Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

Israfael

Arcane
From this you can just conclude that it's just clear that blizzard aims at new people, not at holding the old players. I mean, seriously, what was complicated in having an off-gcd ability for fury and arms warrs and having to pool rage for Collosus smash windows? Even if i made mistakes, i liked it more than the current button mashing fest (especially with T18 4pc). The only class that got through some complications of the gameplay were mages (thanks to Prismatic Crystal and how it worked with either in-built abilities or tier sets/trinkets), everything else was simplified (and judging from LFR and other lesser tiers of gameplay, it didn't net them the result - old players left in droves (thanks to this and the only 20M mode - Paragons/Nightmare Asylum/partly Method and other guilds collapsed or were severely weakened), i predict even more will leave in Legion if this 'turn RPG to arcade' trend continues.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
In happier news, the latest Legion alpha patch notes say they are adding and tweaking talents and abilities to make monk fistweavers able to heal in pvp while still doing meaningful DPS

:happytrollboy:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
They can offheal, but it's pretty pitiful. Save for the bubbles, we haven't encountered much in the way of healing from the retris we've faced in arenas.

It seems like right now the alpha has a talent with a 90s cool down. It boosts monk damage by 50%, makes them immune to snares and roots and heals the 3 closest allies for 200% damage dealt. Lasts for 15 seconds. I'm... OK with that actually. If our damage is similar to what we have now, that should allow for healer pressure at key moments without losing healing output. The snare/root immunity makes me a happy camper after chilblains spam.

There is another talent which is, ironically, called "Ancient mistweaver arts" that reverts mistweavers to heal the same way they currently do in warlords. (Soothing mist as an active channel that make other heals instant), and it is considered mandatory at the moment. So we might end up having all our changes rolled back save for losing chi.

A lot stronger too, if we still get the talent that lets us move while channelling soothing mist. Although we will need to bind a /stopcasting key for stuttersteps. The healing lazor is a dead giveaway too shown interrupts at the monk

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I doubt they did it because of lost profits. A large majority of people playing on Nostralius wouldn't pay for an active sub in current WoW. And even if they did you're talking about... 5k subs or so? They're not in such dire straights that 5,000 subs matter to them.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
They're grabbing at whatever straws they can find.

First they stopped publishing subscription numbers.
Now all popular servers are "medium" population-wise. They released a statement saying that's cause they increased the population limit, which is lies, lol.
Now they're desperate, they're shutting down pirate servers.
This is it for wow.

J1M

Arcane
If shutting down those servers wasn't motivated by the standard "lawyers protecting IP/need something to do" and instead by something more emotional, it wouldn't be to try and raise subscriptions. It would be because the designers of the current game are slighted that people think the game was better without all of their 'improvements'.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They're grabbing at whatever straws they can find.

First they stopped publishing subscription numbers.
Now all popular servers are "medium" population-wise. They released a statement saying that's cause they increased the population limit, which is lies, lol.
Now they're desperate, they're shutting down pirate servers.
This is it for wow.
People keep saying that but you realize their subs would have to be around 500,000 or less before they even consider pulling the plug. Obviously their numbers have been on a steady decline and now probably hover around 2-3 million but there are MMOs out there that stay in business with far fewer subscribers than that. The signs of the games demise will be a lot more telltale than going after private servers. You would dozens if not hundreds of employees fired as they pare down the amount of content delivered.

If shutting down those servers wasn't motivated by the standard "lawyers protecting IP/need something to do" and instead by something more emotional, it wouldn't be to try and raise subscriptions. It would be because the designers of the current game are slighted that people think the game was better without all of their 'improvements'.

This is probably closer to the truth. And also why you won't see official legacy servers until the game is on its last leg -- they don't want to admit they're wrong and have been slowly killing the game for years.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Also, with the marketing storm coming due to the movie at some point, they don't want people looking up "play WoW" to find any relevant result for these non official servers, especially free and easy to access ones. They want everything to go straight into them.
As someone who's still quite active on EQ P1999 and was on DaoC Uthgard, I can understand that they want to defend their still profitable game. It's just too early for WoW really.

Israfael

Arcane
Law enforcement system works slowly in all countries, so it's probably a result of the actions that blizzard undertook few months or even years ago. I remember they cracked down hard on the people who develop software (like MangoS emulator) for those servers (i was a 'mole' who gathered the opcodes and data for the devs) roughly in time of transition between WoTLK and Cata, so it's nothing new, really. Also, it might be an indicator that blizz will create 'timewalking' servers of their own (they said something like that during blizzcon or later).

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It was bound to happen and this is the reason why I never got too heavily invested in Nostalrius. The constant risk that it can be shut down at any given moment, and this has come to pass. I wouldn't mind a proper Blizzard hosted classic / progression / expac-specific server(s). I'd pay a monthly sub for that.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It was bound to happen and this is the reason why I never got too heavily invested in Nostalrius. The constant risk that it can be shut down at any given moment, and this has come to pass. I wouldn't mind a proper Blizzard hosted classic / progression / expac-specific server(s). I'd pay a monthly sub for that.
Exactly. Not about to spend dozens upon dozens of hours surging to 60 to have the plug pulled.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Not about to spend dozens upon dozens of hours surging to 60 to have the plug pulled.

Why would anyone who finds leveling up a waste of time play vanilla WoW in the first place?

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
As for the status of the game right now: is a properly geared max level character capable of fighting their way through MoP dungeons and raids solo?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Don't know with raids, but 5man dungeons in wod season 3 PvP gear? No problem. Assuming you can offheal yourself

Veelq

Augur
Blizzard doesnt care, they want you to go and play Overwatch, that great new game that they made :smug:

Israfael

Arcane
As for the status of the game right now: is a properly geared max level character capable of fighting their way through MoP dungeons and raids solo?
MSV 10 man is easily soloable by any char with 700+ gear, moreso if you have ring / archi trinket / 4pc and some self heals. First few bosses are also doable in ToT, although dark animus either will require godlike kiting skills or super-heavy survivability and self-heals (i managed to kill all golems as tank, but i hit enrage and was killed by the raid mechanic). Not sure about SoO, guys in my guild say that they soloed it (although Sha trap will severely limit your time to kill it). After 9 lost rolls on the scorpion, i'm not too keen to go back to Siege.

Caim

Arcane
So the dungeons are managable but the raids less so?

I remember that with a level 90 and some decent gear I managed to get through Cata dungeons with ease and even a few raids.

Israfael

Arcane
So the dungeons are managable but the raids less so?
Dungeons were soloable even at 90, i soloed most of them and got the meta achievement(s) on my mage with literally zero self-heals and damage reduction. Raids depend what you mean by 'properly geared'. If it's 740+ (like me), then it should be easy (apart from gimmick bosses like sha or animus).

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
The ship has been sinking since MoP, WoD just made it happen faster and I'm certain that Legion will make things worse than WoD. The people who are working on World of Warcraft have absolutely no clue what the fuck they are doing.

Revenant

Do you guys even play the game? WoW is alive and well and probably as good as it has ever been. The raiding content and community is immense, no other MMO even comes close. It's the casual levelingfags that complain and quit the game because the focus has indeed shifted towards the endgame through the years.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
Do you guys even play the game? WoW is alive and well and probably as good as it has ever been. The raiding content and community is immense, no other MMO even comes close. It's the casual levelingfags that complain and quit the game because the focus has indeed shifted towards the endgame through the years.

Do YOU even play the game?

Realms haven't been as low populated as they are not, not since the game was released in vanilla. The subscriptions are at an all time low and the world feels empty because people don't log in more than once a day for a few minutes, and when they do they are in their garrison. All the towns are desolated and Kalimdor, Eastern Kingdoms, Outlands (TBC), Northrend, Pandaria and even Outlands (WoD) are completely empty.

They are giving us another 13-14 months with NO NEW RAIDING CONTENT. People complained about the Siege of Orgrimmar content drought, this will be even worse! The raiding is interesting at mythic, but the problem is that people don't raid, it's just a very small % of the population that bother to raid and unless you're a mythic raider in a good guild, THERE IS NOTHING TO DO. Even the guilds are having a hard time keeping their roster because people are leaving, millions of people have already left.

They gave up on PvP and they won't even introduce a new Battleground in Legion. People aren't doing Arenas anymore, and the PvP content that we have is boring as hell.

There is a reason that they don't show the subscription numbers anymore.

The game has NEVER been as bad as it is right now, and from the looks of Legion it will only get worse. Blizzard gave us empty promise upon empty promise and they don't listen to the community anymore, they even went out and told us that "We (Blizzard) knows what the players want" and voila, look at the subscriptions now, lost over 60% of the fucking playerbase.

WoD = Raid mythic, or don't play the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom