Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's up with all these niche 'hardcore realism' games from Eastern Europe? - Gamasutra

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
With quotes from Vault Dweller and Aterdux Entertainment: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news...ardcore_realism_games_from_Eastern_Europe.php

What's up with all these niche 'hardcore realism' games from Eastern Europe?

Over the course of the past five years or so, there’s been a rise in hardcore, realistic games coming from Eastern European developers: a shooter with military-grade tactics; a true-to-life medieval times simulator; fantasy RPGs with intricately branching dialogue trees and brutal strategic combat.

To the casual observer, these games are unforgiving and inaccessible, oftentimes requiring months of serious effort to begin to master their intricacies. Yet this fascinating sub-genre perseveres, thanks in part to the passion of the developers and its rabid niche fanbase.

Some of the developers making these games come from storied AAA backgrounds, while others wandered into the industry as fans. No matter how these studios started, they all have one thing in common -- a deeply embedded passion for the types of games they wanted to make. Many had trouble finding the types of games they wanted to play, so they decided to fill that gap for themselves.

Vladimir Piskunov, CEO of Moscow-based Bitbox Studios, the creators of the hardcore medieval life sandbox titles Life is Fedual: Your Own and Life is Feudal: MMO, was originally a fan of intense, all-consuming MMOs like EVE Online. “Back in 2010, I just realized that the last game I was playing was Darkfall, and I felt they failed to deliver what they had promised, especially from a sandbox aspect,” he says, recalling how he got the inspiration for Life is Feudal.

Bitbox Ltd.'s unashamedly difficult Medieval survival sim racked up 100K sales within a month of its early access launch on Steam in 2014.

“I just realized that there was no game that suited my needs, and the worst thing was that there was no game in development that I knew of that would suit my hunger for hardcore gaming," he adds. "And that's how I decided to make Life is Feudal, the game of my dreams.”

Likewise, Nikita Buyanov, COO and lead designer of the Russian studio Battlestate Games, creators of upcoming survival military shooter Escape from Tarkov, wanted to see his dream game come to life. “A reflection of reality of some kind is something I’ve been waiting for computer games to deliver for years, and current tech allows us both to achieve realistic image quality and accurately model any situation that could happen to us in real life,” he says.

Battlestate Games' shooter promises punishingly realistic gunplay, forcing players to account for bullet drop and contend with accurate ricochets and the way that bullet trajectories can alter when they pass through soft objects--like people.

Others stumbled into the hardcore survival subgenre more by accident. Alexander Dergay, CEO of Belarusian studio Aterdux Entertainment and one of the minds behind fantasy RPG Legends of Eisenwald fell into the industry after playing a game that changed his life”

“In 2007 I played a game called Discord Times. After I finished the game, I felt like something important had left my life and I tried to look up who the developers were," says Dergay. "And I found they were in my home city in Minsk, and then I just wanted to meet them and talk to them. To kind of add some more value to my worth, I decided to pretend to be an investor who was interested in making a sequel to that game.”

Certainly an unconventional approach, but Dergay was welcomed by the team, even after they found out he wasn’t an investor in the traditional sense. Dergay threw all of his money into creating Legends of Eisenwald, eventually turning to Kickstarter when the team found themselves strapped for cash.

Aterdux Entertainment's tactical RPG has a very deep combat system

“We kind of struggled in the beginning financially, but then as we went on to early access and then we released the game, it didn't become an instant bestseller that we had hoped, but I think it would have been much more financially successful if we were more experienced and were able to shorten our development time,” Dergay says.

Games of this nature might not necessarily be taking Steam by storm, but they do have their own niche following. Most of the developers we spoke to said their audience skewed mainly male 35 and above, the majority of whom were living the United States.

Bitbox studios uncovered some interesting statistics by visiting Life is Feudal Twitch streams. “Only one in 10 streamers did not have a beard,” Piskunov says with amusement. “So if you ask about audience, it's 90% bearded males populating our game.”

On a more serious note, though, Piskunov also said he was surprised to find that families had found a home in Life is Feudal:

“Truth be told, after a few years I had a lot of interactions with our players and community, and I do know there are a lot of families playing our game together," he says. "You can create your own server protected with a password, and then just live in the world. They come in, they build houses, they plant crops, they raise chickens, and hares, and horses. Just living.”

Dergay says the Legends of Eisenwald audience is men between the ages of 30 and 35 with an affinity for old-school RPGs like Heroes of Might and Magic 3, King's Bounty, and Disciples. The game has also seen a huge influx of Chinese players following the release of the game’s recent Mandarin translation, now taking second place behind the U.S. in overall sales. Dergay expects China to become the top demographic for Legends of Eisenwald in the future.

Eisenwald.jpg

Legends of Eisenwald

When asked why these sorts of games strike a chord with a very particular set of players, most of the studios could pinpoint exactly one reason.

“There are people who like or even need challenging combat in order to enjoy games. Simply clicking on enemies and watching them explode doesn’t fill their hearts with joy anymore,” Vince Weller of Iron Tower Studios, the creators of hardcore fantasy RPG Age of Decadence says. “They don’t care about cinematic, visceral combat and they don’t care about accessibility.”

Piskunov refers to this phenomenon as an evolution. “There are certain stages of evolution for gamers because playing the same types of games, eventually they won't entertain you anymore. And you're looking for something more complex, more advanced. More interesting," he says. "Something that can hold you for longer. And that's your evolution. Everyone considers our type of players as niche players, and that's true, but on the other side, there are a lot of niches and a lot of players in those niches, and many players are sitting in a couple of niches also, because they have evolved.”

While there seems to be a need for games of this sort, most of these games have very small but passionate fan bases, and the studios behind them often struggle to branch out to a wider audience. It's a testament that fans are so passionate about them despite technical imperfections. Most of the indie developers creating these types of games do not have a lot of experience, or are working with small budgets, and cannot afford to use pre-existing engines like Unity or hire a QA team.

Alexander Dergay at Aterdux Entertainment elaborates on the issue: “I think if these games were done better, even ours [Legends of Eisenwald], this niche would be bigger. Maybe it would find popularity. The thing is, since we were not a very experienced team, we might have made some questionable decisions about the game regarding the mechanics and also the technical problems we were unable to resolve."

"It's an issue, because if we had enough funds, I would definitely hire some kind of QA company that would run the game on different configurations and different computers and different setups," he says. "But those services are expensive -- usually a lot of indie companies can't afford them, so that's why there is this kind of reputation of projects not feeling entirely polished.”

Feudal.jpg

Life is Feudal: Your Own

Marketing and promoting games that fill such a specific niche serves as another obstacle. For “hardcore” games like Dark Souls, this hurdle is much lower thanks to Bandai Namco’s familiar name and huge marketing budget. Many indie projects like Legends of Eisenwald or Age of Decadence cannot afford promotions, or fail to gain media interest.

Funding or no, Piskunov says the biggest challenge in promoting Life is Feudal is the overall scale of the game. “People are trying to simplify things, but if you're simplifying our game, you're losing a lot of richness, “ he says. “And since you cannot pitch it in a few sentences or a few minutes, it creates a huge wall of interaction with the other person you're talking with -- influencer or media, or just other players.”

Some developers, like Battlestate Games are less concerned with pulling large numbers of fans, however, instead seeking to weed out certain types of players. Buyanov, notes:

“All the promotional materials explicitly state that the game is hard to master, and that discourages a significant percentage of players who are not fond of these kinds of games," Buyanov notes. "We do that on purpose, since our goal is not to conquer the market and sell hundreds of millions of copies, but build up an audience that is really devoted to this type of game, to get a following of not just any gamers, but people who are really enthusiastic about the genre and this particular game.”

Games that revel in hardcore realism have yet to find a footing in the mainstream gaming industry, but from the start, these have always been works of love. Many of the people making these sorts of games are living their dreams, no matter the cost. “In all seriousness, the five years of making Legends of Eisenwald were the best years of my life,” Dergay recalls fondly. “The two years after that, they're still very good because we're still doing fun stuff.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nice interviews, but the writer seems to be conflating multiple genres so he can start his article with a riff on a more popular one. Why put "realism" in your title? Just say hardcore.

Last edited:

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Good to hear Eisenwald has found an (additional) audience in China, that game is seriously underrated (generally, and on the Codex).

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Good to hear Eisenwald has found an (additional) audience in China, that game is seriously underrated (generally, and on the Codex).

I think the problem is most people don't really know what to make of Eisenwald. Not necessarily on the Codex, but what does your average player see when he looks at it provided he doesn't come from, I don't know, Heroes or King's Bounty background? It's not an RPG and isn't a strategy game which already causes confusion not to mention no one from media outlets really latched onto the game in any real capacity like they tend to do over difficulty, art style, controversy, etc with other titles.

Which is a shame because it really does warrant more attention, like you said.

Ash

Arcane
Great, more survival crafting games and realistic military shooters. The only game that seems interesting at first glance is Eisenwald. Survival games are basically RPGs without the story, he overall focus and the depth of content, sure they're different experiences and multiplayer centric, but I really don't see the appeal. Modern military shooters are almost always too focused on realism to the detriment of gameplay, and furthermore there's been an absolute shit ton of both types of games of late and the two games above don't really seem to be doing anything notably new.

Probably somewhat unfair to criticise based on only a little reading and a couple trailers, but only somewhat so. And I think my biggest issue with survival games is I've largely ignored them rather than giving them some fair experimentation. Treat it like a multiplayer game of mad fun (though such moments seem rare) rather than singleplayer with direction and extensive scripting and design.

Last edited:

Mikeal

Arcane
Life in Eastern Europe is harsh so of course they want their games to be hard, realistic and full of blood and tears. Years of peace and prosperity made Western gamers weak and unskilled thus plague of popamole games.

Plisken

Learned
there are precious few actually realistic FPSes. Note that I don't consider the widespread addition of Aim Down Sights functions to be realistic, in most games this merely functions as an alternative crosshair in an otherwise very unrealistic game. Battlefiend is not realistic, nor is counter strike and certainly not call of duty.

ArmA is realistic, until you start doing stuff for popamole audiences like 3rd person free look cameras and gamemodes that play like cheap rip off of popular mainstream FPSes. Other than that the only titles worth speaking of is Squad, Rising Storm 2 and apparently Escape from Tarkov. That's it, really. Generally the trappings of the subgenre are the antithesis of casual FPS audiences.

I'm not sure about survival games.. this is hardly new stuff worth taking note about. Wurm was doing the "tedious and unfulfilling for anyone but autistic children" thing before it was cool. This newer wave of "brootal" mmo/survival/whatever the fuck just seems like titles naturally trying to differentiate themselves from the 10s of nearly identical minecraft derivative shit.

Ash

Arcane
there are precious few actually realistic FPSes. Note that I don't consider the widespread addition of Aim Down Sights functions to be realistic, in most games this merely functions as an alternative crosshair in an otherwise very unrealistic game. Battlefiend is not realistic, nor is counter strike and certainly not call of duty.

No, they're not 100% realistic. No game is, because it's generally not an advised thing to do because it leads to sub-par gameplay. It leads to a pure simulation, not a game. So I'd suggest you check for military combat simulators (e.g join the army and enter basic training) if accurate realism simulation is what you want. However Cod, BF, Arma and hell, most modern games in general DO place a lot of emphasis in realism. More than they should, to the point it hurts gameplay. An example of this is how much emphasis is placed in realistic graphics (which is fucking expensive regarding computer performance, time and money) rather than deep diverse engaging gameplay. Or even just engaging gameplay, period.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom