Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's that game? Don't remember the title? Ask here.

wyes gull

Savant
Didn't see this sort of thread so I thought I might as well make one.
Want to find the title of a game you can't remember? Post what info you have and let someone else have at it.

Right, so any of you know of a ""point & click"" from a period between Curse of Monkey Island and Farenheit/Indigo where you play as a woman detective who's tracking a serial killer? The game's main areas are the precinct, the girl's parents' house (where she's staying for xmas IIRC) and an art gallery where I think she finds a body. It's 3D characters with 2D pre-rendered backgrounds and takes place in present day and almost entirely at night. In fact, it's sort of like Farenheit minus its David Cage-tier retardo. I played it on PC, doubt it was a multi-plat. The chick had black/dark hair.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Don't know if anyone remembers this game, came out in the late 90s, you're this dude who leaves his home underground, discovers a great new plan for evolving humanity, and then ruins everything. What an asshole.

Uncle Skull

Educated
I have 2 games that I have been scouring the Internet for and never found anything. The Codex is my last hope.

I: A strategy/maybe puzzleish game where you control small green orc/goblin people who all wear helmets I only played this one for a week before we had to return the CD to my sister's friend, but it left a strong impression on me and I've wanted to play it again ever since. Perspective is top down. There are different tools/weapons/vehicles you can equip your guys with, all are picked up on the map IIRC. The ones I remember are a big club and some sort of car. Graphics are cartoonish but I remember being very pleased with them. Then again I was like 7 back then.
There could be base building but I don't remember any buildings being in the game at all.
The first level or the tutorial sections had a lot of mud and dirt, one of the later missions - or more likely a skirmish map - took place in a kitchen and had power connectors, eggs being fried and stoves, if your timing was bad you could get your guys electrocuted or cooked alive. Part of the tutorial had you luring an enemy who was in a car to drive himself into the sea of mud and drown, so environmental hazards played a role.

II: Strange wargame looking thing. The demo mission had a naval battle taking place probably WW2, however the thing that haunts me to this day about this one is that it had some sort of agent on agent combat. The hostiles were on the top row and your agents were on the bottom one. Female agents "attacked" by seducing enemies to come to their side, when they would (attempt) to do so a kissing sound effect would be played. This, coupled with my then nonexistent English knowledge, made me wonder just what the fuck was this thing really about and how much there really was to it.

Both are PC ofc.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Uncle Skull it would help loads to narrow down the possibilities if you could give us the years when you played these games, like when exactly you were 7 years old.

v1rus

Arcane
And yet, I was thinking of creating one of these, but for flicks.

I: A strategy/maybe puzzleish game where you control small green orc/goblin people who all wear helmets I only played this one for a week before we had to return the CD to my sister's friend, but it left a strong impression on me and I've wanted to play it again ever since. Perspective is top down. There are different tools/weapons/vehicles you can equip your guys with, all are picked up on the map IIRC. The ones I remember are a big club and some sort of car. Graphics are cartoonish but I remember being very pleased with them. Then again I was like 7 back then.
There could be base building but I don't remember any buildings being in the game at all.
The first level or the tutorial sections had a lot of mud and dirt, one of the later missions - or more likely a skirmish map - took place in a kitchen and had power connectors, eggs being fried and stoves, if your timing was bad you could get your guys electrocuted or cooked alive. Part of the tutorial had you luring an enemy who was in a car to drive himself into the sea of mud and drown, so environmental hazards played a role.

Sounds like it could be one of the Gobliiins games.

Uncle Skull

Educated
I don't remember if I was 7. It was like...what? 2005 or 6 I think when I played the first one. Second one, I really don't know, it came as a demo on one local IT/gaming magazine in one of the early issues. It was ugly as shit, so it's probably a one man game from the late 90s or early 2000s.

Anyway, I went hunting for the first one again and finally found it thanks to dumb luck. It's Gruntz.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
was playing this game in around 98-99. It was kinda like sims+AoE -- you built houses and villagers would move in and make kids who would grow up, villagers had to raise crops and defend from wolves and you could give them jobs. The graphics were somewhat whimsical.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
was playing this game in around 98-99. It was kinda like sims+AoE -- you built houses and villagers would move in and make kids who would grow up, villagers had to raise crops and defend from wolves and you could give them jobs. The graphics were somewhat whimsical.

Settlers 3?

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Okay video game historians, here's one

• mid to late nineties, PC
  • its a 3D game with blocky 90s graphics
  • you are a ball-shaped dynamo, racing through weird levels
  • I vaguely remember levels made of stone, like stone canals
  • color palette was brownish
  • I guess it can be considered a racing/puzzle game
  • it had a short, catchy title (Xyro - wild guess). Think that was the name of the protagonist "ball" too
  • was received well, stayed on top of the charts for a couple of weeks actually

I think it was released before Half Life, so 1995-1998 would be my guess

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Got another one,

• pretty sure I played this on an IBM machine, pre-1995 (OS wasn't Windows)
  • strategy/quiz game with hotseat multiplayer mode
  • top-down adventure map, resembling that of Heroes II-III
  • your goal is to complete a journey around the world before the other player(s) via train (I remember there were railroad tracks), zeppelin or some other method of transportation (car?)
  • I have no idea how its called but perhaps it has "journey" and/or "world" in its title

Last edited:

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

Sounds like Beasts & Bumpkins.
pc-64057-11453747212.png

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Back in 2003-2005 I bought an nVidia GPU and it had a bunch of games bundled in. I remember there being Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness, Gun Metal and a mysterious 3rd game that I can't remember the name of and would love to play a bit nowadays for that extra dose of nostalgia.

Basically it was a very colorful (almost like on acid) game with techno music where your character is riding a transparent disk thru a series of tubes. There was some kind of an attack, maybe throwing disks a la TRON or maybe just shooting energy bolts. There were several quirky characters to choose from. It was a very short game, more like a tech demo to showcase the GPU's capabilities. Basically a lot like TRON RUN/r, maybe with a mix of Ballistics (but nowhere as fast), since you're always going thru some pipe like labyrinths.

The fuck was it called?

catfood

AGAIN
Ok the game I'm looking for is an old 80's title. I played it 25+ years ago on a ZX Spectrum clone. What I remember from the game is this:

- it was a platformer (or at least had the same perspective as one)
- it started somewhere outside with a man and a woman and a tree between them (Adam and Eve probably)
- you controlled the man and your task was to get to the woman but the tree was in your path (DAMN 2D PERSPECTIVE!!!)
- so in order to get to her you had to climb down to hell and battle all sorts of devils and stuff; I never managed to beat it

catfood

AGAIN
I have 2 games that I have been scouring the Internet for and never found anything. The Codex is my last hope.

Gruntz. Amazing game. Hugely underrated. Quite possibly Monolith Studios' crowning achievement.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Got another one,

• pretty sure I played this on an IBM machine, pre-1995 (OS wasn't Windows)
  • strategy/quiz game with hotseat multiplayer mode
  • top-down adventure map, resembling that of Heroes II-III
  • your goal is to complete a journey around the world before the other player(s) via train (I remember there were railroad tracks), zeppelin or some other method of transportation (car?)
  • I have no idea how its called but perhaps it has "journey" and/or "world" in its title

95% certain this is Dr. Drago's Madcap Chase:

Parsifarka

Arcane
I've been looking for awhile for a game which I played ages ago in some emulator, either MAME or one of Sega Meda Drive, but since I recall the game having rather good quality visuals, I would be inclined to think it was for SEGA.
In that game, a side-scroller platformer, you control a magician with tunic and a hat (I can't even remember the color, I'd say it was red, but maybe it was blue) who could cast spells to fight the enemies. I recall exploring a castle with some kind of elevator, walking on its wall, but also exploring different areas like a forest and mines. It was long ago, so I may be mixing up my fantasy with the true game, but for sure there is a 2D platformer out there where you're a wizard killing stuff. Anyone knows it?

wyes gull

Savant
Stronghold has houses, children, farms and wolves as well.

color palette was brownish
Half of your description makes it sound like Pod, some of it is off though.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I've been looking for awhile for a game which I played ages ago in some emulator, either MAME or one of Sega Meda Drive, but since I recall the game having rather good quality visuals, I would be inclined to think it was for SEGA.
In that game, a side-scroller platformer, you control a magician with tunic and a hat (I can't even remember the color, I'd say it was red, but maybe it was blue) who could cast spells to fight the enemies. I recall exploring a castle with some kind of elevator, walking on its wall, but also exploring different areas like a forest and mines. It was long ago, so I may be mixing up my fantasy with the true game, but for sure there is a 2D platformer out there where you're a wizard killing stuff. Anyone knows it?

Hocus Pocus?

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron

Sounds like Beasts & Bumpkins.
pc-64057-11453747212.png
Yesssss, that's it!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom