that player drops. Still, it's an interesting enough addition, plus those puddles do a lot of damage.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Nah, it just shows that mobs backpedal to re-position now, this is what used to happen:

It isn't a big deal of course, tanks can now push a boss backwards without the chaos that often comes with spinning a boss mid-fight (breaths, cleaves, tail swipes etc.).

Xenich

Cipher

The game has changed.

Pew pew pew, button smash, button smash, faceroll, faceroll! I um a gaymur! Lewk at meh pway!

?
The video just shows a new AI pattern, "drop AoE under player and move back"

Yeah, and if you pay close attention you can see a mushroom spawn in the background and run accross the screen! Maybe if he is quick, he can pew pew over it and get his power up!

What do you think these action arcade features are? "pew pew, button smash..."

Angthoron

Arcane
Yeah, and if you pay close attention you can see a mushroom spawn in the background and run accross the screen! Maybe if he is quick, he can pew pew over it and get his power up!

You seem to whine about just about anything. No features that test player reaction and punish lack of movement = bad. Features that do the opposite = bad. Also, did you know that WoW is an arcade action MMO since 2004? I do.

Xenich

Cipher

You seem to whine about just about anything. No features that test player reaction and punish lack of movement = bad. Features that do the opposite = bad. Also, did you know that WoW is an arcade action MMO since 2004? I do.

I have no problems with "action/arcade" games. In fact, I think they can be quite enjoyable. My problem is with the concept that a game without such is considered bad.

As for WoW being an "action/arcade game", it has always had "action" to an extent, but it has become more "arcade" over the years as it has severely reduced or removed many of the actual RPG elements of the game in order to cater to the more "console' like crowd of players it caters to.

If you can't understand why people like me are a bit annoyed by the state of MMOs and games in general, then you are possibly part of the problem. /shrug

Angthoron

Arcane
I wish I could agree that it caters to console players, because if it catered to them, it'd mean that at least it had a solid direction. As it stands, WoW desperately tries to cater to everyone - console players, elitist gamer dads, woman gamers and hundreds of other denominations, while failing to retain any sort of character of its own. What WoW's been doing since at least Cataclysm is ape its possible "killers" - Cata and MoP are basically "Shit, GW2 will be highly mobility-based, we need to keep up" design ideology, now that GW2 is no longer a new thing, they're looking around and trying to figure out what else to rip off, and what features they've promised over the years and failed to deliver on.

However, the "don't stand in the fire" ideas have been in the game since pretty much Vanilla, and the stuff in the video is just a slight adjustment for that. After all, even Vanilla had lots of poison puddles/clouds that you needed to sidestep. Of course, it also gives an indication of what endgame will be like, and it will pretty much be Cata V2 aka "Fuck you for rolling melee, you fucking retard".

Xenich

Cipher
I wish I could agree that it caters to console players, because if it catered to them, it'd mean that at least it had a solid direction. As it stands, WoW desperately tries to cater to everyone - console players, elitist gamer dads, woman gamers and hundreds of other denominations, while failing to retain any sort of character of its own. What WoW's been doing since at least Cataclysm is ape its possible "killers" - Cata and MoP are basically "Shit, GW2 will be highly mobility-based, we need to keep up" design ideology, now that GW2 is no longer a new thing, they're looking around and trying to figure out what else to rip off, and what features they've promised over the years and failed to deliver on.

However, the "don't stand in the fire" ideas have been in the game since pretty much Vanilla, and the stuff in the video is just a slight adjustment for that. After all, even Vanilla had lots of poison puddles/clouds that you needed to sidestep. Of course, it also gives an indication of what endgame will be like, and it will pretty much be Cata V2 aka "Fuck you for rolling melee, you fucking retard".

Arcade is synonymous with console play. The action/arcade "power up" button smashing play is a part of that style of gaming approach. WoW has always had action to an extent, but it was governed by more RPG style mechanics. That depth has been removed over the years (class homogenization, skill reduction and simplification, etc...) to produce a more simplistic action/arcade style game. That is, the focus is more on the immediate arcade style of play rather than the intricacies that are present in RPG systems.

As for the "everyone" issue, yes, that is the largest problem. Console suffered from the "games for everyone" cancer long before they started corrupting PC games (I remember seeing this coming about as far back as 16 bit consoles). So when I am throwing out the "console" gamer insults, it is pretty much a dig on the current state of consoles.

Angthoron

Arcane
Well, I haven't touched a console since the NES (not a boast, I'd probably like to at least be able to use a gamepad), so I suppose that slips past me a lot, though it's not quite what I meant. Probably.

The way I see WoW's post-WotLK iterations is basically "Let's put everything we can put into the game cheaply, let's try to lower the entry barriers for everyone so BROS, PROS, console kids and mobile moms will all find something!". Sort of like, I guess, the current ARPG genre in general. Let's add crafting! Let's add housing! Let's add dance moves! Let's...

You get the idea. That's the sort of design ideology that I see taking over for WoW, and when you make content like this, it's content for everybody, but it's also content for nobody.

J1M

Arcane

Arcade is synonymous with console play. The action/arcade "power up" button smashing play is a part of that style of gaming approach. WoW has always had action to an extent, but it was governed by more RPG style mechanics. That depth has been removed over the years (class homogenization, skill reduction and simplification, etc...) to produce a more simplistic action/arcade style game. That is, the focus is more on the immediate arcade style of play rather than the intricacies that are present in RPG systems.

As for the "everyone" issue, yes, that is the largest problem. Console suffered from the "games for everyone" cancer long before they started corrupting PC games (I remember seeing this coming about as far back as 16 bit consoles). So when I am throwing out the "console" gamer insults, it is pretty much a dig on the current state of consoles.
In particular I hate how the combat design has migrated to a philosophy of "everyone should be mashing a button for every global cooldown". It was fine when certain classes (rogues) had this play style, but at this point I can't think of any class that plays the way a retribution paladin used to. ie. A rotation/priority system with plenty of empty GCDs that allowed for the use of utility spells without compromising damage output. Casters used to have spells that took 3+ seconds to cast, but now they are almost as mobile as hunters, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom