Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's that game? Don't remember the title? Ask here.

Parsifarka

Arcane
It fits the vague description I've given, but I was quite convinced the game wasn't released on PC (since I'm positive I played it on an emulator) and didn't have the episodic structure of Duke Nukem clones, as well as more advanced visuals. I'll give it a try and check if it could be the one.
BTW, while searching for this game I found Titus the fox, which along Sonic 2 is the first game I ever played. Well met!

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
  • pretty sure I played this on an IBM machine, pre-1995 (OS wasn't Windows)
  • strategy/quiz game with hotseat multiplayer mode
  • top-down adventure map, resembling that of Heroes II-III
  • your goal is to complete a journey around the world before the other player(s) via train (I remember there were railroad tracks), zeppelin or some other method of transportation (car?)
  • I have no idea how its called but perhaps it has "journey" and/or "world" in its title

95% certain this is Dr. Drago's Madcap Chase:

Fuck dude, how did you do it? I honestly thought I'll never find out what it was.

Half of your description makes it sound like Pod, some of it is off though.

Loved POD but t's not that. You control a ball that looks like a dynamo not a car.

It could be that, my memory is vague.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Fuck dude, how did you do it? I honestly thought I'll never find out what it was.

I used to frequent a forum years ago where there was a sticky thread with this topic ranging for hundreds of pages. It made for good practice.

Let's see if you can get this one:

There is this game I played around mid-2000s, in the beginning there is this city near you that has a circle of white towers around it, and it's separated by walls criss crossing that circle. And you run into a goblin witch in the first dungeon. After that, some old guy is killed, and his bodyguard asks you to find some other guy. It's all pretty hazy now.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Long shot: Spellforce: The Order of Dawn?

I'm certain Porky's trolling with his guess. Which I why I haven't answered it, but the answer is:

14549.jpg

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I have been looking for this game for a while now.

It is basically Game Dev Tycoon for MS DOS. I seem to remember 16 colors graphics, and the view of an office desk.

I do not remember more.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Okay I'll join in:
  • 1995 to 1999
  • RTS
  • Turn-based (as far as I remember...), but semi-big scale battle (like C&C)
  • Graphics looked like a bit better version of Red Alert
  • Technology level is modern or a little bit more (like Red Alert 3 or C&C)
Good luck to you guys.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It looks very similar but that's not it. I think I remember the game was in 16 color.
Also, this looks like a german release ? Also, it's definitely before 1994.

Don Peste

Arcane
Okay I'll join in:
  • 1995 to 1999
  • RTS
Good luck to you guys.
Turn-based RTS?
Anyway, something like People's General?
34219-people-s-general-windows-screenshot-an-assault-scenario.jpg

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Okay I'll join in:
  • 1995 to 1999
  • RTS
Good luck to you guys.
Turn-based RTS?
Anyway, something like People's General?

Nah. It looked liked the ''M.A.X.'' suggestion above, but I am still unsure. It might be just a figment of imagination too. I played it once at a friends house.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
This is only slightly related, but I couldn't find the name of this one game I played when I was younger on my dad's old PC via floppy. I think it was free or pirated or something, idk. Searched for what felt like a few hours, putting in all sorts of weird vaguely related descriptions of images that showed up in my head to describe it. "Magic tree", "Mspaint art work", "scary boy game", etc. Eventually I found the game. Has anyone else played this?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
"Dare to Dream" - the name and first screenshot rings a bell, but that's about it.

I've tried to find a way to emulate some obscure fps but cannot remember it's name.

It's arcade only (sic!) wapanese first person perspective shooter from 1999 (?), with graphics on Xbox/PS2 level and some chick as sidekick / commentary. Anyone?

Nathir

Liturgist
Game is probably late 90's or early 2000's. Has that blocky 3d artstyle. Iirc it used to be about arena deathmaches. Where you would pick a character and had to eliminate the rest. The characters I remember were a skeleton a magma golem and some kind of insect creature with a high jump. There was a lava stage and a stage with swinging pendulums. That's about all I remember, anyone knows what I'm talking about?.

lophiaspis

Arbiter
Looking for a mid-late 90s arcade racing game.

• Quake 1 level graphics, textured low res 3D with no hardware rendering. Semi realistic style.
  • Probably 96/97/98.
  • You can pick from various characters that each have their own vehicles. At the selection screen it shows a big realistic-cartoonish drawing of the character. I think one guy is named Nail and drives a Humvee. Another guy drives a bus.
  • Some levels have lava fields that you drive past.
  • Not Ignition, the cars are big sized and take up much more of your screen.
Been looking for this for years, can't find it on any lists nor any screenshots anywhere. It's like it never existed. Appreciate any help.

:Flash:

Arcane
Don't think that's it (because character selection is a 3d model), but Big Red Racing?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Looking for a mid-late 90s arcade racing game.

• Quake 1 level graphics, textured low res 3D with no hardware rendering. Semi realistic style.
  • Probably 96/97/98.
  • You can pick from various characters that each have their own vehicles. At the selection screen it shows a big realistic-cartoonish drawing of the character. I think one guy is named Nail and drives a Humvee. Another guy drives a bus.
  • Some levels have lava fields that you drive past.
  • Not Ignition, the cars are big sized and take up much more of your screen.
Been looking for this for years, can't find it on any lists nor any screenshots anywhere. It's like it never existed. Appreciate any help.

I know this is silly, but it sounds awfully lot lika one of the Carmageddon games. Assuming it isn't, could you tell us how it differs from Carmageddon?

Also, by the '96-'98 comment, do you mean that was when you played it, or when you think it was released?

lophiaspis

Arbiter
Not Big Red Racing. The graphics were better than that, with more detailed (if grainy) textures. The game also had more a... 90s edgy than wacky feel.

Also not Carmageddon. It was a straight racing game. But I guess a screenshot could look a bit like Carmageddon. The 320x200 software 3D graphics and 3rd person view would be similar.

I think it was released in 96, 97 or early 98 just based on the graphics. I think I also played it around that time. Maybe I got it off a demo CD. Me and my friends would play it on one PC but I don't remember if there was splitscreen or we played hotseat.

lophiaspis

Arbiter
Here's another one from around the same time (late 90s PC).

This was a kind of silly parody of the olympics with wacky minigame-style contests like pizza eating (maybe not that exactly, but I think one event involved pizza). The graphics were 640x480 2d. It looked kind of low budget and seemed like a one man production. The key part was the developer FMV self-insert into this 2d world as one of the contestants, a dorky looking guy recorded as FMV and turned into a low resolution sprite and inserted into this 2d world sort of like Phantasmagoria or Toonstruck (although it has nothing in common with those apart from this graphics style).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom