Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's the benefit of expensive mobos?

Discussion in 'SCIENCE!!' started by kingcomrade22, Apr 26, 2012.

1. kingcomrade22 Educated

kingcomrade22
    Click here and disable ads!
    I will soon get a new processor, which will require a new motherboard and memory.
    What is the advantage of higher priced mobos? I see some for 50 dollars and some for 200. I understand some have more slots for memory, some overclock better, what exactly should I be looking for?
    ^ Top  
  2. Burning Bridges Tacticular Staff

Burning Bridges
    There is none.

Get the best mainboard for as little money as possible. I have for example a simple Abit IP-35 (non pro) for 80 €, which is absolutely sufficient. Should I need to connect more externals I can simply get extension cards.
    ^ Top  
  3. waywardOne Augur

waywardOne
    Every feature adds cost, and future upgradability is a cost. I paid a little more than I needed to 4 years ago, but when I upgrade my CPU and GFX in the next month or so, I won't need a new mobo at all, but it will certainly be the next piece to get upgraded, but not until I really need to also upgrade my RAM from DDR2 to 3 (or 5).
    ^ Top  
  4. Dicksmoker Augur

Dicksmoker
    Is this the real kc?
    ^ Top  
  5. WhiskeyWolf RPG Codex Polish Car Thief Patron

WhiskeyWolf
    Suprisingly, it seems to be KC.
    ^ Top  
  6. Running Fox Educated Queued

Running Fox
    more holes of all kinds
    takes any cock
    strong
    srsly
    ^ Top  
  7. Alex_Steel Χαμένος χρόνος Patron

Alex_Steel
    Features of course. The question is, what are you looking for?

A more expensive m/b can have:
    • more PCI-e slots. Are you planning to use more than one GPU?
    • more usb slots. Do you have many peripherals?
    • better overclockability. Do you plan to overclock, maybe in the future?
    • more SATA 3 and usb 3.0 slots. Do you have an SSD or usb 3.0 devices?
    • more memory slots and/or faster memory support. Will you have a lot of RAM with/or lots of MHz on them?
    • more ethernet ports. Are you planning to have multiple networks?
    • specialized ports. Are you planning to connect thunderbolts or some other fancy device?
    • better RAID support. Do you have multiple HDDs you would set in RAID?
    • better CPU and RAM support. There is a better chance it will support future hardware, especially if it is AMD, since they don't change sockets so frequently.
    I hope these questions will help you. ;)
    Monk Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  8. Melcar Arcane

Melcar
    Features and add-ons mostly. As a secondary perk there is also better built quality from materials used that allows for better overclocking (if that is a concern to you).
    ^ Top  
  9. Burning Bridges Tacticular Staff

Burning Bridges
  10. Alex_Steel Χαμένος χρόνος Patron

Alex_Steel
    Are you talking about yourself or something? Saying that he doesn't need anything is not very considerate, since you have no idea what he needs. I agree that most people don't need all these stuff but your advice is not good.
    ^ Top  
  11. kingcomrade22 Educated

kingcomrade22
    No, he's right. I don't have very much extra shit or special drives or anything. Looks like cheap mobos are for me, as I think the answer to every one of your questions, for me, is no.
    ^ Top  
  12. EG Nullified

EG
    It's true enough for me. The many features of my Crosshair III and IV remain entirely unused. Why overclock a 6 core 3.4 Ghz processor, for example? Why bother needing two bioses if I don't even do firm upgrades? What's the point of having 6 SATA2 ports if I only need 4? .etc (Beyond the best answer of all: "I might need them someday!").

Though neither these boards are probably considered that expensive.
    ^ Top  
  13. Alex_Steel Χαμένος χρόνος Patron

Alex_Steel
    I never said he was right or wrong. I said that he might be wrong since we had no idea what you need. It's a detail that might make a big difference to someone.
    Now that we know you don't need any of these extras then yes, of course, a cheap one is the way to go. :thumbsup:
    ^ Top  
  14. Lyric Suite Arcane

Lyric Suite
    I put together a desktop with a cheap asrock motherboard. Right off the bat the damn thing would reboot half the time if i dared turn the computer on with a USB device plugged in (seriously). I had to do a bios upgrade to fix that problem. Next, the CPU gets overheated way too easily, even though it worked fine on the old motherboard (same CPU, same cooler). Finally, the onboard sound card is actually worse then that of my Lenovo X120e. Of course onboard sound is always shit but this one really takes the cake.

This is the first cheap motherboard i ever bought, always going for the most expensive options when i build my previous machines. You can skimp on features but i would recommend going for a board manufactured by a trusty vendor, at the very least, if my experience is anything to go by.
    ^ Top  
  15. EG Nullified

EG
    Appears to be sound advice.
    ^ Top  
  16. Phelot Arcane

Phelot
    I don't know, I have an ASRock and it seems to work OK. I've had it for about a year.

I would check with user reviews just to get a general idea of what is going wrong and judge from there. Many of those reviews are retarded, but you can pick up patterns.
    Burning Bridges Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  17. Melcar Arcane

Melcar
    $80USD to $120USD seems to be the sweet range when it comes to quality motherboard prices. Going for anything cheaper and you better have your fingers crossed when booting your PC. Good manufactures are always ASUS, Gigabyte, and sometimes MSI.
    ^ Top  
  18. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    I find most features in motherboards to be useless.

What you should look for is a quality brand (Asus, Gigabyte) with lots of expansion slots and good disposition of its connectors and, most importantly, a good chipset.
    ^ Top  
  19. Lyric Suite Arcane

Lyric Suite
    Obviously its all relative. I heard for instance that the new ASRock z77 motherboards are very good. But this is the problem with going for cheap components. That is, its not that they are going to be shit and nonfunctional by default. If that was the case none of those manufacturers would be able to do any business. Its just that you are playing lottery with your hardware. Might work well, might have problems, might not work at all. Who's to say?
    ^ Top  
  20. hiver Augur Dumbfuck White Knight

hiver
    The more expensive components have better quality tests applied throughout the process.
    Thats actually the main feature.

Cheap stuff goes through quality and performance check about a 1 checked in 100,000 pieces, or 20,000 - 50,000 - and so on. Therefore the number of malfunctioning pieces is high in every batch. Thats why they are cheap and bought in big batches at once by retailers.
    Pricier stuff gets one check per each individual thousand of produced pieces.
    The most expensive stuff is checked every hundred produced pieces.
    And maybe.... maybe... some of them used better materials for inner components although i wouldnt really count on that.
    If any hardware has anything like that you will see it clearly written somewhere visible on the box or product description.

If you dont see it - its not there.

Thats all folks.
    ^ Top  
  21. Burning Bridges Tacticular Staff

Burning Bridges
    There are always cheap boards which are also very good, also stability wise. Of course you must 1. see which are the most popular boards and 2. read many reviews.
    Unfortunately I haven't done any research lately (My 80€ ABIT is still going strong), so I cannot give any buying advice right now.
    Some years ago I would have simply said ABIT but unfortunately they are gone now.
    ^ Top  
  22. Burning Bridges Tacticular Staff

Burning Bridges
    kingcomrade

I've done 2 minutes research for you and the MSI P67A-GD53 + Intel® Core i5-2500K come out the most popular, with several others trailing close behind.

Together they would set you back 300€, so no cheap ass crap. You may find something a bit cheaper if you look at alternative boards.

As I said, I would always start with the most popular boards, then narrow down your choice by reviews + comments.

I would always remind that less components theoretically also mean less problems, as an engineering principle. Not to be taken as a mantra of course.

There are also some very good forums for this, much better than RPGCodex :lol:
    ^ Top  
  23. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    This.

Except for the super-low and the super-high end I've never seen price be a strong predictor of overall quality. Go for a good brand that costs around $70-80, maybe a bit more if you want a full set of features. But brand (and of course product reviews) is by far the best indicator of quality that I've found.
    ^ Top  
  24. Burning Bridges Tacticular Staff

Burning Bridges
    But the problem is still how to find out which is the best, and for this I always look at the most popular first. This indicator is the quickest route to the one you will want most. Some kind of swarm intelligence.

P.S. does not work with games and many other things, but with most hardware.
    ^ Top  
  25. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Sounds a bit like trying to figure out the length of the Emperor's nose though. Your findings aren't obviously biased towards the retarded, but the average for a shopper would have no obvious advantage over you assuming you are competent.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)